Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, kye said:

Much of what you say makes sense, but I disagree with some of it.

Are you aware that shooting the 12-35 f2.8 at 25mm f2.8 isn't the same as shooting a 50mm f2.8 on FF?  25mm f2.8 on MFT is the same as 50mm f5.6 on FF.  To get the same DOF on MFT as you get from FF 50mm f1.2 would require something like 25mm f0.6, which I don't think even exists.  
This is a handy tool for comparing equivalent focal lengths and apertures: https://mmcalc.com
This is a handy tool for comparing DOF: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I also disagree that f2.8 on MFT will be enough light.

Late last year I did a couple of trips with my GH5, shooting in ambient light conditions, sometimes at night (eg, streetlights and shop windows), with my Voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95, and I found two things: f0.95 was needed to reduce noise in the image, and f0.95 wasn't as crazy shallow DOF as you'd think.

This is an image I have shared previously, and I think you would agree that it's not a crazy shallow DOF shot - but this was absolutely at f0.95.

1002543976_ScreenShot2018-12-29at10_06_52am.png.48651f26fa53a0899babde2cce5089de.png

In terms of what the OP needs to film a building at night with tall ceilings only lit by candles, is probably more than what I needed when filming my family in being lit by street-lights, shop windows, and Christmas lights.

I don't know if the GH5 with fast lenses will even be enough - they might shoot it and be left with a very noisy image that suffers in quality after sufficient noise-reduction has been applied.  If they want to get any shots where their lenses aren't fully open then they're in trouble with the GH5 too, although how many of these shots they'd need is dependent on the situation and their shooting style.  At least with the A7Sii they'd have some wiggle-room in between having too shallow DOF and having too much noise in the final image.  

It's an extreme recommendation to make, but it's an extreme situation too. 

He said that most productions are shot in 4-5.6f, and that is true, so 2.8f m43 is good for S35 anyway, which is true, and S35 is STILL the industry standard.

We shoot some TV shows (which do 16-20% in the ratings, which are very good numbers for our country) with GH5 and 12-100mm and noone have asked for shallower DOF, sometimes I shoot near the defraction numbers to manage to have more things in focus.

Also, amateurs usually have the most complaints and needs. A super fast AF camera that sees in the dark and takes pictures and/or videos of little kids running around in dim lighted appartments birthday parties, which is the most difficult situation anyway..

A GH5S + a light gimbal (I’ve had my eye on Icecam Vision 3; anyone have experience with it?) is a killer combo that does almost everything well except maybe extreme DOF and if you need that then a speedbooster will fix it.

In my opinion you can’t beat the versatility of a good m4/3 camera for video like the GH5(s) series. Almost any lens can be adapted to it. It offers a great balance between DOF and lightness/size of lenses and, when you need it, can be adapted to get the look you want. Every time.

panasonic would do well to recognize this and deliver the GH6 as a full fledged video monster. Forget the photo quality. The G9 is better in that regard. 

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

A GH5S + a light gimbal (I’ve had my eye on Icecam Vision 3; anyone have experience with it?) is a killer combo that does almost everything well except maybe extreme DOF and if you need that then a speedbooster will fix it.

In my opinion you can’t beat the versatility of a good m4/3 camera for video like the GH5(s) series. Almost any lens can be adapted to it. It offers a great balance between DOF and lightness/size of lenses and, when you need it, can be adapted to get the look you want. Every time.

panasonic would do well to recognize this and deliver the GH6 as a full fledged video monster. Forget the photo quality. The G9 is better in that regard. 

What compromises for video do you think they're making to get good photo quality?  What does the G9 do better for photographs?

What about timelapses? :)

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

What light gimbal can you recommend with a GH5s?

17 hours ago, kye said:

What compromises for video do you think they're making to get good photo quality?  What does the G9 do better for photographs?

What about timelapses? :)

Not a whole lot right now. ? G9 has 20MP sensor (same as the Gh5). More robust IBIS. Pixel shift technology for ultra high MP photos (80MP) for static scenes. It’s a GH5 Tweaked a bit for just photos. It still takes great video but has a recording limit.

