Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Thanks for your news. I find them very useful.

Another question please: I never made manual white balance with the G5. I'd like to buy this gray card:
https://www.amazon.it/Kaavie-bilanciamento-impermeabile-portatile-staccabile/dp/B00L1R0B1O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1518039796&sr=8-15&keywords=cartoncino+bilanciamento+del+bianco
I will use it in my trips in Africa but it seems really a small size.  Do I have to keep it with my hand or can I put it on the ground? How can I use it if I'm always alone? Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@FoxAdriano It’s a compromise. If the card’s small, you’re more likely to carry it with you and take it out when you need it. If it’s too large, you’ll need to carry it in your backpack and you’re less likely to want to bother with it. A small card is pretty useless with wide primes, but since you use zoom lenses, the small size shouldn’t matter. Just zoom in on the card, custom wb, then zoom out again. You can place the card anywhere you like however - it will reflect light off of colored objects, making your readings inaccurate. The ground may not be such a great idea after all. Maybe your subject can hold the card?

Edit: I just remembered that your PL changes aperture when zooming, but that shouldn’t affect white balance. Just annoying is all.

@FoxAdriano I just finished watching a few of your documentaries - very good work! However, I notice that most of your shots are either in harsh midday light or in the pitch black interiors of huts at night. Is there no activity in the early morning hours or in the couple of hours before sunset? Also, I would definitely consider purchasing a strong ND filter for shallower depth of field. In a number of shots where the subject is not facing the light and the background is overpoweringly bright, a small reflector would enable you to throw more light in their faces while at the same time reducing the intensity of the background, like so:321A33D7-38AE-4FA1-A3B0-54534ADC5987.png

09D0AFE7-90BE-428A-858F-E9F4786D563A.png

If you continue shooting with relatively slow zooms at tiny apertures with default sharpening, your videos will never look much better than those shot with a camcorder and your purchase of the GH5 will have been for nought. I would recommend investing in a couple of outstanding fast primes. Ditto for setting the camera on shutter priority and AF and allowing the camera to think for you.

I realize this takes more time and effort, but the results will pay off in the end. You could also increase the number of subscribers to your YouTube channel with English subtitles.

I thank you a lot for your precious suggestions.

I need to be more precise on the description.
I am a lonely traveller and nobody can help me to make the WB. I make only UHD videos with GH5 and Leica 12-60, I don't make photos. I usually reach remote areas and I make shots about indigenous peoples in their villages. I film their daily life. I usually shoot in the village (outside) but inside their huts too without electricity. All my places have usually the red ground like fire. If I shot with a videocamera (Sony AX100) in automatic automatic WB, it goes crazy and looks drunk. All the clips all have bad dominants and the chromatism isn't good.
I only make videos, I has always used videocameras and now I'd like to use GH5. I will travel with it for the first time. Do you think its automatic WB works better than my Sony AX100 videocamera?
Anyway I'm thinking also of ExpoDisc Professional White Balance Filter. What is your thought please? Your pics are perfect. ;)

PS: I think I will shoot in "Natural mode" but with contrast -2 and definition -2 and manage the colors of the clips in post production.

AWB is probably okay if you persist in shooting in direct harsh sunlight. Setting Kelvin manually to 5500K would give better results. ExpoDisc is probably fine too. But why don’t you take Joseph Moore’s (Joe12south) suggestion and shoot Cinelike D? It has more dynamic range than natural. Sharpening needs to be lowered to -5, not -2. Noise reduction must also be lowered to -5. Unless you prefer oversharpened, overprocessed video.

Maybe I said and I say stupidities because I don't know well the mechanism of the camera. I'm using a camera for the first time. I'm sorry for it.

If you  are telling me to set Kelvin manually to 5500K, maybe I can choose the preset of daylight. It will be easier for me.

I'd like but I can't shoot Cinelike D mode because I setted my GH5 on 4K 59,94p 150mbp. For this reason the writing Cinelike D is disappeared. I like to understand: why to shoot in Cinelike D mode if it has more dynamic range than natural?

Preset is better than AWB.

7931A031-A9FF-4F4D-A9A0-AD4CC1C65C1A.jpeg

Just have a member of the community hold the reflector. Anyone can do it. Folded up, it takes up no space in your backpack. Believe me, they will have fun helping you. With an ND filter on your camera, your shots will turn out much better. And if it doesn’t work out, no problem. A relector only costs $10.00 at most.

0907E3F5-977A-45F9-B517-7619B8E7C625.jpeg

A reflector??? Where will I make the manual WB? Maybe can I do it on the riflector? I think you don't understand my work, I'm sorry. Sometimes I have to walk for some hours in the bush or in the rainforest. I often am in the village to rec. their daily life but in . But the problem is in the village I go in many places and I cant take with me always the reflector ot a big gray card. What is your opinion about ExpoDisc? Did you never use it?

a reflector folds up and is stored in a small pouch. It weighs nothing and takes up little space. I’ve never used ExpoDisc. I know you want better image quality than the Sony: but shooting in harsh sunlight at small apertures with no ND filter; leaving in camera sharpening set on high; without even using something as small and affordable as a hot shoe mounted LED light for your nighttime interior shots; and putting everything on automatic is going to result in camcorder footage.

