Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

tonysss,

thanks for your pleasant suggestions. These days I'm testing a lot "Natural" and I like it because is giving me good chance in post. I know "like 709" so little and I'd like to so some tests with it. I don't understand what you men with "Luminance level 16-235,  master pedestal +10". Do they refer to "like 709" settings?

As you have a lot of experience more than me with GH5, I need your suggestion please. I will make my first UHD documentary in black Africa. I will shoot customs and traditions of native peoples in remote areas. Sometimes people are in the village to make some work but many times they go away and they walk fast or run outside village. I don't have time to study v-log, etc. etc. I'm thinking to shoot 50p 8 bit (UHD). I don't take interest to sell them but I take interest only to make the best documentaries with the means that I have at that time. Do you think to shoot "like 709"  is better than "Natural" for my documentary? Thanks for your suggestions.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

tonysss,

thanks for your pleasant suggestions. These days I'm testing a lot "Natural" and I like it because is giving me good chance in post. I know "like 709" so little and I'd like to so some tests with it. I don't understand what you men with "Luminance level 16-235,  master pedestal +10". Do they refer to "like 709" settings?

As you have a lot of experience more than me with GH5, I need your suggestion please. I will make my first UHD documentary in black Africa. I will shoot customs and traditions of native peoples in remote areas. Sometimes people are in the village to make some work but many times they go away and they walk fast or run outside village. I don't have time to study v-log, etc. etc. I'm thinking to shoot 50p 8 bit (UHD). I don't take interest to sell them but I take interest only to make the best documentaries with the means that I have at that time. Do you think to shoot "like 709"  is better than "Natural" for my documentary? Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes of course, "like 709" is for me, without a problem then in postproduction. Skin tone and other scene colors is always perfect. (max zebra in face 85%) I sometimes give saturation -3, and coloring post. Luminance level and Master pedestal level is setting which you find on first and second bookmark menu. Knee setting is direct in "like 709" profile. (down in screen Fn2 Knee Setting) MANUAL= POINT-80 SLOPE-99

I always have setting Luminance level = 16-235, ( the resulting image is much less contrastly and saves it high. (picture looking has more dynamic range). You connect the GH5 directly on the HDMI TV or monitor and try to switch value Luminance level, and you will see yourself.

Setting Master Pedestal Level + 10 it also helps to reduce the contrast. the picture is more pleasant to me.

Other picture profile I tried a million times ? with how many settings, I've seen a million tutorial videos on youtube ?  but always winner "like 709" colors are accurate.  For example, profile NATURAL and other standard profile including Cine,  with contrast setting to negativ -2 to -5  totally kills skin tone and you will not save it in postproduction. If used this standard profile never set up contrast on negativ , panasonic here kills colors. Sony does not do this. (A7S,A6500).  

these are my experiences from 14 months on GH5. HGL and V-Log is for my work speed style, much more complicate postproduction.

tonysss,

I take a lot of interest too about "like 709" profile after your suggestions and I'd like to do some tests. I hope you can help me again because I don't know if I understood everything about what you wrote me. I speak a little english.

In the meantime I made changed somenìthing in my Menu.

I put: Master Pedestal Level + 10  Luminance level 16-235 and about "Like 709" settings I put Sharpness = -5,  NR = -5,  Saturation = -2. Look at the pic of my attacment please. Then I put POINT-80 SLOPE-99. Do I have to change something else in the Menu? I thank you for your reply.

Do you think "Like 709" is OK even shooting black people in a remote areas and environment with red earth and a lot of light like in Africa?

I'm not still expert about GH5, do you think it better to shoot 25p 10bit or 50p 8bit my documentaries?

THANKS

1.jpg

5 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

tonysss,

I take a lot of interest too about "like 709" profile after your suggestions and I'd like to do some tests. I hope you can help me again because I don't know if I understood everything about what you wrote me. I speak a little english....

Yes, your setting is correct, and our English is very similar, similarly bad ?

I shooting all the time in 50p 8bit, and use usually high shutter speed, I no longer use it variable ND filter. If you are shooting in 50p you can, high shutter speed not see so much. But  project in timeline has always in 25p. It is also possible to use it in project slow motion 50%. At GH5, the 25p vs 50p quality is the same.

But try what suits you, 100 people = 200 eyes ?  ,everyone likes something different, test what suits you.

tonysss,

Last questions please. For me they are very important. When I shot "Like 709" with those settings I get a bit veiled with white clips and a little faded. Ok, it is normal. I use Edius 9 to make videoediting, what do you exactly increases in post to improve quality of those clips? What filters do you use to get the best results?

"Like 709" is setup to get close to what a HD broadcast camcorder and my question is: In your opinion does it make sense to prefer "Like 709" profile if I shoot UHD. I only use UHD.

PS: Out of curiosity: did you make some tests also with HLG profile (Hybrid Log Gamma)? I think it is a good profile too.

Thanks

7 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Out of curiosity: what could it happen if I shoot 50p 8bit and I make video editing at 25p?
Will my documentary look like it was shot at 25p? Will it be like a real film? Thanks.

You would have, well, a Slo Mo Video!

I accidentally did a test with the GH5 with the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile. It's a very flat and faded profile that seems like vlog. Then I added the "Primary Color Correction" filter to the clip on Edius Timeline clip and the miracle appeared as if by magic. I got a very good, almost excellent image in a tenth of a second. Of course, then you can change the color as you wish on that image obtained. Have you ever made this test? Is it convenient to shoot with that profile? I could never imagine that I could get that quality with just one mouse move. I also tried to add "Primary Color Correction" to other clips I shot with other profiles, but nothing happened. They don't even see that filter. That filfer seems to have been procreated for the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile.What do you think about it?

