Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

7 hours ago, buggz said:

I always wanted to get the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter, however, the controls are on the LEFT side.
I work from the RIGHT side.

Anyone try the Lanparte extension cable for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter?
Suppossedly the Canon OC-3 external flash cable adapter works also?

These would be great, if they work, allowing you to mount how you wanted, and NOT on the hot shoe mount of the camera body.

What do you mean left side? Arent the controls at the back? you can turn it before sliding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Why not just display the microphone level on the recording screen?

Hmm, I think that is actually being performed as is set up.

I need to play with the GH5 rig some more.

My biggest problem is that I bounce around from the X-T2 rig, and the GH5 rig, hard to keep up sometimes.

Anywho, family Thanksgiving is beckoning, later...

Happy Thanksgiving to EVERYONE!

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Hello all, new to the forum and just wanted to ask a quick question before I ask a hundred more.  Whats your favorite MFT macro lens for the GH5?

Thanks for any tips. 

I always, on every system, shot macro with manual focus so I would get a lens that has good manual focus and adapt, i would totally not get anything with focus-by-wire.

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

I always, on every system, shot macro with manual focus so I would get a lens that has good manual focus and adapt, i would totally not get anything with focus-by-wire.

So basically save my cash and keep doing it the way I've always done it.  Perfect. I thought maybe they were something ground breaking.  

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And this article confirms that point of view. ;)  

On 11/30/2018 at 1:06 PM, Thatguy said:

So basically save my cash and keep doing it the way I've always done it.  Perfect. I thought maybe they were something ground breaking.  

And this article confirms that point of view. ;)  

Well the best lens to buy in my opinion is the Olympus 60mm f2.8 for Marco. And it does AF. But yeah for best results you should always MF if possible. Shooting tiny things is Never going to be easy as heck, especially live things that move, or Bite!

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-MSC-60mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B0096WDK0K

23 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I'm a non-happy owner of a Lumix GH5, if I want to shoot in rec.2020 with my GH5, what should I do please? What is the easiest step to do? Thanks.

This is an interesting question and I did some googling and I think it said that HLG is rec2100, but maybe I didn't understand that correctly.

Does anyone know for sure?

I recently got my GH5 (I know, I'm late to the game).  I'm quite happy with the images I'm getting with my Oly 12-40 2.8, though I I wish it was a bit more sensitive in low light like the GH5s.

I've read through the forums to piece together different advice on shooting HDR with the GH5 and the Shogun Inferno.  It would be great if someone could validate my setup or offer suggestions.

Camera settings: PS is HLG, System Frequency 59.94, Record format MOV,  Rec Quality UHD4K 10-bit 24p, 4k60p is set to 10-bit 422, Down convert off, HDMI timecode on, etc.

Shogun Inferno: ProRes 422, monitor with AtomHDR with "Camera" set to Rec2100,  Gamma set to HLG, and Gammut BT2020, +3.6 stops over SDR for scene brightness (i'm relying more on the waveform than what I see with my eye)

Exposure: depends on scene, but generally 1 stop over for less noise, and recover highlights in post, custom white balance, chip chart, blah blah

Post: Resolve 15.1, source gamma Rec2100 HLG, Target Gamma Rec2100 HLG, and Target color space Rec 2020

Post monitoring: Decklink 4K mini monitor via HDMI 2.0 to the Shogun Inferno with AtomHDR set to Camera Rec2100, HLG gamma, and bt2020 gamut, SDR +3.6 for scene brightness.  In Resolve, HDR metadata over HMDI set to on in project settings

Let me know how I could correct/improve this.  I'm new to the HDR workflow on the GH5.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Out if curiosity: do you prefer a fix ND filter fix or a variable ND filter for your GH5? I mean for video. Thanks

Variable ND filter also works as a circular polarizer. That means if your front is rotating it will have funny effects. The other thing is (even if your front ring is non rotating) when you start to move the camera and change the angle of source light towards lens’ front element it will have funny effects.

Does fixed ND filter have such issues? No, it does not, but it also doesn’t have a feature of circular polarizer.

My point, you need to know when to use each and why.