Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

You have a good point there, Glenn. ? As an aside, I realize some cynics (and I’m not saying you’re one of them!), accuse Sony or Panasonic of adding ‘useless’ features like 4K to their cameras only in order to be able to sell TV sets, but as everyone knows by now, the reason our cameras have been shackled to rec 709 is precisely because of  guidelines drawn up for 30 year-old display technology. 

And a full frame Panasonic would be awesome. Where can I preorder?

Oh well, it looks like we may have misinterpreted Luke’s news. After what Panasonic has already released with the GH5, I don’t see how anyone could expect anything more.

But I will say that I don’t think it’s cynical at all to say that Panasonic made features available on their cameras to help sell televisions. It isn’t a bad thing, it’s business.

Of course, Panasonic also knows their customers and understand that the GH series is a popular camera amongst video enthusiasts and indie filmmakers, so they include features like anamorphic, LUT loading, waveform monitor, shutter angle, etc... to solidify that customer base. I don’t think they include it out of the kindness of their hearts though. 

But they also add features like HDR(HLG?) which is an obvious attempt to get creators creating HDR content for future owners of their televisions.

However, I do believe they’ve included 10bit video to help with their Log profile. And then they went a step above by adding the 400mbps all-i.

So for whatever reasons, it still benefits the community, so it doesn’t really matter and if that forces Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and Olympus’ hand. Hell, maybe Pentax will be inspired to add more video features.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@mercer Not sure I agree with any of the above, but we can still be friends, right? :) 

Hmm... I don’t think anything I wrote above is negative of Panasonic or the GH5? But yeah we’re still buds, I just enjoy talking about cameras and watching what people can do with them. I may have seemed overly critical of the GH5, but in reality I was sooo close on multiple occasions of ordering one. I chose to go the ML Raw route after watching dozens upon dozens of videos. But the GH5 is an amazing camera that would benefit a lot of filmmakers and perhaps not the right choice for a lot of other filmmakers/videographers.

With that being said, I wouldn’t recommend the 5D3 and ML Raw to most people either. 

Panasonic, like all Japanese companies, has a corporate culture and business philosophy. Andrew Reid posted it here somewhere I believe, but I can't find it. Nevertheless, I think we can be pretty sure that the folks designing the cameras and lenses at Panasonic have a deep commitment to their job and I think we can safely assume that several are enthusiast filmmakers and photographers themselves. They take pride in their work. If I remember correctly, one of Panasonic's principles is to create products that are good value for the money. Another reason behind their success is that they listen to photographers and filmmakers and work closely with them. Of course, another guiding philosophy is that their business must be profitable. Like Sony, Samsung, LG, Dolby, Netflix and some thirty other companies, Panasonic belongs to the UHD Alliance, a group charged with promoting the benefits of UHD and HDR content. The industry as a whole saw the need for changed standards as a result of the immense advancement in display technology. It would be inconceivable for Panasonic to include HLG as a feature if there were no monitors or television sets capable of displaying as many as twelve or more stops of dynamic range. Whether they operate out of the goodness of their hearts or from some diabolical ulterior motive is quite frankly not something I've ever thought about. Suffice to say, that it doesn't make me lay awake at night in a cold sweat wondering whether my GH5 is a blessing from heaven or the very embodiment of evil. But you may be certain that my iPhone does!

But they also add features like HDR(HLG?) which is an obvious attempt to get creators creating HDR content for future owners of their televisions.

It's not so obvious to me. :=) I am in no position to know whether Panasonic included HLG in order to sell television sets, but since there are probably more GH5 owners reading this site than anywhere else, please leave a comment below if you intend to purchase a Panasonic HDR TV because of the GH5. I kind of doubt it.

22 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Panasonic, like all Japanese companies, has a corporate culture and business philosophy. Andrew Reid posted it here somewhere I believe, but I can't find it. Nevertheless, I think we can be pretty sure that the folks designing the cameras and lenses at Panasonic have a deep commitment to their job and I think we can safely assume that several are enthusiast filmmakers and photographers themselves. They take pride in their work. If I remember correctly, one of Panasonic's principles is to create products that are good value for the money. Another reason behind their success is that they listen to photographers and filmmakers and work closely with them. Of course, another guiding philosophy is that their business must be profitable. Like Sony, Samsung, LG, Dolby, Netflix and some thirty other companies, Panasonic belongs to the UHD Alliance, a group charged with promoting the benefits of UHD and HDR content. The industry as a whole saw the need for changed standards as a result of the immense advancement in display technology. It would be inconceivable for Panasonic to include HLG as a feature if there were no monitors or television sets capable of displaying as many as twelve or more stops of dynamic range. Whether they operate out of the goodness of their hearts or from some diabolical ulterior motive is quite frankly not something I've ever thought about. Suffice to say, that it doesn't make me lay awake at night in a cold sweat wondering whether my GH5 is a blessing from heaven or the very embodiment of evil. But you may be certain that my iPhone does!

