Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

On 5/23/2019 at 1:45 AM, dbp said:

Had another gig where it saved the day. Fast paced interviews in a cafe, followed by B-roll in a kitchen. Tight, cramped, not much time to shoot. They only wanted 1080p, so I could easily bounce between a few primes with regular and ETC mode, all 10bit V-log. Steady handheld even with a 60mm sigma in ETC. 

By ETC do you mean the kind of sensor crop zoom?

I have found it works with no loss in 4k but with HD it looks crap, very noisy. Am I doing something wrong?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/29/2019 at 1:48 PM, Thpriest said:

I have found it works with no loss in 4k but with HD it looks crap, very noisy. Am I doing something wrong?

It's definitely nosier. Depends on what ISOs you're using, I prefer to use it at lower ISOs if I have to. 

And honestly, I have a higher tolerance for noise than most, so what seems like no big deal to me very well might be offensive to you. 

On 5/30/2019 at 1:48 AM, Thpriest said:

My understanding is the ETC mode reads 1:1 from the middle of the sensor, whereas the non-ETC modes downscale from the whole sensor (6K? something like that, anyway).

Noise is always reduced when you downscale an image, so this will kind of act as a kind of in-camera NR.  The only way to improve the ISO noise and keep the same framing is to change lenses - either to keep the same focal length but get a faster lens (narrowing the DoF of course) to bring more light into the camera, or to go for a longer focal length and not use the ETC mode.  I realise neither of these is terribly convenient, unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Shot on GH5 and GH5S with the new lens. Looks really good to me.

This lens with ETC is a powerhouse.

That's going to instantly be the 18-35mm 1.8 equivalent of the MFT world, you can see it already.

I like the fact they went wider at the wide end, 14 or even 12mm isn't wide enough I think, which is why I have an 8mm prime in my kit, and is either the 2nd or 3rd lens in my bag, depending on the situation, because nothing beats it for those 'wow' wide shots.

It will look like a 18-45 f3 on a GH5S. Which is even a bit more wide. On a GH5 with ETC it can be a 20-75 f3.5.

If one doesn’t already have fast prime already (I don’t) this is a no brainer purchase. Especially since it has manual focus clutch and reduced focus breathing and a stepless aperture wheel for smooth aperture changes.

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

It will look like a 18-45 f3 on a GH5S. Which is even a bit more wide. On a GH5 with ETC it can be a 20-75 f3.5.

If one doesn’t already have fast prime already (I don’t) this is a no brainer purchase. Especially since it has manual focus clutch and reduced focus breathing and a stepless aperture wheel for smooth aperture changes.

I agree.  I bought the 18-35/1.8 for my APSC camera on the promise that it is like having 28mm 2.8, 35mm 3.8, and 56mm 2.8 equivalent primes, all without having to change lenses, and it absolutely delivered in that sense.  When combined with Magic Lantern and its 3x crop mode, it made it into a 28-168mm zoom, which would be the perfect walk-around lens.  I only went a different way because of problems with ML and the fact the setup had no stabilisation and I shoot hand-held.

This lens is the same principle, but with the IBIS in the GH5.  Had this lens been around when I swapped to the GH5 from Canon I might have just bought it and never looked back.  Although I wonder how heavy it will be....  the 18-35 1.8 is prohibitively heavy for a hand-held walk around lens.

There may not ever be a GH6, who knows. I don't see how they can sell a m4/3 camera for as much or more than the S1 FF is. Panasonic has put their ass in a peculiar spot. What, they going to admit the GH5 was too expensive and come out with a GH6 for 1500 Dollars? They may just give up on m4/3. I don't see how you can sell them when the XT-3, Canon RS is so damn cheap now.

Look at the A6400, 900 dollars. Yeah we might not think the A6400 is the best thing since sliced bread, but to the average person getting into video it seems like a better buy being APSC than any m4/3 camera. And a lot of people don't even know Panasonic Makes cameras.

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

There may not ever be a GH6, who knows. I don't see how they can sell a m4/3 camera for as much or more than the S1 FF is. Panasonic has put their ass in a peculiar spot. What, they going to admit the GH5 was too expensive and come out with a GH6 for 1500 Dollars? They may just give up on m4/3. I don't see how you can sell them when the XT-3, Canon RS is so damn cheap now.

Look at the A6400, 900 dollars. Yeah we might not think the A6400 is the best thing since sliced bread, but to the average person getting into video it seems like a better buy being APSC than any m4/3 camera. And a lot of people don't even know Panasonic Makes cameras.

Maybe they'll bring the price down to $1500, seems to make sense to me. 

17 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Is it still worth buying a GH5 right now (~€1300) or is it better to wait for the GH6?

1 hour ago, colepat said:

I just bought a GH5. I think it will still be a beast of a camera for quite some time, even if/when the GH6 comes out this would be a great b-cam I'm sure. 

If you need a camera now the GH5 certainly isn't a bad choice. That said if you don't really need a camera its always better to wait. GH5 prices will go down even further and maybe you'll fancy something else thats come out by then. 

Kind of depends on your needs I guess. For some people a GH5 could last one 5 years, if thats all the mojo you need there simply isn't a better tool. 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, Avenger 2.0 said:

Is it still worth buying a GH5 right now (~€1300) or is it better to wait for the GH6?

I agree with previous comments..  the GH5 is a solid camera, tech marches on and if you can wait it might be worth it, etc.  I bought a GH5 late last year and haven't regretted it, but like all things you have to know what you want, when you want it, and what is out there.

I just bought a Sony X3000 action camera in preparation of a trip I'm doing in September.  It's several years old and could be replaced with something way better at almost any moment, but I bought it now because of two factors: it is the best tool for what I am doing, and I want to learn to use it first, get a rig set up, understand what modes and settings work best, etc.  I don't want to unbox it on the plane and then make all the mistakes while trying to film something real.  Having said that though, I made the decision to buy it a week before the DJI Osmo Action came out, so I waited a week just in case that changed my mind (it didn't).

So, wait if you can, but don't wait too much.  Work out what you want the camera for and how much setup time you will need (including buying accessories, them getting shipped, then them not working or you having to buy other ones, them shipping, then working out your workflow, etc) and then wait until the last moment and then just buy whatever is best.  If you wait long enough the GH5 will be so obsolete it's a paperweight, so just accept that and go make films :) 

34 minutes ago, kye said:

So, wait if you can, but don't wait too much.  Work out what you want the camera for and how much setup time you will need (including buying accessories, them getting shipped, then them not working or you having to buy other ones, them shipping, then working out your workflow, etc) and then wait until the last moment and then just buy whatever is best.  If you wait long enough the GH5 will be so obsolete it's a paperweight, so just accept that and go make films :) 

The funny thing is I don't think you can go wrong with almost any current camera nowadays. You'll kind of be set unless things change so much that people only watch things in 3D or something. 

Creativity is the biggest limit. Imagine 25 years ago when all you had to make a quality looking movie was shooting on film. We have it incredibly easy nowadays.