Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

excellent. but it’s not fair - they were real filmmakers and actors and they used lighting to shape the space and create mood and atmosphere.?

Keep working at it, you’ll get there.

Seriously though, that looked really good. But (there’s always a but) as good as it looked, I’m fairly certain, with all else being equal, that similar results could be had with a G85 and CineLikeD.

But in the end it doesn’t really matter, that would have been cool if it were shot on mini dv. 

Need help deciding in which direction I should go and if it's necessary to go in that direction regarding lens selection for gh5.

So I have tons of commercial work and weddings coming this April, May and June etc. and I'm thinking of investing into a metabones ultra + sigma 18-35 option. I currently own the 12-35 panny first gen and I'm thinking if it's worth making a switch. The main reason is low light situations and better DoF. 

The other option would be to get a nikon metabones to mft because my father owns lots of nikkor lenses 24-70, 70-200 , wide angles , macros  etc but the Nikon To Mft doesn't get lots of love

Lastly the third choice would be to invest in fast mft primes like the sigma 30 1.4 and the 16 1.4 which would be a good and not expensive alternative.

What sound more rational option to invest in? 

22 hours ago, GreekBeast said:

Need help deciding in which direction I should go and if it's necessary to go in that direction regarding lens selection for gh5.

So I have tons of commercial work and weddings coming this April, May and June etc. and I'm thinking of investing into a metabones ultra + sigma 18-35 option. I currently own the 12-35 panny first gen and I'm thinking if it's worth making a switch. The main reason is low light situations and better DoF. 

The other option would be to get a nikon metabones to mft because my father owns lots of nikkor lenses 24-70, 70-200 , wide angles , macros  etc but the Nikon To Mft doesn't get lots of love

Lastly the third choice would be to invest in fast mft primes like the sigma 30 1.4 and the 16 1.4 which would be a good and not expensive alternative.

What sound more rational option to invest in? 

First post in here! 

@GreekBeast do you live in Greece too? Because this could play a role in buying options.

Your choices depend on a number of things: do you absolutely need AF? Will you often use a gimbal? 

1) If you want AF on all lenses, the (Canon) Metabones + Sigma 18-35 is a great choice. There is also the much more economical Viltrox adapter (also for Canon) which has received rave reviews but is backordered almost everywhere. I guess you can expect more than two months to receive it in Greece (due to customs clearance times...)

2) If you go the Nikon way (as I've done) there is the Viltrox NF-43x adapter, which features the same focal reducer as the (AF) Canon version, but is much cheaper, easier to get and of course manual focus only. If you already have a number of Nikon lenses, it surely makes sense to go this way. Again, no AF. 

3) I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4. It's a quite nice lens, sharp and with reasonably fast AF. You can usually get this for close to 200€ used in Greece and about 330€ brand new. Haven't tried the 16mm but I'd think the Panaleica 15mm f1.7 would make a better choice; smaller, lighter, probably faster AF. Great for gimbal or handheld work. 

In conclusion, IMHO, the most cost effective solution would be to go for the Viltrox for Nikon focal reducer, plus Sigma 18-35mm, plus 2-3 native lenses that cover your most used focal ranges (the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 would make another good/cheap option). Because of your low light requirements, native zooms would present some issues. Then add a couple of your adapted Nikon glass and you'll be well served. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone--a little nervous to post this but hoping to get some opinions.

I'm a novice with my GH5 but maybe this will help others. I went through a ton of different settings for CineD, CineV, HLG, and Natural, and using natural light made a video comparing different saturation and contrast levels. It's in French but hoping to add subtitles soon. The comparisons start at around 30 seconds and at 3:36 is a half second clip of each when I tried to match the contrast/saturation levels in post (without shifting any colors).

I did make a mistake in overexposing the shot, I tried to make it consistent by having 100% Zebras on my t-shirt but I think in the end it made HLG look possibly better than it actually is.

She is so lovely... and I think there's some serenity of Yasujirō Ozu's style in this unpretentious shots that lure enjoyable smile as result.  Maybe just to add one more angle as variation while she is speaking? I like the most this part/composition because of simplicity and combination of colors of wood/oldfashioned darkblue fabric that highlights subtle naive moves of her timid eyes...Maybe it can be pattern or the best foundation for an idea - to compose another version of little movie as a story of her virtue and virginity as deriving (and owing to) from her antique background...

Huang.JPG

@anonim That was pretty awesome. My criticisms would be: seriously over-sharpened; a bunch of blown highlights; I would have liked to have seen even shallower depth of field in many of the shots; and quite a bit of the footage looks bland, either because of the time of day, the grade, or both. The anamorphic stuff looks good. 

51 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@anonim That was pretty awesome. My criticisms would be: seriously over-sharpened; a bunch of blown highlights; I would have liked to have seen even shallower depth of field in many of the shots; and quite a bit of the footage looks bland, either because of the time of day, the grade, or both. The anamorphic stuff looks good. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but from my experience with these two Sigma's zooms - they are not quite appropriate to provide SOOC smoother image. Or maybe they even are not at all appropriate for such preference - because their concept actually accentuates the same that trait aimed also with Panasonic's inner softwer-over-sensor manipulation. Using of speedbooster just amplifies effect even more.

But, of course, using of filters and accurate grading direction can make everything mellower. I'm sometimes forced to think that many members on the forum actually rarely used modern grading softwares even to the level of at least fraction of their capacities. To put it simply, with reaching enough reality-reproductable level of resolution and DR, near every distinctive inner software/color characteristic of cameras can be replicate by usage of grading process - even by not too deep one. And anybody who tried to learn some indeed hard-to-comprehend software that required whole life to mastered - mostly 3D such as Houdini or Maya, but also to a lesser degree serious compositors - will find that even Resolve is actually very easy, simply because of enormously lesser variables and equally enormously bigger level of subjectivity and tolerable try-and-repeat paths and effects.

It seems to me that creator(s) of this short movie didn't bother/worry with look that gravitate to, say, such of an prestige TV production - maybe they just like it, or they thought it is better choice considering content of movie - of course sharp, aggressive, disturbing, distracting...

BTW I'll be free to take opportunity and write to you what I thought: it'll be so nice if you also make some short movie, or more narrative presentation with Huang... It is so nice and interesting how you and she, despite of generation difference, actually grow-up together :) Maybe just she as reciting some illustrative verses in illustrative changing visual moods... Or omnibus of situations, it is so close to Eastern spirit, as Kurosawa's Dreams, or different "Monogataris"... Who knows, maybe you'll decidedly help her to become a new Ziyi Zhang...

ZZ about

Yes, that butterfly and starting-to-fly-away little birds simple change everything :)

But you also have, imo, at least one highly beautiful shot - I already quoted it - where, luckily, also Huang showed gift of an actress and your composition may well be the one of Kar Wai Whong... Just repeat yours the best... (and maybe play more with rim lighting - but, in fact, it isn't necessary nor rule, just variation).