I was suggesting Panasonic shift the GH line to be video centric and keep the G line photo centric. As I believe the strength of M4/3 is in video and it’s less compelling in photos. Unless Panasonic can deliver a high megapixel sensor with good enough low light to be compelling against full frame. People want that shallow depth of field in their photos now and m4/3 is just not going to do it out of the box. They are the better street camera in my opinion though. Smaller lenses means more discreet.

I would like to see Panasonic move the GH6 in the same direction as they moved the GH5S. Less but bigger mega pixels for better low light. Dual ISO. Internal ND ? HDMI type-A out. Kinda like what Sony does with the A7sii versus the A7Rii. Tune the M4/3 format for video capture. They obviously think full frame is the future for their photo professionals.

A GH6 with a fixed 16MP sensor that super-samples 16MP down to a final 10MP 4K image for added noise reduction and killer electronic stabilization (GoPro 7 levels and better). The cinematic pros can flip a switch and turn off “IBIS” and have their fixed sensor and 5K anamorphic modes. Improve the dual iso performance. Include next generation DfD AF. Support 4K 120p without a crop. Better codecs, better flip screen, better weather sealing. Offer a better ND solution (internal or via adapter). Anything is better than screw on lens NDs.

10 hours ago, Shirozina said:

The Ronin-S has the integration with the Panasonic cameras to control focus and trigger recording from the gimbal without touching the camera.

That’s a great gimbal but on the heavy side. A Moza Air Cross 3 is a nice, light feature rich gimbal that I would recommend.

I wish DJI would release a Ronin-S mini or something.

20 hours ago, TurboRat said:

What light gimbal can you recommend with a GH5s?

The Zhiyun-Tech Crane-2 also works very well with the GH5 & GH5s and is inexpensive (*not* the Crane v2). We have used one for hundreds of hours. With the recent firmware updates, it also interfaces with the camera well.

Although, I will say that I prefer the angled back of the Ronin-S and the Moza Air 2, if I were buying new ones. The angled back makes it easier to see the screen on a hybrid. Also, think carefully about your gimbal selection if you eventually plan to purchase a BMPCC4K.

4 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I hope they realize that GH5 users are buying it for video and not for taking pictures. Replace the mechanical shutter with an internal ND!

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think an electronic ND feature that only works for photos would be a cool idea 

Or just implement it for both, and make the camera a bit bigger.  Hell, someone could even make a range of speed-boosters with it included (the optics would probably be required to accommodate the extra thickness) and if they updated the MFT lens mount communications protocols to support it then it could just be a bolt-on accessory without needing external power or wires or whatever.  Then every GH5, G85, G9 user could also have one.  I refuse to pay $700 for the Metabones SB but I'd pay for that.

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Why not just buy one of these.

https://www.aputure.com/products/dec-vari-nd-1

If you have to adjust the ND manually then it's no easier than having a variable ND on the front.  It's probably better optically, but it's the fact the camera can expose for me without mucking up the aesthetics that is what I'm interested in.

I want the ND to be controlled by the camera automatically like the FS5.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:44 AM, webrunner5 said:

Why not just buy one of these.

https://www.aputure.com/products/dec-vari-nd-1

I found it to be too clunky. I would have been interested if the adapter was able to draw power directly from the camera (no need for extra battery) and I could adjust the ND directly on the adapter without any extra handle and transmitter. I have found such an adapter, but it doesn't have the option for no ND or aperture control and is therefore not practical: https://www.amazon.com/Vizelex-Throttle-Mount-Adapter-Built/dp/B00N9B870W 

An automatic ND such as kye asks for would of course have been even better.

I have that same adapter and I find it works great. But yes no auto anything. But way better than futzing around with the front mounted variable ones, at least to me it's better. I guess the solution is to chuck everything and just go buy a Sony FS5 LoL. They are getting pretty cheap used. With all the firmware stuff now they are a pretty amazing camera.

The Aputure Dec device is interesting but too expensive and bulky. I just want something that looks like a speed booster that has electronic contacts on both sides for electronic passthrough and an electronic ND powered off camera batteries.

doesnt canon own metsbones? They could easily do this for their speedbooster. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a setting to allow HDMI out when shooting in open gate mode?

Not looking to record, just to show on my ext. monitor.

Hmm, have to look at the settings again.

Was kind of dismayed, that I could monitor a choral concert, and then hit record, boom, no video on the ext. monitor.

Yeah, ext. monitor is new to me...