No, you don’t put a grey card on the reflector. Hold it in front of the lens in the same light that is falling on your subject. Buy any inexpensive reflector, have one of the children hold it while you are shooting small groups or individuals. Shoot at dawn and dusk as much as possible. Avoid the noon sun. Shoot more close-ups of feet, hands, garments and food. Try not to close your lens down beyond f/5.6. Change your camera angle to avoid strong light behind your subjects. 

29 minutes ago, jonpais said:

No, you don’t put a grey card on the reflector. Hold it in front of the lens in the same light that is falling on your subject. Buy any inexpensive reflector, have one of the children hold it while you are shooting small groups or individuals. Shoot at dawn and dusk as much as possible. Avoid the noon sun. Shoot more close-ups of feet, hands, garments and food. Try not to close your lens down beyond f/5.6. Change your camera angle to avoid strong light behind your subjects. 

A last question please. I have ND 8 filter. Do you suggest to leave it always on the lenses during the day?

On 2/6/2018 at 1:11 AM, buggz said:

Any thoughts about the below?

A Different Approach to Making Your GH5/GH5S Footage Look More Cinematic

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/02/05/a-different-approach-to-making-your-gh5-gh5s-footage-look-more-cinematic/

Just saw this video now and used the Channel Mixer settings he shows in Premiere (or After Effects). I like it. Another tool in the box!

Here are some comparisons. This was shot in natural light on the Daylight WB preset. Here, the redness of skin in Joos's settings isn't particularly evident to me.

VLOG:

5a7c6a149c8b5_01VLog.thumb.jpg.4f57c7a0523969c0bffc9e59ec49dab8.jpg

Add contrast:

5a7c6a1645cd6_02VLogwithcontrast.thumb.jpg.79560e2423b5c95f2bc90317d2c9f139.jpg

Add Channel Mixer (Joos settings):

5a7c6a18143ac_03VLogJoosChannelmixer.thumb.jpg.2a0788a7ef19e03c4bf62e980ef54ad8.jpg

Compare with Sage's GHA with matched contrast:

5a7c6a19adc00_04VLogSageGHA.thumb.jpg.a675edd2c0a3abc773630ac77b9fb527.jpg

Compare with my current Ektar look:

5a7c6a1b5107c_05VLogEktar.thumb.jpg.2da27ec66a89f89f5c778b0209235a94.jpg

EDIT: On second thoughts, some reds are just far too saturated with Joos's Channel Mixer settings. Look at the radioactive reds that it creates on the inner lip area in this next example.

Plain VLOG with contrast:

5a7c6f71047f5_07VLog.thumb.jpg.7c7bfdc06f8418351ba03bfb4976ce97.jpg

Add Channel Mixer:

5a7c6f7299857_08VLogChannelmixer.thumb.jpg.ff9e8285d62ce185b23dda3f23b56dc1.jpg

Npw I'm very worried because I'm getting some strange problems. I hope it's a GH5 settings problem. I started making the first video editing with Edius 9 and I noticed that all the clips on the timeline have the initial part no audio tracks (less than half a second). There are no waves and you don't hear any sound (completely silent).Then as far as audio is concerned, I sometimes hear a crunching sound like it is due to an electric shock. and I also see it on the audio wave. I'm shooting in UHD at 59.94p and 150mps. What could be my problem? Do I have to be worried?

Not only that missing audio on the early part but many other problems. I use the internat mic. On another forum a guy sent me a clip shot with his GH5 and there the same my problem. ON EVERY clip there a “crunching sound” one second or less than one second before the clip finish. On every clip there is this problem. But not only it. I have many “crunching sound” even in the central part of every clip. I'm very disappointed from GH5.

I use always Kodi to watch my UHD videos shots with Sony AX100. But now I use GH5 and Kodi get problems to reach those UHD files. I configured the GH5 with UHD 59,94p 150Mbps. I use always Edius 9 and I get the file with the same steps that I have always made.
Now I'm looking for another program that replace Kodi. I love Kodi but it fell down. Unfotunately I can watch every UHD video shot with the previous videocamera but not with the new camera. Maybe Kodi get problems with high bitrates.
I have also to unistalled Kodi and installed it again on my Android Sony TV but I get always the same problem. Video is jerky. What a pity!
Now I'm asking all you a suggestion: in my hard drive I have many UHD videos. I cataloged them with the number 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. etc  and Kodi lets see all titles in a row on one page.
Do you know another software that lets see all the titles like Kodi, so that I can click on a title and watch it. I use the program ONLY to watch my UHD videos.
Thanks for your precious advice.