Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From both samples It seems that color is also tweaked - less base greenish toward more natural in skintone, gamma also little bit lighter.

In first sample, for example, at 8:51 when tester's face is in focus on both cameras -

In second sample whole sequence of mother and child, about 1:50 - 2:15.

1 hour ago, anonim said:

From both samples It seems that color is also tweaked - less base greenish toward more natural in skintone, gamma also little bit lighter.

In first sample, for example, at 8:51 when tester's face is in focus on both cameras -

In second sample whole sequence of mother and child, about 1:50 - 2:15.

Have you noticed it on your own footage?

Unfortunately, I instantly made update without comparing. I didn't guess that it may be differences color wise because Panasonic review didn't mention it. Shooting yesterday in HLG i had impression that it was little bit easier to grade to the wanted balance of colors... But it is just impression, not at all accurate comparison, so I can be wrong.

Although, both above samples without doubt show the same difference.

P.S.

Actually, I found that difference between GH5 and GH5s are mostly about more greenish cast in the first, also about OLP filtration in second. (But I judge only from published examples, I have no GH5s.) Every single time I make slight correction in green channel and green side of gamma before any other grade tweaking. Not a big science and maybe Panasonic really make such minor, but noticeably finer adjustment without announcing it. We already saw here that they didn't feel obliged to speak about Atomos 4k 60p case.

18 minutes ago, anonim said:

Unfortunately, I instantly made update without comparing. I didn't guess that it may be differences color wise because Panasonic review didn't mention it. Shooting yesterday in HLG i had impression that it was little bit easier to grade to the wanted balance of colors... But it is just impression, not at all accurate comparison, so I can be wrong.

Although, both above samples without doubt show the same difference.

P.S.

Actually, I found that difference between GH5 and GH5s are mostly about more greenish cast in the first, also about OLP filtration in second. (But I judge only from published examples, I have no GH5s.) Every single time I make slight correction in green channel and green side of gamma before any other grade tweaking. Not a big science and maybe Panasonic really make such minor, but noticeably finer adjustment without announcing it. We already saw here that they didn't feel obliged to speak about Atomos 4k 60p case.

I usually make small tweaks here and there, like adding liitle bits of green to the necks of my subjects. ?

Perhaps I am not remembering correctly...

The new firmware release has Luminance Level set to 64-940 in 6k anamorphic HLG mode.

This cannot be changed.

Was this the same in the previous release?  Not 0 - 1023 ?

Is this changed?

Just want to comment on the 2.3 GH5 fw - preliminary experience.

AF-C is waaay better for faces now.  For interview / locked on, set AF-C to face detect, AF Speed -4/-5 (slow), AF sensitivity -3 (max locked on).  This reduces pulsing considerably and the face detect is ok.  Should be useable for vlogs and casual use, need more testing before using it professionally but it could work.  I tried at 24p and it wasn't bad!  When it was left at default 0/0 there was pulsing and basically unusable professionally, but set to slow and locked on it was much better. Tested by filming myself in a static interview position, I sometimes moved back and forth like a real interview.  Focus racking isn't the smoothest, might not be acceptable if you want silky smooth transitions, but most people probably won't care.

I tried this with both the Panasonic 12-35mm and the Sigma 18-35mm with Metabones SB mark IV @ "F1.2".

Face tracking is hilarious though, nowhere near Sony.  If you tilt your face (still looking at camera, just your head over 30degrees) the box disappears.

From the YT videos it's clear that different settings get your drastically different results, so take note.

The second thing I want to use it for is B-roll.  I tried single area AF-C, set to 0/0 and it works decently in 60P.  Most B-roll I just use 60P and not 24p.  If left on -5/-3 it's not responsive enough for tracking objects and will easily lose focus if you are changing focus distance.

Very positive on it so far, especially for interview use and shallow DOF.  I'm not super confident in the AF-C for B-roll but time will tell.  

More testing.  Af-c and tracking a subject for b roll not bad at 1/1 and you must keep your focus box over the target.

Once the afternoon system focuses on the background you are done if you are trying to use a larger box than your target (like zone focus for a7). The camera will stay locked on to background unless you almost fill the target again, so "zone" type focus is only good if you maintain the tracking.

But if you do you can pull of some nice push and pulls and have subject focus distance change, so very good improvement.

If panny can tweak it to prefer foreground objects (like everyone else) then it will be another step in the right direction.

Upon further inspection, I won't be using af-c for much b-roll except a few pull and pushes.  The background pulses at 1/1 occasionally and is pretty unreliable as it likes to focus on the background.  Might still use it for interviews at locked on / slow though.

For FW 2.3, am I crazy or has the ability (or burden) of being able to shoot stills with v-log been added?

I don't remember this being the case previously, but now if I set the dial to movie mode, set the Photo style to 'V-Log L', and then change the mode to Aperture-priority to take some stills, the V-Log is still on, so my photos end up in V-Log.

Or conversely, if I'm shooting stills in Aperture-priority mode using photo style 'L.Monochrome D' and then switch the dial to Movie mode, the L.Monochrome carries over.

I just don't remember the hassle of having to keep switching back and forth between styles when switching between stills and video, I thought for some reason that movie mode would remember that it was last used in V-Log.

14 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

For FW 2.3, am I crazy or has the ability (or burden) of being able to shoot stills with v-log been added?

I don't remember this being the case previously, but now if I set the dial to movie mode, set the Photo style to 'V-Log L', and then change the mode to Aperture-priority to take some stills, the V-Log is still on, so my photos end up in V-Log.

Or conversely, if I'm shooting stills in Aperture-priority mode using photo style 'L.Monochrome D' and then switch the dial to Movie mode, the L.Monochrome carries over.

I just don't remember the hassle of having to keep switching back and forth between styles when switching between stills and video, I thought for some reason that movie mode would remember that it was last used in V-Log.

That's interesting. The profile is now shared with movie mode. Is that different from before? I seem to remember the movie mode settings being quite independent of the photo settings. There's probably an extra menu item that changes it..

In other news, the cheapo grip is amazing, well worth getting for photographers https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMW-BGGH5-Battery-Grip-for-Panasonic-DMW-GH5-GH5-Camera-DMW-BGGH5GK-DMW-BLF19-BLF19/32845153451.html