21 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

I accidentally did a test with the GH5 with the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile. It's a very flat and faded profile that seems like vlog. Then I added the "Primary Color Correction" filter to the clip on Edius Timeline clip and the miracle appeared as if by magic. I got a very good, almost excellent image in a tenth of a second. Of course, then you can change the color as you wish on that image obtained. Have you ever made this test? Is it convenient to shoot with that profile? I could never imagine that I could get that quality with just one mouse move. I also tried to add "Primary Color Correction" to other clips I shot with other profiles, but nothing happened. They don't even see that filter. That filfer seems to have been procreated for the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile.What do you think about it?

Maybe Edius realized the clip was in REC2020 and converted to REC709?

In Davinci Resolve only the gamma will be converted but Gamut has to be converted manually (RCM). Output looks great after that as well.

Do you know it: http://www.leeminglutone.com/
Do you have experience wiith it?
If I'd like to use this Leeming LUT, will I get better result with Cine D or V-LogL or Hybrid Log Gamma?

In your opinion is it possible to get better results shooting "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile and to apply that LUT in post or shooting "Natural" and adjusting a bit colors in post?

1 hour ago, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I'd like to buy a sdeadycam for my GH5 because I can't do any good movement with GH5 because the video isn't fluid but a bit jerky. I will use it only in my trips. Can you recommend a very light but effective steadycam for my GH5?
Thanks

No such thing as a very light but effective steadycam LoL.  What is the money you are willing to pay?  I can tell you now if I was you out in  the bush as they say I think I would buy a mechanical Steadycam over the electronic ones. How you going to charge the batteries? What if it goes belly up? You can't kill the good original Steady Cams. If you use the same lens a lot I see no good reason for an electronic one.

This one is even a Monopod!

https://www.amazon.com/Steadicam-SOLO-Video-Camera-Stabilizer/dp/B00J6F5LUY

https://tiffen.com/steadicam/

23 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

I don't have problems for the batteries because I will have many of them with me. But if you suggest for a mechanical Steadycam it is OK for me but it has to be lighter and smaller than the electronic ones but that gimbal in the link is big and heavy.

And it Really works LoL.  It would be perfect for what you are doing. Because you have a Monopod right in it.I have had, and have 2 different electronic Gimbals now. They are Fragile as hell, even expensive ones. The arm that the camera is on is stupid easy to break on them. When you turn the power off on them they are limp as hell, swinging all over the place. No way I would Ever go to Africa and try and film people with one unless I had 2 spare ones! I am telling you it WILL break. Somebody, kids mostly, will want to hold it, Bingo, dead on arrival.

Standing in your driveway, and out in the Bush is two completely different environments. They are not made for rough use unless you buy the Movi one that cost 3000 bucks. And even that you can break it. The motors on them are like toy stuff. They were designed for making small Robots, not for taking a beating out in the woods. To save money and weight the cheap ones use cheap ass stuff in them, plain and simple.

The Only one I can see that Might work is the DJI Ronin-S, and it is not cheap and it is Big and Heavy.

7 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

You put me in a lot of trouble. ahahaha. I will think about it. I thank you a lot to for making me open my eyes. Anyway do you know some other smaller mechanical tteadycams?

Well there is a lot of Chinese knockoffs. I am sure some of them will be pretty good quality wise for the money and may actually work out for you. There are way too many of them from really small, to large to comment on any one of them. It depends on the camera, lens combo, and the money you have to spend and needs.

I do not envy you on the decision you have to make. It is between reliability and cost, need and usage. No one good answer to any of them, costs wise or desirability. They all have their plus and minus on the Electronic or Mechanical ones.

But I would have to err on reliability in your circumstance. And that is totally open to debate. There has to be other people than me than have an opinion on this matter.

Hello, I noticed a very strange thing: yesterday for the first time I removed the Leica 12-60mm and mounted the lens Lumix G Vario 14-140mm. Well I must say that with the lens Leica 12-60mm I have absolutely no stabilization as good as with the Lumix G Vario 14-140mm. Even with higher zoom the Lumix G Vario is much more stable. These buttons are on "On", therefore they are enabled. Why does this happen to me? Even when I film with the wide angle of Leica, I notice that nothing is fluid. Maybe I configured something wrong in the Menu? However the Manual is very bad. The fact is if I will use the Leica less and less for the benefit of the Lumix G Vario. In the Menu of my GH5 I see the "Operating mode" deactivated. Why? Can you help me to configure that Menu? This is what I see in the Menu:

Stabilizzatore.jpg

Stabilizzatore 2.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 9:48 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Do you know it: http://www.leeminglutone.com/
Do you have experience wiith it?
If I'd like to use this Leeming LUT, will I get better result with Cine D or V-LogL or Hybrid Log Gamma?

In your opinion is it possible to get better results shooting "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile and to apply that LUT in post or shooting "Natural" and adjusting a bit colors in post?

Leeming provides a lut into a unified  rec.709 colour space from all three of those (cine D, vlogl, hlg). We're finding HLG to provide the best results, especially in lower light situations. Cine D has less dynamic range but is great when you need to shoot 8bit for high frame rates. 

On 7/13/2018 at 2:49 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I'd like to buy a sdeadycam for my GH5 because I can't do any good movement with GH5 because the video isn't fluid but a bit jerky. I will use it only in my trips. Can you recommend a very light but effective steadycam for my GH5?
Thanks

I just use a Zhiyun Crane. I'm keen to get a dual handle set for it.