Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

According to 43Rumors, the new Image App is supposed to enable remote control of both the GH5 and G9 via Bluetooth only (with the exception of image transfers). I haven’t had problems with the wifi recently, but it used to drive me nuts (taking forever to connect, losing connection while filming). Bluetooth should help improve stability greatly. Strangely, I’m not seeing any new updates yet over at iTunes or on Panasonic’s support site, but can’t wait to try it out.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey, 

I am still wondering wether to buy a GH5 or not. Fact is that i have seen very few really cinematic material from the camera. I have shot three music promos with it this year. For examples the following (Last shots are BM Pocket). Overall i love the handling of the GH5. It's such a pleasure to use!

Or this one:

Now i have shot another vid using a a7r2 ( it's not released yet) and though the pictures were much noisier somehow the results are looking more cinematic.

I have tried some comparisons of both cameras and am still looking Into it. 

As some stills are looking very nice from GH5 material and the Slomo stuff is looking pretty cinematic as well, i am wondering wether there is something in the shutter in 24fps /25fps mode that gives the GH5 a bit of a video Look. I haven't found any information or comparisons on the web. Maybe one of you has seen something?

Kind of funny for me to hear Rap music in German! Works fine.

I think I would at least wait for this GH5s thingy to see what it is. Might be the best thing since sliced bread for the money?

Trouble with the BMPCC is low light and it is not the easiest thing to handle. I sort of like the BMCC better for production. But you are not going to run n gun with it like you sort of can with the BMPCC.

Yeah that seems crazy the a Sony a7r II would be noisy?? They are almost as good as the A7s. Yeah not a lot I have seen either that is Cine looking out of a GH5 compared to what you get form a BM product.  But it does have a wealth of features in it not many cameras have. I think better LuTs will come out. That Arri LuT on here Sage has looks great for them.

Hi, I use a Sony AX100 for my 4K ethnic documentaries around the world. The next month I'd like to replace my Sony AX100 with another videocamera like .I'm thinking about the new Canon EOS C200 or Panasonic GH5. But maybe I make  some errors because I like to travel alone and sometimes I shoot in auto mode. Maybe it is better I will buy another real and easier videocamera. But I'd like to get a better image quality than Sony AX100 in 4K. What is your suggestions?
thanks

@FoxAdriano Assuming you’ve already seen reviews and footage of the Canon and Panasonic, and if you’re still seriously considering purchasing another prosumer camcorder, the C200 and GH5 probably aren’t for you. But let’s play along anyway. First, there’s the cost - are you prepared to shell out over $8,000.00 for a cinema camera? And if you choose either the Panasonic or the Canon, will your computer be powerful enough to edit RAW or 10-bit 400Mbps, the highest quality codecs available on those cameras? Those files will also require considerably more storage space than the XAV S files of the Sony, so you might need to upgrade your external drives as well. So that’s an additional expense. I don’t know which countries you’ll be travelling to, but toting around an expensive cinema camera in the areas you’re talking about might attract unwanted attention. 

There’s really no need here to go into all the advantages and disadvantages of each of the systems, as I’m sure you’re already aware of them. But the first thing you’ll want to do to improve the quality of your videos is to start exerting manual control over exposure and white balance rather than relying on Auto; use an external microphone for better audio; pay close attention to light and composition; and bring along some small battery-powered LED lights for interior shots, and a small reflector for when you have no control over the light. 

On 23/12/2017 at 4:58 PM, Chrille said:

Hey, 

I am still wondering wether to buy a GH5 or not. Fact is that i have seen very few really cinematic material from the camera. I have shot three music promos with it this year. For examples the following (Last shots are BM Pocket). Overall i love the handling of the GH5. It's such a pleasure to use!

Or this one:

Now i have shot another vid using a a7r2 ( it's not released yet) and though the pictures were much noisier somehow the results are looking more cinematic.

I have tried some comparisons of both cameras and am still looking Into it. 

As some stills are looking very nice from GH5 material and the Slomo stuff is looking pretty cinematic as well, i am wondering wether there is something in the shutter in 24fps /25fps mode that gives the GH5 a bit of a video Look. I haven't found any information or comparisons on the web. Maybe one of you has seen something?

I think the more cinematic look you mention will be down to dynamic range and depth of field

Yes - but I'm happy that GH5 is so close to bmppc's  very high pure-image standard :)

In fact, as it were proved in many tests, mimic capability of graded GH5 footage besides Blackmagic or even Red cameras is very respectable.

(So I'm surprised because of widely unbearable longing for GH5s savior - as if at once GH5 becomes incapable tool.)

On 12/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, hyalinejim said:

GH5 at a friend's wedding. A little bit of grain, vignetting, lens blur and digital diffusion... plus a colour treatment based on my experiments with matching colour and contrast with Ektar 100 film.

Wow that was a very special video! They will be a happy couple down the road to have that to look back on. Well done.

Hi all! I’m Giacinto from Italy, new to this forum.

i’m a owner of the GH5 and i have started a petition for add the function of focus transition on the panasonic image app. It would be great for remote controlling the focus pull through A-B-C points with the app, especially when the camera is mounted on a gimbal or on a jib.

https://chn.ge/2CcahBU

If you like this idea, please sign and share!