Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes Jon, in my language there isn't "Cinelike D" but" Dynamic Range Cinelike". They are the same thing. ;) In fact when I choose english language Menu shows "Cinelike D". I'm sorry but I don't use Leeming LUT and I'm undecided if I will shoot in "Cinelike D", "Natural" or "Come709". It seems to me that all three are good, but which of the three are better suitable for modifying colors in post production?

30 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

Yes Jon, in my language there isn't "Cinelike D" but" Dynamic Range Cinelike". They are the same thing. ;) In fact when I choose english language Menu shows "Cinelike D". I'm sorry but I don't use Leeming LUT and I'm undecided if I will shoot in "Cinelike D", "Natural" or "Come709". It seems to me that all three are good, but which of the three are better suitable for modifying colors in post production?

I’ve got an idea! Why don’t you shoot a test of all three yourself and tell us which works best for you. 

Why do you think I didn't make it? I made this post because I don't notice differences. I hope you know between the tests and real shots there is an ocean in the middle..... and if Panasonic put these profiles it mean there are some differences albeit minimal. I have GH5 for a very little time and I can't to appreciate those minimal differences compared to people are using GH5 for more time. I hope my answer is satisfactory. ;)

I have GH5 for 10 months, and I'm testing a good profile from the beginning,  and every time I return to my poured profile like 709 :-) he always has the best skin tone !!! sometimes I also use a vlog if the scene has a high contrast (sun, nature) , I have leeming LUT , but,  like 709 I always won. 

My setting:

like 709 profile /0/-5/-5/-2/0   (knee Point 80 slope 99)

luminance level   16-235

master pedestal level +5

1 hour ago, tonysss said:

I have GH5 for 10 months, and I'm testing a good profile from the beginning,  and every time I return to my poured profile like 709 :-) he always has the best skin tone !!! sometimes I also use a vlog if the scene has a high contrast (sun, nature) , I have leeming LUT , but,  like 709 I always won.

My setting:

like 709 profile /0/-5/-5/-2/0   (knee Point 80 slope 99)

luminance level   16-235

master pedestal level +5

I take a lot of interest about "Like 709" because I tink it is a very good profile and I'd like to ask some questions please:

1) What difference do you see between "Natural" profile and "Like 709" profile?

2) With "Like 709" profile is it easy to change the chromatism on the clips in post-prodution like with "Natural" profile? I think "Like 709" profile has more contrast and more difficult to work with the chromatism.

3) I'd like to try your "Like 709" settings but I am not able to see the right steps on the Menu. I have only set knee Point 80 and slope 99. But I don't understand where is luminance level  and master pedestal level. Then I don't understand what it means /0/-5/-5/-2/0.

I thank you for your info.

Hey guys,

Can anyone help recommend a lens for me & my GH5 (right thread, I hope!)

I'm looking for something fast, with a 35-50mm full frame equivalent. Whilst I don't yet own one, I'm considering getting my hands on a metabones XL (EF mount) so would consider something non-native also. So a native lens between 17-25mm, or something more like between 28-35mm if it were to be used on the metabones.

Ideally after something that doesn't weigh a ton, will be able to render nice shallow DoF and have autofocus (for stills' sake, not expecting much for video)

I know that's asking a lot, so maybe nothing out there that ticks all those boxes, but would really appreciate any recommendations. Right now I'm considering the Canon 35mm F2 IS on the metabones XL (thought the lens' IS would be somewhat redundant I'm guessing)

Thanks for any input

On 3/16/2018 at 10:50 AM, ThomHaig said:

Hey guys,

Can anyone help recommend a lens for me & my GH5 (right thread, I hope!)

I'm looking for something fast, with a 35-50mm full frame equivalent. Whilst I don't yet own one, I'm considering getting my hands on a metabones XL (EF mount) so would consider something non-native also. So a native lens between 17-25mm, or something more like between 28-35mm if it were to be used on the metabones.

Ideally after something that doesn't weigh a ton, will be able to render nice shallow DoF and have autofocus (for stills' sake, not expecting much for video)

I know that's asking a lot, so maybe nothing out there that ticks all those boxes, but would really appreciate any recommendations. Right now I'm considering the Canon 35mm F2 IS on the metabones XL (thought the lens' IS would be somewhat redundant I'm guessing)

Thanks for any input

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (or the plain FF 24-35mm f/2.0 in a much tight range as 2nd thought if you want to get rid of vignetting in all extension, even though this won't be much of a problem along video crop format especially if you'll avoid the wide end going with the XL version; no issues whatsoever with the Ultra version) will give you the focal length you're looking for. It is the best bang for the buck you'll even find nowadays, no other glass offers you the same.

