Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 28/12/2017 at 6:54 AM, jonpais said:

@FoxAdriano Assuming you’ve already seen reviews and footage of the Canon and Panasonic, and if you’re still seriously considering purchasing another prosumer camcorder, the C200 and GH5 probably aren’t for you. But let’s play along anyway. First, there’s the cost - are you prepared to shell out over $8,000.00 for a cinema camera? And if you choose either the Panasonic or the Canon, will your computer be powerful enough to edit RAW or 10-bit 400Mbps, the highest quality codecs available on those cameras? Those files will also require considerably more storage space than the XAV S files of the Sony, so you might need to upgrade your external drives as well. So that’s an additional expense. I don’t know which countries you’ll be travelling to, but toting around an expensive cinema camera in the areas you’re talking about might attract unwanted attention. 

There’s really no need here to go into all the advantages and disadvantages of each of the systems, as I’m sure you’re already aware of them. But the first thing you’ll want to do to improve the quality of your videos is to start exerting manual control over exposure and white balance rather than relying on Auto; use an external microphone for better audio; pay close attention to light and composition; and bring along some small battery-powered LED lights for interior shots, and a small reflector for when you have no control over the light. 

Jonpais, thanks for your suggestions. I always made documentaries since I was a boy. Now I'd like to renew everything of my old item: videocamera, PC, software, etc. I need to improve the image quality of my Sony AX100. For that reason I was thinking about GH5. But my concern is not the GH5 quality but about replacing my AX100 videocamera with a camera. I love GH5 but I'm afrai it is not the right item for me. Click on my signature please, so you can see what I make with my camera.

Thanks

So the crop factor in 16:9 UHD mode will be around 1.84x?

I am using a GH5 with the Speed Booster XL at the moment i.c.w. the Sigma 18-35. 
At 18mm there is a very slight vignetting going on in the corners, but because I always add black bars in post this isn't a problem for me. But now with another 10% increase in FOV, the lens might be unusable at 18-20mm. Maybe it will get too soft in the corners too.

Of course there is always the option to zoom in and use the lens only from 20-35mm. But of course the lens becomes also shorter at the tele end. I doubt it will be the perfect lens for this camera and speed booster still. Maybe I should swap the XL for the Ultra version then.

I suppose nobody has tested the GH5s with this combo yet?

15 hours ago, Stab said:

So the crop factor in 16:9 UHD mode will be around 1.84x?

I am using a GH5 with the Speed Booster XL at the moment i.c.w. the Sigma 18-35. 
At 18mm there is a very slight vignetting going on in the corners, but because I always add black bars in post this isn't a problem for me. But now with another 10% increase in FOV, the lens might be unusable at 18-20mm. Maybe it will get too soft in the corners too.

Of course there is always the option to zoom in and use the lens only from 20-35mm. But of course the lens becomes also shorter at the tele end. I doubt it will be the perfect lens for this camera and speed booster still. Maybe I should swap the XL for the Ultra version then.

I suppose nobody has tested the GH5s with this combo yet?

It will end in the same results because of diagonal:

This is inaccurate:

https://www.43rumors.com/exact-crop-factors-caluclated-new-gh5s-multiaspect-sensor/

On 16-1-2018 at 1:56 AM, Emanuel said:

It will end in the same results because of diagonal:

This is inaccurate:

https://www.43rumors.com/exact-crop-factors-caluclated-new-gh5s-multiaspect-sensor/

Hmm, but I have seen clips where the GH5 was compared to the GH5s and the shots from the GH5s were definately a bit wider with the same lens.

11 hours ago, Emanuel said:

well, if so, where's the catch then? :-)

The catch is that the sensor is oversized, and expands the readable area horizontally in those aspect ratios instead of just cropping more vertically. This lessens the crop factor in those formats compared to the GH5 sensor.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/10/multi-aspect-sensor.html?m=1

Can anybody explain to me why the sky appears to be rapidly pulsing between white and light blue when it's blown out?

I'm shooting 4k 23.97p 10 bit, if it makes a difference.

I've noticed it a couple of times, typiaclly in high contrast environments. For instance, if I'm in a jungle, the sky that peeks through the leaves will shimmer a bit.

I think it might be the autofocus hunting or something, but I still have to do some tests when I have some time. If anyone is familiar with this and could tell me what it is, that would be awesome.

EDIT - I should also mention, I'm shooting in full manual other than autofocus. ISO typically locked at 400, and shutter at 1/50th.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:04 AM, Cinegain said:

Hum, stock is already being reported...

https://geizhals.eu/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5s-schwarz-gehaeuse-a1751404.html

Daniel Peters already working on LUTs...

Now... I'm usually not game for anything new if there's not a little incentive (freebie, discount), but I'm sorta really excited about the GH5S. Gotta list that GH5 sooner than later I think.

Shouldn't this be in one of the dozen or so GH5s threads?

5 minutes ago, TARS said:

Can anybody explain to me why the sky appears to be rapidly pulsing between white and light blue when it's blown out?

I'm shooting 4k 23.97p 10 bit, if it makes a difference.

I've noticed it a couple of times, typiaclly in high contrast environments. For instance, if I'm in a jungle, the sky that peeks through the leaves will shimmer a bit.

I think it might be the autofocus hunting or something, but I still have to do some tests when I have some time. If anyone is familiar with this and could tell me what it is, that would be awesome.

EDIT - I should also mention, I'm shooting in full manual other than autofocus. ISO typically locked at 400, and shutter at 1/50th.

Could you at least share a clip?

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Shouldn't this be in one of the dozen or so GH5s threads?

[..]

Ah, my bad, I thought this was a centralized/sticky topic for all things related GH5S... didn't notice the missing 'S', also because of previous convo to my post.