Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, kye said:

Now I have a question!

Would these two workflows provide the same colour and gamut?

1. ARRI Alexa recording in LogC -> standard LogC to Rec709 conversion
  2. GH5 in HLG -> HLG (Pre) LUT -> Main LUT

If so, then in theory these two would also be the same:

1. ARRI Alexa recording in LogC -> LogC to Rec709 conversion via a film conversion LUT in Resolve
  2. GH5 in HLG -> HLG (Pre) LUT -> Main LUT -> Rec709 to LogC conversion -> LogC to Rec709 conversion via a film conversion LUT in Resolve

Or have a missed something?

There are a bunch of LUTs that expect a LogC input and this seems like the best way to get a LogC output while still maintaining the Alexa 'look'.

Ah, by Main I'm referring to the end in itself of Alexa color. If a film conversion route is the goal, the LogC variation is the way to go.

Main is different from LogC+R709 - its much nicer. It has the R709 primaries built in, and a film styled envelope that is often associated with Alexa color.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I will reach Africa and I need to buy a good ND filter for my GH5. I take only video. Do you know if there is a a 62mm ND filter among Nisi, Breakthrough and Syrp? I need 6 stop. I trust these brands. Thanks for some info

Formatt Hitech 62mm Firecrest ND 1.8 Filter (6 stop). They work great

1 hour ago, mirekti said:

@Sage How does Data Level impact the conversion, should it be left at video or full throughout the Davinci path (Media tab -> clip attributes, Project Settings -> Video monitoring, Deliver -> Advanced settings )? 

You'll want them at Auto, and Video for the Project settings. The exception is for VLog wrapped in ProRes or DNxHD - these clips should be set to full (if the ProRes PRE is not used), because the correct Full flagging is hidden in a Video level codec

1 hour ago, Sage said:

You'll want them at Auto, and Video for the Project settings. The exception is for VLog wrapped in ProRes or DNxHD - these clips should be set to full (if the ProRes PRE is not used), because the correct Full flagging is hidden in a Video level codec

I am using DNxHD. Does this mean I could either use ProRes PRE or simply keep the levels set to full throughout the video?
Or you'd recommend to use Auto at Clip Attributes in in Edit tab, apply ProRes PRE in Color tab. In Project Settings, under Video Monitoring -> Data levels Video, and eventually in Deliver tab again Video? The Auto option is only available in Deliver tab and in Edit tab under Clip attributes. 

On 11/4/2018 at 12:35 PM, mirekti said:

I am using DNxHD. Does this mean I could either use ProRes PRE or simply keep the levels set to full throughout the video?
Or you'd recommend to use Auto at Clip Attributes in in Edit tab, apply ProRes PRE in Color tab. In Project Settings, under Video Monitoring -> Data levels Video, and eventually in Deliver tab again Video? The Auto option is only available in Deliver tab and in Edit tab under Clip attributes.

Yep, either way will do. You can keep those both at auto - or set clip attributes to Full (when not using the PRE)

Hi, I have the GH5 which has been updated with the latest update. I shoot only at 50p in UHD. I would like to know if I can enable the HDR but I don't think it is possible. I have a TV with HDR.

Some suggestions please:

1) In your opinion, is it better to set my GH5 with rec709 or YUV 420 rec2020?

2) Is it better I shoot at rec2020 with my GH5 and I edit at rec2020 with Edius 9?
Thank you for some info.

Hi, could you clear some worrires please? I shoot with GH5 only at 50p Pal System.
Do you get a better UHD video by shooting in MP4 LPCM or MOV? They are options to choose in Rec format.

Then,
I'm noticing in HDMI recording output/Bit mode 4K/50p I have the option to activate 4:2:2 10bit.
But I've always known that you can shoot in 4:2:2 only at 25p. What does it happen if I enable 4: 2: 2 10bit and I shoot at 50p?

Then:
I don't see "Color space" on the GH5 Menu. Could you tell me where it is precisely?
Thanks a lot for clearing up.

I always wanted to get the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter, however, the controls are on the LEFT side.
I work from the RIGHT side.

Anyone try the Lanparte extension cable for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter?
Suppossedly the Canon OC-3 external flash cable adapter works also?

These would be great, if they work, allowing you to mount how you wanted, and NOT on the hot shoe mount of the camera body.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:15 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I have the GH5 which has been updated with the latest update. I shoot only at 50p in UHD. I would like to know if I can enable the HDR but I don't think it is possible. I have a TV with HDR.

Some suggestions please:

1) In your opinion, is it better to set my GH5 with rec709 or YUV 420 rec2020?

2) Is it better I shoot at rec2020 with my GH5 and I edit at rec2020 with Edius 9?
Thank you for some info.

MP4 HEVC for your panasonic hdr tv is 25p only.

When you say Rec2020 do you mean the HLG Colour Style? That is only available at 25p, not 50p.

For editing in post at 50p and you want the most dynamic range then CineD is good, then add a post LUT from Eoshd or LeemingLutPro. 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:47 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, could you clear some worrires please? I shoot with GH5 only at 50p Pal System.
Do you get a better UHD video by shooting in MP4 LPCM or MOV? They are options to choose in Rec format.

Then,
I'm noticing in HDMI recording output/Bit mode 4K/50p I have the option to activate 4:2:2 10bit.
But I've always known that you can shoot in 4:2:2 only at 25p. What does it happen if I enable 4: 2: 2 10bit and I shoot at 50p?

Then:
I don't see "Color space" on the GH5 Menu. Could you tell me where it is precisely?
Thanks a lot for clearing up.

LPCM MP4 and MOV are the same files, different "container". No difference. Use LPCM if using PC. 

HDMI recording mode refers to sending the signal out the HDMI socket to an external recorder. That is the only way you can get 10bit at 50p.

Colour space is called "photo style" in the movie menu, page 1.