Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, mercer said:

I’m more of a 2:39 than 4:3 guy but you had some nice compositions in there and I quite liked that Voight. Interesting subject, her anger translated well on screen, excited to see what you come up with for your short.

Thanks, I'm always for 2.39 or so... except when I'm not :) I mean, it depends of message and atmosphere, for this a la Lynch atmosphere I choose 4:3, maybe even full square... Here I made test shots also with new Panasonic L Monochrome D profile, I think to maybe save color just for specific trails, dreams, rare moments out of claustrophobia etc. L Monochrome D is very subtle.

About camera... At the moment, I do not think about them anymore... GH5 is so well rounded instrument, as also A7III or Canon 5D III with their specific advances, I believe and Fuji, maybe Olympus EM1 II also (eventually I'll try it). But I have to admit that I'm exclusively interested for task of conveying some ideas in realm of moving images, i. e.  out of my primary  domain of literature - not in comparison per se between these cameras mostly very capable to achieve enough professional level of usability. So, problem for me is not anymore camera or lenses, or, even less, ideas  - but to find non-professional actors, people willing to "act" articulations of their own personal shadows, which especially interested me.

But I have to point out from core-"naive" experience of my sort of "guerilla production" that 10bit or raw (as also  good ibis) do mean a lot in situations when I have to save imperfect shots to become at least usable. So, about @jonpais observation about hard-to-look back from FF to m43 - it seems to me that for my specific usage at least 10bit image and capable ibis (because of so often not fully controlled situations) are minimum when I have the opportunity to choose... so, obviously, from these practical reasons, for the moment I'm best settled with GH5.  

20 hours ago, mercer said:

I’m more of a 2:39 than 4:3 guy but you had some nice compositions in there and I quite liked that Voight. Interesting subject, her anger translated well on screen, excited to see what you come up with for your short.

I concur : ) For some reason, came to my mind Tarkovsky and his Katok i Skripka... aka The Steamroller and The Violin

• 2 weeks later...

This from DPReview’s assessment of Panasonic’s GX9 autofocus:

Sure, the GX9 wouldn’t be my first choice for critical, action-oriented work (and Panasonic makes higher-end models for that sort of purpose anyway).

Do they really? Where can I buy it? ? Apologies for the trolling.

17 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This from DPReview’s assessment of Panasonic’s GX9 autofocus:

Sure, the GX9 wouldn’t be my first choice for critical, action-oriented work (and Panasonic makes higher-end models for that sort of purpose anyway).

Do they really? Where can I buy it? ? Apologies for the trolling.

They are Really going to have to do something about AF or they are going to be out of business. AF is hot now even for Video. Having Crappy Photo and Video AF. Why even buy one?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@webrunner5 I believe it was Ted Forbes, in one of his videos about the upcoming Nikon mirrorless, who says that the lens motors in CDAF and PDAF systems are mechanically different. Is this so, and if it is, what would that mean for Panasonic?

I really am not the one to ask about this LoL. All I know is that the Olympus cameras are a hell of a lot better than Panny on Photo AF. I hardly Ever used video Focus on my Oly cameras so I don't know how well that works. But I can't say my G7 was terrible in Video AF, or the GH3, but in this day and age they are way behind DPAF and even Sony now. I know the Panasonic cameras do not have Phase detect Sensors on the sensor for AF.  They Only use Contrast ones. 225 on the GH5.

I Think Olympus is comparing both types of sensors at the same time to get the better focus they have over Panasonic. But the old Olympus 4/3 lenses Only work with Phase detect sensors. Now there is not as many Phase Detect sensors on the sensor.

Focus points on the Original EM1.

81 in contrast detection autofocus mode

37 in phase detection autofocus mode

121-point All-cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF points on the EM1 mk II. A big difference! And ALL cross point to boot! Per Olympus "it is equipped with DUAL FAST AF which allows the camera to set optimal contrast AF and On-chip Phase Detection AF, along with the high-performance TruePic VII image processor, making it a Compact System Camera with pro-level performance. "

Almost sounds like the MK II doesn't even Have Contrast Detection AF points anymore??? But, and maybe a big but, it is not as good at Video AF as the De Focus stuff on the Panasonic cameras. I really don't know?

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/52042656

How do you guys and girls expose your 400mbps V-log? I'm renting this camera in a bit and just looking to make sure everything is in place. I generally over-expose Sony camera's by two stops, is this still necessary with the 10-bit 4:2:2 codec? I know I never felt the need with Blackmagic camera's for example, but if I don't over-expose Sony camera's the noise will get insane.

4 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Can someone explain to me how to turn on HLG 4.2.2 and something over 72 mbps? I can see only option for 72 mbps 4.2.0 10 bit 30 and 24 fps when I choose HEVC codec on GH5. 

There isn’t a higher bitrate in HEVC.