Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Filmmakers like Josh Morin and Brandon Li travel the world with their single handed brushless gimbals, so I think as long as you take care of them, there should be no problem.

Sure they do. But you can bet they have a backup one with them also. The OP is taking about going to Africa, and it is his first Rodeo, Good video camera, maybe his first as far as I see. We are not taking a seasoned Pro here. Nothing wrong with that. We were all a Rookie at everything at one time in our life.

https://fstoppers.com/street/brandon-li-reviews-moza-aircross-gimbal-209418

Hi, I have just bought a Zhiyun-Tech Crane Plus. I will get it in some days. I will use the gimbal only with the GH5 and Leica 12-60mm. Especially in wide angle lens or with a light tele. Out of curiosity I need to ask some questios because I'm absolutely inexperienced about gimbal. In August I will make my first serious UHD documentary in Africa (but not in the cities). How often do you use the gimbal every day? Yes, I know it might seem like a stupid question. But I would like to know if I can keep the GH5 on the gimbal all day. I need advice from experienced people please. I will not even have a few minutes for rest because I will shoot everything that appears in front of me from morning to night. But could the video annoy those watching the video, when they see all those movements used so often with the gimbal? I have no idea how to use a gimbal. Can you give me some advices please? THANKS for your suggestions.

You are not going to be able to shoot morning until night just having a camera in your hands let alone with that Gimbal. Really? You couldn't do that with a iPhone 4. I think you are going to have a hell of a rude awakening when you get there to do this. A Big awakening! Do you even have a clue how much Media it is going to take, where you going to store all of of it,  and it will be a Huge amount of data, on and on? You have not even asked about Audio, that is bigger than the damn camera is of importance.

You are going to need 3 people or more, and the money Donald Trump has to do what you are wanting to do. Hell maybe you do have all that?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

How effective are gimbals with zoom lenses? I have never used one, but I would assume you would need to rebalance it after every focal length change?

Some of the higher cost, newer ones have internal focusing, so that should not be a problem for people with Money LoL. But yeah a Lot of the old ones were push to zoom and extended a Long ways out.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

How effective are gimbals with zoom lenses? I have never used one, but I would assume you would need to rebalance it after every focal length change?

Used an A6300 with the kit zoom on a Zhiyun Crane. It's light enough that even when you zoom the gimbal motors easily compensate the off-balance. You could even motor-zoom from the gimbal itself if you have the connection cable.

So it depends on your setup. Also internal focusing isn't really helping over externally focusing as it will move glas in the lens and change the center of balance.

30 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Some of the higher cost, newer ones have internal focusing, so that should not be a problem for people with Money LoL. But yeah a Lot of the old ones were push to zoom and extended a Long ways out.

Even internal zooms would have a weight shift inside the lens which I think would still require a rebalancing?

7 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Used an A6300 with the kit zoom on a Zhiyun Crane. It's light enough that even when you zoom the gimbal motors easily compensate the off-balance. You could even motor-zoom from the gimbal itself if you have the connection cable.

So it depends on your setup. Also internal focusing isn't really helping over externally focusing as it will move glas in the lens and change the center of balance.

Good to know, thanks. 

@FoxAdriano I've carried around my Crane with various cameras and lens combinations for as much as a half day without any strain, so physically it should be no problem at all. As far as balancing the camera on a gimbal with a zoom lens, many shooters balance for the midway point and with the new gimbals, the motors should be able to balance the camera no problem. It will however make the motors work harder and drain the batteries faster, but the batteries will last an entire day anyhow. As far as shooting handheld on a gimbal all day is concerned, it will really boil down to your technique. I'm in the middle of watching Sense8, which is entirely handheld, and it's thrilling when it's done well. By the same token, watching some of these YouTube videos with frenetic motion, it wears me out in less than two minutes. 

Hi, I bought the SLR Magic Reflex Mark II 62mm ND filter for my GH5. I'm a lot satisfied with it and I'd like to protect it with a lens hood. In fact, the front lens is very protruding and in my travels in the forest I will certainly go to spoil it. Can anyone suggest what leans hood I can buy? Thank you for your suggestions.

Can anyone tell me if there is a very light tripod with the same head of the Zhiyun Crane Plus gimbal? I'll get the gimbal in 2 days and I still don't know what head will it have. I'm asking this question because I will often have to remove my GH5 from the gimbal and put it on the tripod. Thanks x some info.

How is everyone editing his GH5 files, explicitly asking about the (in my case V-LOG L) 24fps 10bit UHD files?

I'm using the regular Davinci Resolve so I can't edit the files natively. Therefore I use Rocky Mountain Movie Converter (which was the go-to with the h.265 files of the NX1) to transcode my footage to ProRes 422 HQ which I then edit and grade. I once read that this is a sub-ideal transcode but struggle to find other ways to easily(free/cheap) transcode, seeing how I have no access to Adobe Media Encoder CC due to lack of interest to buy into the Adobe CC subsciptions for video just to transcode files.

Now with this workflow I have the Pro that it edits edits smoothly with the Cons of over 700 Mbit/s files needing a lot of storage while likely having quality loss due to lossy compression of an already lossy codec.

I'm wondering what's the best course of action in your opinion?

1. Keep the current workflow and maybe use a different transcoder
    Easy performance for my system but needs a lot of disk space and questions of generational quality loss
  2. Buy Davinci Resolve Studio to natively edit the 150 Mbit/s IPB files without transcoding
    Uses very little disk space but probably going to kill my system on the CPU level for the decoding when scrubbing/playing
  3. Buy Davinci Resolve Studio to natively edit the 400 Mbit/s All-I files without transcoding
    Uses more SD space (and buy new V60 cards) when recording, but less disk space than ProRes and probably acceptable system performance

For the final results (on the internet) I have to question if the quality differences might even be noticeable but I'm a hobbyist so it's as much about enjoying the process.

PS:
Main system is an oc'ed i7 5930K with 32 GB RAM and oc'ed AMD R9 390. System, apps and all media on multiple Samsung 850 drives.
Secondary desire to edit very basic stuff on my laptop with i7 6700HQ, 16 GB RAM and GeForce GTX960M.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:50 PM, Phil A said:

@FoxAdriano
The screen has lower resolution than the EVF, better get the G-Cup from Guerilla

https://www.guerrillaproducts.com/products/g-cup-panasonic-gh5

But it is impossible to buy it from Europe in 10 days. I'm thinking about Vary-i.

I always shoot in sunny days and I'd like some help. Do tou know Vary-i? https://vary-i.com/
I'd like to buy only VARY-i solo for the GH5/GH5s. Is it useful? I already know it is useful but I'd like to know info from users.
I thank you for your info.

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Sort of a interesting rig Cine Ma has on Facebook. 

Ronin.jpg

Ronin2.jpg

I bought gimbal Zhiyun Crane Plus oe week ago for my GH5 and after 2 days I sold it. I never I threw so much money badly like this time. My GH5 has: Leica 12-60mm + ND variable filter and Zhiyun Crane Plus cant manage that long lens. Many times the lens clashed with the arms of the gimbal. It is a big pain.