Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

focal excursion? Somehow that sounds obscene! What are you going on a Safari or what. I don't get it?

I think you don't make videos. I think you make photos. Yes I need lens with zoom. I always go into the forest, bush, savannah to take videos about indigenous peoples. I always travel alone.

PS: I have GH5 only for a few days and I'd like some advices from you but only if you make UHD videos. Going into the settings of the GH5 I saw these entries:
Minimum gain limit settings
Maximum Gain limit settings
if you want to use the camera automatically, what numbers would you put there? I inform you that I have them in db.
Thank you

3 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

I think you don't make videos. I think you make photos. Yes I need lens with zoom. I always go into the forest, bush, savannah to take videos about indigenous peoples. I always travel alone.

PS: I have GH5 only for a few days and I'd like some advices from you but only if you make UHD videos. Going into the settings of the GH5 I saw these entries:
Minimum gain limit settings
Maximum Gain limit settings
if you want to use the camera automatically, what numbers would you put there? I inform you that I have them in db.
Thank you

I think maybe you have been on Too many excursions LoL. Your focal is well, out of focus. There is no real definition, meaning of "focal excursion". :grin:

As for a zoom you need a 70-200mm equivalent lens. Maybe a 70-300mm, but they don't make really good ones of those. Anything above a 300mm equivalent I don't recommend a Zoom, just a Prime, But there is a 100-400mm that people use. Hard to do handheld. But you get into haze, heat wave problems, too much compression with a lens that long.

Now if you Really want a zoom lens I have had several Fujinon lenses like it. Not a 99, but couple of 70's. Now that 99 will end up being 1700mm, and with the 2x factor on a m4/3 it will be 3400mm, that ought to do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fujinon-XA99X8-4BESM-T-8-4-832mm-f-1-7-4-2-2-3-EFP-Box-Lens-Finance-w-AC/281561037688?hash=item418e587b78:g:nk8AAOSwk5FUtCSy

Don, at one of his best... LOL

Go on that Pana 100-400mm with crop and ETC mode and you'll end well beyond a thousand mm focal length away...

Or use an inexpensive mirror zoom lens with that particular bokeh but for daylight :-)

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/technology_guides/mirror-lens-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work-64667

I also like the fast (f/2.8) Olympus 40-150mm for a friendly match with GH5 including autofocus too (add the native teleconverter* and you'll reach a perfect 210mm f/4):

* http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-digital-1-4x-teleconverter-mc-14.html

Speriamo sia femmina... :-)

Yeah at times I can be, well an old sailor LoL. Hey what can I say.

That is a pretty serious good looking video of that lens. I never realized they were that good. Hmm. And what surprised me the most is, well I know it is in the grading, but that video looked more like Olympus colors than Panny colors. They have come a long ways with the GH5 I guess.

Nikon makes an incredible 80-200 zoom....don't get the 70-200....you can see the lens reviewed by Ken Rockwell...it was also used on the earlier Bourne movies...it's an AF-S F2.8 80-200 ED...it will cut with your Leica 12-60...the penalty is in weight...but speedboosted with a XL the lens is around F1.6 through the whole zoom range...the image is outstanding but you can't handhold it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnikon+AF-S+80-200+F2.8+ED+f2.8.TRS0&_nkw=nikon+AF-S+80-200+F2.8+ED+f2.8&_sacat=0

and this is around what you will pay for a good one...I own the 17-35, 28-70 and 80-200...and ar any selected FOV these zooms look like Primes.

2 hours ago, buggz said:

Any thoughts about the below?

A Different Approach to Making Your GH5/GH5S Footage Look More Cinematic

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/02/05/a-different-approach-to-making-your-gh5-gh5s-footage-look-more-cinematic/

Yes - do not follow his advice.

If you shoot HLG for rec709 delivery, you’d be better off using the Leeming LUT. 

Joo’s skin tones look like lobsters on my iPhone. Anyway, saying any LUT can magically transform drab footage into something cinematic is misleading. Lighting is number one. ?

Hi, I will reach central Africa, I will be in the bush where there aren't trees, so I will have days full of light and I will film also black people on the red earth.
I will shoot in UHD only and with Leica 12-60. Can you suggest the best settings for my GH5 please? For me it will be the first video wirh GH5 and I'm afraid to make some errors.
Thanks for your suggestions.

54 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I will reach central Africa, I will be in the bush where there aren't trees, so I will have days full of light and I will film also black people on the red earth.
I will shoot in UHD only and with Leica 12-60. Can you suggest the best settings for my GH5 please? For me it will be the first video wirh GH5 and I'm afraid to make some errors.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Here you go. 

There was an interesting thread today in a GH5 Facebook group regarding the autofocus that will be of interest to many people here. This guy suggests in the video below that the autofocus can be dramatically improved by changing the shutter angle. He then goes on to provide proof with an adapted lens.

In the Facebook group, several members have been confirming the results with both adapted and native lenses.

