Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Hi, I'm sorry for my urgency but in 2 days I have to buy a monopod in carbon fibre (for video) and without 3 small legs at the bottom. It is a good brand and I have to buy a monopod with 2 options. The one with 6 sections or with 5 sections. I will use it in countryside and not in town. I never used a monopod, thanks for your suggestions.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

But it is impossible to buy it from Europe in 10 days. I'm thinking about Vary-i.

I always shoot in sunny days and I'd like some help. Do tou know Vary-i? https://vary-i.com/
I'd like to buy only VARY-i solo for the GH5/GH5s. Is it useful? I already know it is useful but I'd like to know info from users.
I thank you for your info.

I bought gimbal Zhiyun Crane Plus oe week ago for my GH5 and after 2 days I sold it. I never I threw so much money badly like this time. My GH5 has: Leica 12-60mm + ND variable filter and Zhiyun Crane Plus cant manage that long lens. Many times the lens clashed with the arms of the gimbal. It is a big pain.

I told you to buy the Ronin S but nooo LoL. As to the Monopod I have no clue how tall you are? You don't need one that is really higher than your head unless you are going to stand on a ladder all day or on steep hills! The longer it is the heavier it will be. But better too long than too short. Sort of like the Ronin S,, better to be too big than not big enough.

That grip, hell you are going to need a Grip, and 2 Land Rovers just to carry all your stuff. You better be as big as I am or you are going to be Huffing and Puffing LoL. ?

webrunner5,

I think we are not able to understand each other. ;) You never sugegsted a Ronin S and : 1° Ronin S is not available yet and it is a lot heavy. I remember you suggest me to buy a mechanical steady. In Augost I will leave and if I had to buy a Ronin S I really would need 2 Land Lovers, opsss ... sorry Rovers.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:43 PM, webrunner5 said:

And it Really works LoL.  It would be perfect for what you are doing. Because you have a Monopod right in it.I have had, and have 2 different electronic Gimbals now. They are Fragile as hell, even expensive ones. The arm that the camera is on is stupid easy to break on them. When you turn the power off on them they are limp as hell, swinging all over the place. No way I would Ever go to Africa and try and film people with one unless I had 2 spare ones! I am telling you it WILL break. Somebody, kids mostly, will want to hold it, Bingo, dead on arrival.

Standing in your driveway, and out in the Bush is two completely different environments. They are not made for rough use unless you buy the Movi one that cost 3000 bucks. And even that you can break it. The motors on them are like toy stuff. They were designed for making small Robots, not for taking a beating out in the woods. To save money and weight the cheap ones use cheap ass stuff in them, plain and simple.

The Only one I can see that Might work is the DJI Ronin-S, and it is not cheap and it is Big and Heavy.

See right there I said the Only one that will probably work. I am done with you. You called me a liar.

This doesn't have a great deal of camera movement (which is fine by me), but was shot with the GH5, PL 12-60 and Zhiyun Crane v.1. Annoying voice over, nice photography.

There's lots of other examples shot with the the Zhiyun Crane, GH5 and the PL 12-60 and PL 8-18. Some people just don't take the time to learn to use their gear properly.

There are some on Amazon that can do the DC conversion from a USB power bank.  One of them has a dual feed so you can switch packs without using power.  As long as you have a 3A AC/DC USB converter you can hook up to main power.  Pity they didn't enable power through the USB-C connector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075ZS8X2X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CBMLKFS

8 hours ago, Samirawale said:

So I got the GH5s and 12-35 f2.8 ii and metabone speedbooster xl for 1900 usd , I wanted the GH5 for IBIS but couldn’t resist this offer , my question is : which lenses should I inevest in for my setup for (short films , weddings , corporate videos )  

Just wondering - did you have a particular lens in mind when you picked up the speed booster? What’s your budget like? Do you intend to use a gimbal? If you want premium native AF m43 lenses, Olympus are my favorite, but cost upwards of $1,200 new. The 45mm f/1.2 Pro is superb. The Oly 75mm f/1.8 is compact, all metal, and has nice bokeh. Sigma lenses represent excellent value, and the 16mm f/1.4 DC DN is a winner. Among premium MF lenses, Voigtlander has no peer. They are built like a tank and should give decades of service. When it comes to ASPC and FF, the Sigma Art lenses are widely acclaimed. The 18-35mm f/1.8 is a staple of cinematographers. If you need stabilization, the Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 would complement your Panasonic 12-35mm well. This question has been asked numerous times in these pages already, so I would suggest searching the forums.