It's not so obvious to me. :=) I am in no position to know whether Panasonic included HLG in order to sell television sets, but since there are probably more GH5 owners reading this site than anywhere else, please leave a comment if you intend to purchase a Panasonic HDR TV because of the GH5. I kind of doubt it.

Well I don’t necessarily believe Panasonic wants GH5 owners to buy an HDR television but they do need proof of content to sell HDR TVs to others and since little exists, it helps that the GH5 can record it.

And I am not saying that Panasonic is some evil conglomerate that rubs their hands together as they decide what features to include or not include in their cameras, but I also wouldn’t romanticize the intent of Panasonic engineers as being in love with filmmaking and shooting with their future GH5. Either way it doesn’t matter... everybody wins... Panasonic releases a great camera. They make money and filmmakers get great features for a low cost. I just find it hilarious that there is this idea that Panasonic is for the indie filmmaker but Canon or Nikon wants spit in our faces. They’re all about the bottom line and Panasonic chose Video features to reach theirs. Canon chose DPAF... etc...

@jonpais I guess it depends how important AF is to any particular indie filmmaker. 

I just think it’s a folly to go back and forth about which company cares about their customers more... when they all care about deep their pockets are.

I think all filmmakers need to decide what features are important to them and then make a decision based on that.

For me, 4K is st the bottom of the list, so 10bit 4K doesn’t even register on my radar. It’s a cool feature but it won’t make or break any film I ever make... at least anytime soon. I do like the IBIS and 10bit all-i 1080p and in future camera purchases, I will probably want DPAF because that is a feature that will help my level of productions. But I don’t think Canon developed it because they really care if I can track focus and then tap the screen to rack focus.

So no Canon doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside as a company but I appreciate the effort that went into that specific feature.

This thread got me thinking .The teasers Neumann Films does in his VLOG posts, plus his cryptic comments in this thread... might point to a new MFT cam with better low light capabilities.

Funnily enough, 43rumors thinks a big MFT announcement is imminent in december (news posted today)

In his vlog Neumann - after teasing us with a "Classified" after unboxing something unidentified - shows a lot of available light night shooting... possibly with that new cam? this rimes well with Cliff Totten's Analysis of the GH5 sensor and its successor, the IMX294CJK. That new sensor is 10megapix-ish, and high sensitivity. Please find the link to the sensor here.

It features bigger photocells, and even a HDR mode on-chip. I'm not even getting started on 4k120p or anamorphic modes.

It's all conjecture at this point and wishful thinking... but wouldn't a GH5s be damn nice?

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

....please leave a comment below if you intend to purchase a Panasonic HDR TV because of the GH5. I kind of doubt it.

I am planning to buy a good HDR TV to watch my GH5 videos. It may not be a Panasonic TV.  LG or Philips OLEDs are first two items in my list for Santa Claus.

Different cameras do different things. Sony cameras have the low light capability and that is one of their main calling cards.

Another body, from someone it seems?

17 hours ago, Neumann Films said:
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Hmm... I don’t think anything I wrote above is negative of Panasonic or the GH5? But yeah we’re still buds, I just enjoy talking about cameras and watching what people can do with them. I may have seemed overly critical of the GH5, but in reality I was sooo close on multiple occasions of ordering one. I chose to go the ML Raw route after watching dozens upon dozens of videos. But the GH5 is an amazing camera that would benefit a lot of filmmakers and perhaps not the right choice for a lot of other filmmakers/videographers.

With that being said, I wouldn’t recommend the 5D3 and ML Raw to most people either. 

I honestly don't know if RAW is being added to the GH5 or not.

It would be great if it was though!

Different cameras do different things. Sony cameras have the low light capability and that is one of their main calling cards.  The GH5 is more "all around" in my opinion. 

Its a beast!

Well, it was already rumored that Panasonic would split their flagship into flagships... like Sony did with the A7, A7R and A7S series. So... now that they've decided to give us the photocentric G9... maybe up next indeed a low MP count GH5s with lowlight focus (clean ISO6400, usable ISO12800?).