Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, jonpais said:

This is probably going to be the final beta v801, with the new LUTs being sent out shortly. Skin tones less orange/magenta. Remember, you’ve got to ETTR and set saturation in camera to -5 with the new version.

Sample

This looks rather good. One quick question as I am not so familiar with HLG. Once you ETTR, take you footage in HLR and apply this LUT one can start with grading or HLG is not so much suited for this and it is better to use V-Log-L?
Also, as HLG doesn't work with VBR, I have read that Cine-D is the way to go when let's say 120fps is in use. Will there be or is there a matching LUT for Cine-D as well?
Thanks and cheers.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:54 AM, jonpais said:

This is probably going to be the final beta v801, with the new LUTs being sent out shortly. Skin tones less orange/magenta. Remember, you’ve got to ETTR and set saturation in camera to -5 with the new version.

Sample

Did you have any issue with green cast with 801?

I'm playing with some test footage I shot today to compare 502 vs 801. literally everything was set identically (and I mean everything) other than changing saturation to -5.

801 is darker, but when ever I try and brighten it up, i get a green cast! 

I have one question related to external recording to Atomos. In GH HDMI is set to 4k 50/60p, internal recording is set to 4k 23.98.

What is the fps rate Atomos is recording? When I import to Davinci it shows 23.98 fps, but not sure if I checked anything and Davinci auto converts or Atomos is really recording in 23.98 fps even though the output is GH settings is set to 50/60p.

34 minutes ago, anonim said:

Wouldn't it be missed ideal timing opportunity - regarding new BMP4K and more manufacturer's external 10bit solution - if Panasonic technically could, but refuse to implement ProRes Raw codec in both GH5 versions?

Panasonic wouldn't implement ProRes raw, they would implement raw (not the same thing) out over hdmi. If they can/will is most likely a technical discussion not a sales/marketing one.

• Super Members

According to this test the GH5 looks like it has worse dynamic range than the GH4 in Cine D. It makes sense given the larger pixels.

Does anyone know of any other tests on the subject or have the cameras and feel like uploading some files?

I've been shooting all weekend with the G85 to determine if I should get the G9, the X-H1 or something else. I could go G9 but getting even lower than the already quite terrible DR isn't very exciting.

(I have considered the GH5 wich is way cheaper than the other two, but I need a top LCD. Otherwise I would have just stuck to the G85.)

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

According to this test the GH5 looks like it has worse dynamic range than the GH4 in Cine D. It makes sense given the larger pixels.

Does anyone know of any other tests on the subject or have the cameras and feel like uploading some files?

I've been shooting all weekend with the G85 to determine if I should get the G9, the X-H1 or something else. I could go G9 but getting even lower than the already quite terrible DR isn't very exciting.

(I have considered the GH5 wich is way cheaper than the other two, but I need a top LCD. Otherwise I would have just stuck to the G85.)

Brother the dude in that test was using extended ISO. This decreases dynamic range. They are the same in CineD otherwise. Vlog and HLG you get at least a stop more. The XH1 has pretty solid dynamic range in Flog and Eterna. 

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would not trust some random YouTuber. Dxo has the gh5 at 13 stops!

https://www.dxomark.com/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5-sensor-review-best-performer-in-the-lineup/