Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Vesku You’re able to fit the GH5 in your pocket? Incredible.

Yes. I have a just right size belt bag. i can carry my GH5 with 14-140mm zoom with its "pocket" but it cant take any external devices other than one battery and some SD cards. 

I must try some tiny external mic and test if I can get better audio. GH5 mic low tone limiting is so bad. I wonder if an external mic uses GH5 counter noise tech for handling noises?

By the way your Rode test video is not fair if the Rode mic is closer to you than the GH5 internal mic. The distance to mic is the most important factor when trying to record speaking in noisy room. (Not counting long very directive mics).

The whole point of the video is you’ve got to get the mic off camera. Even an inexpensive mic will outperform the GH5 as long as it’s close to the subject. The in-camera noise cancelling is to eliminate noise from the IBIS. The GH4 audio was not without its own problems. But if you can only carry a couple SD cards, whatever. It’s your show.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

The whole point of the video is you’ve got to get the mic off camera. Even an inexpensive mic will outperform the GH5 as long as it’s close to the subject. The in-camera noise cancelling is to eliminate noise from the IBIS. The GH4 audio was not without its own problems. But if you can only carry a couple SD cards, whatever. It’s your show.

There is not always a "subject" in video. Ambient sound is quite often all I need. If I want to hear someone talking I try to put the camera as close to subject as I can. A good directional mic would be helpful with people talking in noisy places. A good mic is of course better than in camera mic. In my videos the in camera mic has been good enough. I just dont like the way GH5 limits low frequencies.

A big mic may be a bit scary too for a subject if I want the most natural or "stealth" recording. Also in some places it makes too much attention to use a big mike. The guards or officials may want to stop me shooting if they think I am making a video story or documentation. With a plain GH5 I can shoot more freely and without too much attention of others.

When I was in Singapore last month, I purchased an Angelbird 128GB v90 SD card for $250.00. It wasn’t until after flying home that I discovered the card couldn’t keep up when shooting 400Mbps. I emailed Angelbird and they responded promptly, asking me to return the card to them. Two weeks later, I received a replacement, which works just fine. While Panasonic is selling their card for a whopping $500 at B&H, the Angelbird has been marked down to $200.00, which also happens to be $50 less expensive than even the SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC Memory Card, which is not v90, if such things matter to you. 

• Super Members

Not very shocking that the GH5 took the top spot on DPReviews list of the best stills cameras for video.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/2017-buying-guide-best-cameras-for-video

And its great to see our old friend Ebrahim Saadawi champion it in the comment section.
He has been very active there lately, maybe we he will make a comeback :)

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Firmware update Ver.2.2 now available. 

Function can be assigned to the Fn button of the interchangeable lens including H-ES200.

Video recording stability in VFR (Variable Frame Rate) mode is improved.

Version 2.2.2 jonpais mode- beautiful lens simulation modes with just the kitlens:)

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

And its great to see our old friend Ebrahim Saadawi champion it in the comment section.

He has been very active there lately, maybe we he will make a comeback :)

I think he has not let go the pleasure of posting on eoshd under another anonymous alias. Oh, and thanks for providing some reading pleasure. :)

Edit: Ebrahim is providing some funky statements on dpreview, I must say. A7riii as no1 and a6500 as no2, sl2 no3, funky!

8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Mattias Burling hopefully he doesn’t try to sell someone his “gh5” ?

some unknown people have been offering even more expensive stuff. Always seems kinda odd to me when super new people are offering stuff for sale.

To me is GH5 the most capable camera to very extreme conditions. I have just spent 10 days in peruvian amazon rainforest and the humidity and muddy conditions were hard. I shot V-log 10bit 24p and the results seems to me very good (filmic :-D) as you can see on this very short trailer to movie about expedition to Matses tribe: