Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I just want to clarify, I don't doubt the 10-bit 4:2:2 V-log in the GH5 has higher DR than anything the GH4 can produce. I was just comparing Cine-D.

Yeah I know, I really don't think CineD has more dynamic range on the GH4, could be wrong. Especially not as dramatic as in that video(which is why I think its extended ISO, because dynamic range is pretty dramatically worse with it). 

@Dan Sherman that wouldnt be the image related attributes though, anonim might refer to himself in answer to my question pointed at him. :) Anyhow thanks for letting readers of this forum know, of course. I came to really appreciate these benefits as I have been shooting with this camera around thirty hours of footage this year.

@Mattias Burling, I hope you find the right answer to your request regarding CineD quality on the G9. Interesting sidenote: EBU has rated the GH5s with DR in HLG, CineD and VLOG at 13 plus stops.

46 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

If so, why supporting the idea of preferring Gh4s image quality over a G9?

No, quite contrary... but as I see/understand it with my modest knowledge, all concept of comparing DR of GH4 and GH5 in a such way looks to me, say... bizarre, so it seems to me nice to show respect and try to think in comments with touch of bizarre accent :)

So, again, if - in spite of all efforts from Panasonic to convince that GH5 represents progress in every aspect (except battery life and weight) in comparison with GH4 - Mattias with his extraordinaire experience and authority has some doubt - I simply think that it is very hard to uncover something that he already don't know.

@anonim I think opinions are beautiful but not necessarily facts, regardless of authority one holds in the eyes of some of ones beholders coming with the flavours of great variety of accents.

I think Mattias is an avid learner who finds no trouble to not to worry about anyones authority nor the lack of chance of learning from others, if he sees it himself. I for one don´t know about his extraordinaire experience in general. I for sure see him as an authority when it comes to beautiful made opinion pieces, reviews, visual essays, fantastic retrospectives of gear and greatly spoken words.

I don´t think comparing footage is bizarre, neither shooting and comparing it oneself, especially ahead of shooting pieces for others or for jobs.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@Mattias Burling, I hope you find the right answer to your request regarding CineD quality on the G9. Interesting sidenote: EBU has rated the GH5s with DR in HLG, CineD and VLOG at 13 plus stops.

Even more than Panasonic themselves claim. I will have my salt shaker ready for them in the future :)

• Super Members
7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

So, when you gonna try an 80mpixel portrait of Gunpowder with your new/used:) G9? You would need her in a calm position though:)

Treats goes a long way :)

Got some nice shots of her yesterday with the G85 + Viltrox. Also did a street session, really wished I would have had a top display. 

Luckily I've finally located a couple of used G9s that costs less than the a brand new GH5 (which is $550 off right now). It makes it psychologically easier to pay the premium for the G9.

This from an article about the influences in Better Call Saul (shot with the Red Dragon and Angenieux zooms):

One of the Breaking Bad trademarks that Gilligan wanted to maintain for Better Call Saul is placing the camera in unusual spots. For many of those shots, Albert used a very compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4. “We put it on the ground shooting straight up, inside a coffee cup, on a threshold. Anywhere you could stick a camera, we put a camera,” he says. “When we were shooting a driving shot, I put it on the ground and Bob Odenkirk, who is a brilliant driver, very precisely drove over it without touching it. We were always looking for unusual shots.”

source

A quick test dynamic range, now it's getting darker, tomorrow morning I'll try again, the test is performed so that it has been exposed to highlights zebra 95% (BM Assist Monitor), all cameras - internal record. 1080p25 + Panasonic 12-35f2.8 

test: https://vimeo.com/user9259559/review/290741717/c75810bee5

GX80 - it's not as good as I thought ?

BEST - GH5/BMPCC, second place GH4 .......................................and GX80,

can be downloaded from VIMEO (original ProRes422) , BMPCC in RAW test tomorrow.

IMG_1724.JPG

18 minutes ago, tonysss said:

A quick test dynamic range, now it's getting darker, tomorrow morning I'll try again, the test is performed so that it has been exposed to highlights zebra 95% (BM Assist Monitor), all cameras - internal record. 1080p25 + Panasonic 12-35f2.8 

BEST - GH5/BMPCC, second place GH4 .......................................and GX80,

Link doesn't work bro

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, tonysss said:

IMG_1724.JPG

Awesome, I will download as soon as I get home. Again, really appreciate it!