A few souls here were predicting drastic price reductions on the GH5, but here we are in Aug 2018 and major retailers are still selling it for $1,697 or so (new). Meanwhile, the darling X-T2, released around a half year earlier, is seeing drastic price reductions ($1,099, last I checked). The moral of the story is to wait a year for Fuji to fix the bugs, add 1,000 new features and sell the camera for 1/2 price. According to rumors, Panasonic should be releasing a firmware update for the GH5(s) soon. And in recent news, Olympus is expected to launch a high end video camera in 2019. But I’m afraid my m43 days are coming to an end...

4 hours ago, anonim said:

Few test shots for a short movie, made during half an hour with Panasonic GH5, mostly with Voigtlander 10.5mm. Being only with slow laptop - fast editing in Hitfilm Pro, even faster grading in Davinci  Resolve. (At a glance, it seems that youtube really sometimes makes wonder massacring contrast and DR :)

I’m more of a 2:39 than 4:3 guy but you had some nice compositions in there and I quite liked that Voight. Interesting subject, her anger translated well on screen, excited to see what you come up with for your short.

33 minutes ago, jonpais said:

And in recent news, Olympus is expected to launch a high end video camera in 2019. But I’m afraid my m43 days are coming to an end...

I think that will be a mistake, the g7 is super light and still excellent for video. I've shot so much video with it and the 14-42 f/3.5-5.6, 35-100 f/3.5-5.6, and 25 f/1.7.

The hardest thing about photography and videography is avoiding the GAS pitfall!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

A few souls here were predicting drastic price reductions on the GH5, but here we are in Aug 2018 and major retailers are still selling it for $1,697 or so (new). Meanwhile, the darling X-T2, released around a half year earlier, is seeing drastic price reductions ($1,099, last I checked). The moral of the story is to wait a year for Fuji to fix the bugs, add 1,000 new features and sell the camera for 1/2 price. According to rumors, Panasonic should be releasing a firmware update for the GH5(s) soon. And in recent news, Olympus is expected to launch a high end video camera in 2019. But I’m afraid my m43 days are coming to an end...

Its a bit of a narrower gap here in the UK GH5 has a £200 cash back so its £1399 and the X-T2 has a £270 one so is £1249.

There is a much bigger variation when it comes to buying one used though as the GH5 holds it value much better and you don't often see them below £1200 whereas the X-T2 is around £800. You also don't often see as many GH5 for sale used either, which may be telling another story.

I think the X-H1 has caused more people to ditch their X-T2 than the GH5s has with the GH5 because the X-H1 offers more than the X-T2 so is an upgrade whereas the GH5s offers 'different' over the GH5 so is more of an option rather than upgrade.

With the new updates, a second hand X-T2 is a bargain at that price though.

@BTM_Pix Yeah, in spite of all my grievances with Fuji, the X-T2’s pricing is pretty darn attractive. Still, with no zebras or IBIS, to name just two features I can’t live without, I found myself using the G85 instead. X-T3 is probably just around the corner... but it’s hard to go back to a crop sensor! 

• Super Members
46 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@BTM_Pix Yeah, in spite of all my grievances with Fuji, the X-T2’s pricing is pretty darn attractive. Still, with no zebras or IBIS, to name just two features I can’t live without, I found myself using the G85 instead. X-T3 is probably just around the corner... but it’s hard to go back to a crop sensor! 

I'm not sure what, if anything, they could put in the X-T3 to make me upgrade to be honest. 

I saw enough that I didn't like in terms of the IBIS on the X-H1 to mean it probably wouldn't be IBIS that would persuade me.

They could fix the stupidity with the app but thats just fiddling around the margins really for my use. 

They have locked themselves in with regard to the lens coverage I think so full frame isn't going to be happening and their approach to full frame seems to be to go with cropping the GFX sensor.

All of which means the X-T2 will be the end of the line for me with the X-T series its become a bit of a cul de sac as far as my needs are concerned. A very nice cul de sac with high quality fast primes and zooms but a cul de sac nonetheless.

The promised range of long lenses haven't materialised (and the one that has is short on range and waaay too long on price) and the initial promise of the video aspect hasn't been built upon by adding zebras etc.

It doesn't necessarily mean I'll be putting all my Fuji stuff on eBay but I definitely won't be adding to it.