Hope this helps,

E :-)

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (or the plain FF 24-35mm f/2.0 in a much tight range as 2nd thought if you want to get rid of vignetting in all extension, even though this won't be much of a problem along video crop format especially if you'll avoid the wide end going with the XL version; no issues whatsoever with the Ultra version) will give you the focal length you're looking for. It is the best bang for the buck you'll even find nowadays, no other glass offers you the same.

Hope this helps,

E :-)

Hey Emanuel - cheers very much for the recommendation. Yeah, the sigma fast zooms seem to be a very popular option for the GH5 & Metabones. I'd definitely consider grabbing one if I find myself doing some more serious video work (or maybe just convince myself to give it a go either way!) - That said it's a bit larger and heavier than what I'd like out of a lens right now - I'd ideally like something a bit more portable, so more likely to be a prime. It could be that I'm asking for too much from a lens though! Would appreciate any more recommendations. Cheers.

@ThomHaig Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART on the cheap Viltrox EF-M2 speed booster. It has a lot of play so not good for manual focus but great for photography (roughly equivalent to the look of 45mm f/2 on Fullframe) or if you anyway don't pull focus during recording. Weight is really close to the Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95.

GH5_30_14.jpg

5 hours ago, Phil A said:

@ThomHaig Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART on the cheap Viltrox EF-M2 speed booster. It has a lot of play so not good for manual focus but great for photography (roughly equivalent to the look of 45mm f/2 on Fullframe) or if you anyway don't pull focus during recording. Weight is really close to the Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95.

GH5_30_14.jpg

Hey Phil, Cheers for getting back to me with that- looks like a decent option, and comparatively compact compared to the 18-35mm zoom - I don't suppose you know how the same lens fares on the metabones XL? Any idea if it vignettes beyond usability? 

Also, be great to hear what you make of the Viltrox - it's a fair bit cheaper than the Metabones Ultra, so if the image quality is decent I'd happily forego the XL for this. Cheers

On 3/18/2018 at 10:27 PM, ThomHaig said:

Hey Phil, Cheers for getting back to me with that- looks like a decent option, and comparatively compact compared to the 18-35mm zoom - I don't suppose you know how the same lens fares on the metabones XL? Any idea if it vignettes beyond usability? 

Also, be great to hear what you make of the Viltrox - it's a fair bit cheaper than the Metabones Ultra, so if the image quality is decent I'd happily forego the XL for this. Cheers

Unfortunately I don't know, wondered myself originally. But with some google search, you can find examples of the lens on the Canon 1D III or IV, which had APS-H sensors. Looks ok to me and gives an idea how it might be, but obviously no definitive answer.

It's ok for me but I'm not a pixel peeper. I can maybe compare

Viltrox EF-M2 + Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Zhongyi LensTurbo II + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (only wide open, no electronic aperture control)
Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95
Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4

if that's relevant. I'm just slightly busy because yesterday our GX85 died and we fly to a long vacation next Friday (Murphy's law).

8 hours ago, Phil A said:

Unfortunately I don't know, wondered myself originally. But with some google search, you can find examples of the lens on the Canon 1D III or IV, which had APS-H sensors. Looks ok to me and gives an idea how it might be, but obviously no definitive answer.

It's ok for me but I'm not a pixel peeper. I can maybe compare

Viltrox EF-M2 + Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Zhongyi LensTurbo II + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (only wide open, no electronic aperture control)
Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95
Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4

if that's relevant. I'm just slightly busy because yesterday our GX85 died and we fly to a long vacation next Friday (Murphy's law).

Cheers Phil, Really appreciate it.

Been doing some digging on the Viltrox EF-M2 and got one ordered now. If the reviews are anything to go by it's the same quality as the Metabones Ultra and a fraction of the price, cheers for mentioning it in your post! Might make sense to use the cash saved on that to grab the Sigma 18-35mm and maybe get a small native prime if I can spring for it. I'm curious - how do you find manual focus on the Panasonic 25mm f1.4?