Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

shot and gun

:) you mean run and gun

Well, that's what I am telling you above. If you point your camera to one side on a sunny day, and then move, the blue sky might be differently blue throughout the footage if variable ND is used.

22 minutes ago, mirekti said:

:) you mean run and gun

Well, that's what I am telling you above. If you point your camera to one side on a sunny day, and then move, the blue sky might be differently blue throughout the footage if variable ND is used.

??? yes "run and gun". Thanks for your suggestions.

4 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Out if curiosity: do you prefer a fix ND filter fix or a variable ND filter for your GH5? I mean for video. Thanks

It depends on what you value.

A fixed ND will mean you need to adjust the camera settings to get perfect exposure - eg, vary the ISO, shutter, or aperture.  A variable ND allows you to shoot with your preferred settings and adjust exposure with the ND.

My preference was to get a high-quality ND without the dreaded X pattern for a reasonable amount of money, and I don't mind about using shutter to adjust exposure.  Your preferences are probably different, but these are what you are prioritising when you decide.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 9:31 PM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I'm a non-happy owner of a Lumix GH5, if I want to shoot in rec.2020 with my GH5, what should I do please? What is the easiest step to do? Thanks.

Picture profile/HLG

On 12/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, mirekti said:

Has anyone tested 120fps on GH5S with the latest firmware, are the issues fixed?

Also, is it still preferable to use Cine D instead of vlog for VFR?

It is preferable to use a preadjusted profile like Cine D when using 8bit. Too much post on 8bit vlog can produce colour artifacts. If using 10bit then whatever you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, what's up here in the world of cameras? Did a little fighty thingy when I had the GH5 for a sec. Threw in some curves, tested the 10bit 4k and the 180fps and and... I think I didn't touch the vlog as the weather was greyish so no need for more dynamic range. Had some kind off a speedbooster on top of it.

I don't even have an opinion on it. It worked? Didn't notice anything weird yet. You could probably happily shoot a film with the GH5 (just get a monitor for it).

4 hours ago, hmcindie said:

I don't even have an opinion on it. It worked? Didn't notice anything weird yet. You could probably happily shoot a film with the GH5 (just get a monitor for it).

Nice short!

My theory is that the latter leads to the former.. The camera is a workhorse and we probably see footage from it all the time without knowing it.  Considering how much of what we see is shot on the high end cine cameras from ARRI / RED / Canon / Sony / etc footage from a $2k camera not standing out is a pretty big achievement.  

On 1/7/2019 at 5:58 AM, hmcindie said:

Hey everybody, what's up here in the world of cameras? Did a little fighty thingy when I had the GH5 for a sec. Threw in some curves, tested the 10bit 4k and the 180fps and and... I think I didn't touch the vlog as the weather was greyish so no need for more dynamic range. Had some kind off a speedbooster on top of it.

That is some damn good action! Makes me want to do another action short. 

Hello, the next months I will go to make a short documentary in the Coptic churches with poor light.The churches at night lit up little more than with candlelight of many faithful. Can anyone advise me how to configure the GH5 to get a good video inside the churches? I have the Leica 12-60mm f / 2.8 lens.
Outside I want to film in 50p but maybe inside it would be better to film in 25p to get more light. Quite right? Thank you.

The GH5 is good but not great in low-light, therefore you want to use the fastest lenses you can get.  This will also mean that your depth of field will be relatively shallow - unfortunately there is no way around this with this camera.

Your 12-60 f2.8 isn't a very fast lens.  I would suggest either getting fast MFT lenses like the Voigtlander F0.95 series primes, or getting a speed booster and using something like the 18-35 f1.8.  These will require manually focusing.

I recently filmed a lot with my GH5 at night using only the ambient available lights and I found that I really needed to use my Voitlander 17.5mm f0.95 with the aperture fully open at 0.95.

The alternative is to rent another camera setup that will have better low-light performance.  Perhaps something like the A7SII or A7III with a 24-70 F2.8 lens.  This setup would enable you to get noise-free shots with a deeper depth of field than the GH5/fast-lens combination.

Yeah with the 12-60 you can't zoom in to 60 inside dark places coz you gonna lose light. Get a cheap prime like the Pana 25mm f1.7 or the Oly 45mm f1.8. Also, dont bump your Iso too much if you dont want noise. If you can use Neat to denoise, you can get away with increasing ISO then denoise in Neat.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:07 PM, FoxAdriano said:

Hello, the next months I will go to make a short documentary in the Coptic churches with poor light.The churches at night lit up little more than with candlelight of many faithful. Can anyone advise me how to configure the GH5 to get a good video inside the churches? I have the Leica 12-60mm f / 2.8 lens.
Outside I want to film in 50p but maybe inside it would be better to film in 25p to get more light. Quite right? Thank you.

I have the GH5, GH5s, BMPCC4K and several others. I have filmed hundreds of events over the past couple of years, in some very low light environments (lots of bands, weddings, and live events). In terms of noise, the best low light camera of the three that I listed is the GH5s, by far. ISO 10000 on the GH5s has very little noise and the GH5s is MUCH better than the GH5 in terms of noise performance. ISO 25,600 is usable on the GH5s with noise reduction in Davinci Resolve. I don't like to use higher than ISO3200 on my GH5, due to the excessive noise.

Given the extreme low light nature of your upcoming shoot, I suggest that you rent one of the Sony cameras, like the A7SII or an A7III with 2.8 or better lenses. The Sony cameras seem to be around two stops better in low light performance, vs. my GH5s. If you can only use the GH5, you absolutely must use some very fast prime lenses. I have the Sigma 16mm / f1.4, Sigma 30mm / f1.4, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95, Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2,  and Sigma 18-35 f1.8, among others. Any of these lenses would be a good choice for your project. In my opinion, the GH5 with an f2.8 lens will not be good enough for your project.

Best of luck on your project!

1 hour ago, FoxAdriano said:

Ok, thanks. Out of curiosity: if I use Resolve, is there an integrated filter like Neat Video so that I can do without buying the plugins for Edius 9?

The paid version has both spatial and temporal noise reduction. I am pretty sure the temporal NR isn't in the free version but the spatial one might be.

There's a bunch of plugins with the free version and a whole bunch more with the paid one. Plus everything that's in Fusion which seems to be enormously complicated and thorough.