Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey everyone, been going back and forth on a ton of ideas, and have landed at looking at GH5 for a few reasons. I am all canon at the moment, considered a c100 and EOS R, but those I don't think are going to really work. SO now looking at GH5 for:

- IBIS with their 12-35 f/2.8 lens. Dual IS
- No recording time limit and Clean HDMI out. Live Streaming, Events longer than 29:59 which I do a bunch of at work.
- 1080 up to 180p. I use slo mo a lot now at 60p and it’s OK, but 120 or 180 would be awesome

How would a GH5 + 12-35 f/2.8 & 35-100 f/2.8 compare to Canon with 24-70 and 70-200?
Does that native combo do well or should I look at Metabones, for my Canon Glass?
Is low light really that bad on GH5?
Will it match Canon 80d and 6d2 footage?
Is IBIS + Dual lens IS great? or just a little better than Canon IS lenses?

Budget was around $3,500 and this could get body and 2 lenses, or body, adapter, and 1 lens. Already have 80d, 6d2, 16-35 f/4, 35 f/2, 70-200 f/2.8, 18-135 USM, 10-18 STM, Nifty 50. 

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, BrunoLandMedia said:

How would a GH5 + 12-35 f/2.8 & 35-100 f/2.8 compare to Canon with 24-70 and 70-200?

Is low light really that bad on GH5?

Will it match Canon 80d and 6d2 footage?

What are you wanting to compare about the lenses,  and what cannons are you talking about the f/2.8s or f/4s?

First you need to define low light, as that's a concept that's not the same for everyone.

matching footage will require grading.

Does anyone know the price history of the GH5 and when it's likely to drop in price further?

I haven't been following it, but now it's in first place in my list so I'm wondering about timing.  I'm gathering that some of these new cameras being released are going to replace GH5s and thus the used price will drop?

1 hour ago, matthere said:

@kyeNot sure geographically where you are, but I use camerapricebuster for UK price histories on cameras and lenses..

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Panasonic/Panasonic-G-System-Cameras/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH5-Camera-Body not sure if there are other versions of the site, but this may give you what you need?

Thanks - it kind of does.  

I was more thinking something like "it went down when the GH5S came out and people upgraded and then the retail went down before xmas and then people sold a bunch  when the A7III was released" etc..  Do cameras drop in price when newer competing cameras are announced, or released, or is it more seasonal, eg xmas?

8 hours ago, kye said:

Does anyone know the price history of the GH5 and when it's likely to drop in price further?

I haven't been following it, but now it's in first place in my list so I'm wondering about timing.  I'm gathering that some of these new cameras being released are going to replace GH5s and thus the used price will drop?

Don't know, but I see them listed on FM from $1100 - $1200 right now.

36 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes he makes a very lot of good points in that video. We sort of take it for granted.  But the GH5, GH5s are one hell of a good film making tool for the money.

Really other than the new PK4, none of the new FF cameras, and the Fuji have added Anything to talk about over what a GH5 has had 2 years ago. And most of them have a Hell of a lot less features. And now you can buy a used GH5 cheaper than any of the new cameras, even the PF4. Interesting. We really haven't gained crap other than some pretty nice options on the PK4, Raw in particular, the the C port, and the mini XLR is nice also. Oh and the menus are damn nice also on the screen.

Other than the Fuji X-T3 for photos I don't see hardly Any edge for film making on the Canon, or Nikon, Fuji offerings over the GH5, GH5s.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Really other than the new PK4, none of the new FF cameras, and the Fuji have added Anything to talk about over what a GH5 has had 2 years ago. And most of them have a Hell of a lot less features. And now you can buy a used GH5 cheaper than any of the new cameras, even the PF4. Interesting. We really haven't gained crap other than some pretty nice options on the PK4, Raw in particular, the the C port, and the mini XLR is nice also. Oh and the menus are damn nice also on the screen.

Other than the Fuji X-T3 for photos I don't see hardly Any edge for film making on the Canon, or Nikon, Fuji offerings over the GH5, GH5s.

Usable continuous auto focus is a big feature IMHO. For me people tend to forget that the XT3 is APSC. Yes Panasonic was the first SLR to include 10 bit (well the GH4 had it externally), but Fuji is the first to include 10 bit on an APSC sensor up to 60p 4k.

I've always liked Panasonic, but to be fair they've really held back with auto focus development for no apparent reason. Sony and Panasonic are both really innovative for video, just in different ways. For me Fuji has taken the best parts of Panasonic and Sony and put them in one camera, only with better color science.

But yeah for the traditional video makers who don't need the new age auto focus, the GH5 and S are still great. The waveform monitoring and timecode are certainly one of a kind in this format of camera.

I have not seen Any of the new offerings, even this new Canon EOS R, have what I would call dependable AF in Video mode, none. And I would say the Fuji is the worse of the bunch for AF, dependable AF. Sure the Panasonic sucks also. I am sure with some firmware updates Canon will get it figured out. Even the Nikon is great at Times, But to depend on it. Nah not me. Once I see a few niggles in a film where the AF is off I spend the rest of the film looking for it to happen, and not even pay attention to the plot. It is disturbing as hell to see crappy AF. Just terrible.

I would trust an old C100 mk II, or a 1DX mk II better than these new cameras. Heck the Sony A7 mk III seems better than this last batch of cameras for AF. I am not impressed from what I have seen. Will they get better with updates, I am sure they will Try.

For me it is a simple equation..  if you want IBIS for use with MF / vintage / cine primes then this is the camera.

I think that "50 reasons" video is quite compelling..  partly because it wasn't 7 reasons, and because the reasons were "it has feature X and P4K doesn't", not the usual "feature X is 7% better" that these videos are normally full of.

The fact that "It's also a stills camera" was only one of the reasons was quite telling I think!!

I'm now an official member of the GH5 owners club.  Spent three hours last night trying to understand the settings and set up the camera how I want it.  I am so confused!!

I'll work it out, but holy wow, the complex interactions of the record format, record quality, VFR option, and system frequency settings are making my brain hurt..

53 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm now an official member of the GH5 owners club.  Spent three hours last night trying to understand the settings and set up the camera how I want it.  I am so confused!!

I'll work it out, but holy wow, the complex interactions of the record format, record quality, VFR option, and system frequency settings are making my brain hurt..

Let Griffin Hammond walk you through it.

Alternatively, you can just download his settings over at YT, place them on your SD card and import to camera - mission complete in a couple seconds. And congratulations!

Thanks @jonpais - I actually watched his video last night!

I just wrote a big post asking how to set things up the way I wanted, but I figured it out.  I now have C1 as C4K-10bit, C2 as 4K60, and C3 as 1080p180, with all of them in Aperture priority and auto-ISO.  I couldn't work out how to set this up until I realised I could set a bunch of things in "Camera-M" mode but then save them to the Custom modes...  I was in the Custom mode looking for movie settings that weren't available in the menus!  A confusing start, but I think I'm there.

So now, 24 hours after bought it, I think I'm ready to record my first test clip! ???

I only have the 14mm 2.5 on it for the moment until next week when my m42 adapter and lenses show up.  I'm anticipating another steep learning curve at that point :)

Of course, there will also be learning curves when: I pull footage into Resolve for the first time, I buy the V-Log update, I get the GHa package, etc etc etc... :)