Before you get too excited, in the video he says it only works for 25p or 30p, and no shutter angle adjustments help for 24p for whatever reason.

If you can live with a 150 degree shutter and need your AF to track for something. This video is worth having a look at.

EDIT - just wanted to add the relevant reasoning from the video description:

When you think about it it's obvious really, your camera is running at a give frequency say 60Htz for NTSC, if your shooting at 30p and the shutter is open for half that time ie 180 Deg's the camera runs a cycle to correct focus ie, acquire image, process, correct , if the total time this takes is greater than 1/60 Htz (which it will be as that's the time taken to acquire) then the camera will wait to start the cycle again, the shorter acquire time means the camera doesn't have to wait, it can run the process again! Hence twice the AF performance.

19 hours ago, jonpais said:

If you shoot HLG for rec709 delivery, you’d be better off using the Leeming LUT. 

Joo’s skin tones look like lobsters on my iPhone. Anyway, saying any LUT can magically transform drab footage into something cinematic is misleading. Lighting is number one. ?

Jon, but he has some interesting videos about tweaking color on his channel. Now, back to lenses. Oh, wrong thread I got into here:)

I agree his videos are too red on my calibrated NEC PA272W.
I also agree there is no magic bullet solution, LUTS.

I still shoot in HLG 6K anamorphic mode, 
and edit in Resolve Studio via color settings I saw posted at dvxuser forum:

"Yes, HLG is available with 6K anamorphic mode.
In another note, besides Paul's excellent HLG LUT, you can also use HLG natively with Resolve 14 for Rec 709 delivery:
- In Project Settings, under Color Management, Change to Davinci Color Managed
- Under Color Management select:
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Input Color Space
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Timeline Color Space
-- Rec 709 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Output Color Space
In this way I am getting quite similar results - I haven't compared color accuracy, etc, but in general both look georgeous.
Paul's LUT has the advantage that it can be used when the project is not color managed in this way, so you can mix and match footage"

22 hours ago, jonpais said:

Two questions please, I need to understand better since I've always used only videocameras for many years. Is it better to film at 400 ISO or put 200 ISO on a full sun day in the African sun?

In the GH5 there are 2 buttons: in the instructions, a button called 'shutter button' and the other 'video button' (I don't have english manual). Can you tell me the difference? I make only videos with my GH5  and I have always used the button 'shutter button' because it is much more comfortable. The other one is terribly uncomfortable. In other words, I use the "shutter button" to shoot. It is a lot more comfortable, also because it sets focus before shooting when I click half button.
I would be curious to know if I have done everything wrong until today. ;)
I attach the image. The buttons in question are numbers 11 and 9. Thanks

Lumix GH5.JPG

45 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

Two questions please, I need to understand better since I've always used only videocameras for many years. Is it better to film at 400 ISO or put 200 ISO on a full sun day in the African sun?

In the GH5 there are 2 buttons: in the instructions, a button called 'shutter button' and the other 'video button' (I don't have english manual). Can you tell me the difference? I make only videos with my GH5  and I have always used the button 'shutter button' because it is much more comfortable. The other one is terribly uncomfortable. In other words, I use the "shutter button" to shoot. It is a lot more comfortable, also because it sets focus before shooting when I click half button.
I would be curious to know if I have done everything wrong until today. ;)
I attach the image. The buttons in question are numbers 11 and 9. Thanks

Lumix GH5.JPG

The reason there is a dedicated video button is so that when you're in any one of the stills modes (M, S, A, P, iA), you can quickly get a video clip by pushing that button without having to change to Creative Movie Mode (or whatever they call the video mode on the dial).

When you're in movie mode, the shutter button which is normally reserved for stills also can be used to start video recording. Note that if you set your C1, C2, or C3 settings while in movie mode, the shutter will start video recording in those settings as well, which is really handy.

Regarding ISO, I have been under the impression that 400 is the base ISO for all video modes on the GH5. So shooting in 200 would lower your dynamic range slightly. However, recently I saw some people contesting in a Facebook group that the base ISO is only 400 in HLG and VLOG-L, and that in all other modes it's 200. The documentation from Panasonic appears to support this, but it goes against what their reps have been saying in videos since release. Relevant portion below:

Still image: Auto / Intelligent ISO / 100 (Extended) / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 / 25600 (Changeable to 1/3 EV step)/Creative Video Mode: Auto / 100 (Extended) / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 (Changeable to 1/3 EV step)

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-compact-system-cameras/dc-gh5l.specs.html

Hopefully someone smarter than me can come in and clear it up definitively.

I have my lower limit currently set at 400 because I'm still not sure that 200 is the base ISO in the linear picture profiles. Upper limit is usually 3200 for me, but I'm not doing client work so don't worry too much about the noise. You should do some test shooting to determine what an acceptable upper limit is for your use.

You will still have to adjust the ISO manually if you don't put it on auto ISO. If you put it on auto, it will stay within the range you set.