Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

19 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yes, it's true : ) Funny question... I've just posted a new thread on topic:

I have enrolled myself in some productions (mostly narrative, aside a few docs or experimental stuff when happens) of other people, although in sabbatical retirement these last two years. When and where I've practically dedicated myself to photography as personal path of my own or funding new projects to come next year or to luckily start in the end of this year. Let's see what happens :-)

5DII, GH1 and G7 by this chronological order with or another exception aside, as shooter.

I love the 5D2 and ML Raw... some people like that look more than the 5D3. Honestly, what more do you NEED than that?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, mercer said:

I love the 5D2 and ML Raw... some people like that look more than the 5D3. Honestly, what more do you NEED than that?

Indeed. That's my point exactly. If you're happy with, why to move along? : )

I have to be pretty sincere on here. I normally resist to trade in my tools for the newest promise to keep up the vibe. To me the secret is always on combos. That's just my weak point :-D

Speaking of devil, 5D2 only had two flaws: DSLR form factor (I did the move to the GH series to begin with the GH1 and never looked back in any way other than as when ML RAW popped up) and aliasing/moiré. The latter one much prone to overcome with the proper handy skillful workarounds. We did a feature film with (even before ML hack) becoming a web series too later, at least:

41 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Loving the GH5. Not nearly as difficult to cc V-Log as I thought. Tricky to gauge exposure with V-Log the first time 'round though. 

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. If you nail exposure with v-log it's not that hard to get it to look better than the other profiles, but it's a little tricky. I need to practice more on that. 

I thought your Veydra test looked better than this which is why I asked. They looked really nice btw, and I'm not jealous at all...

I'm currently just on my 2014 MBP, so I don't exactly have the best monitor to judge things. Sold my LG 5K and will be ordering a new iMac next month.

Can't believe how 'robust' the 4.2.2 10bit files are - even in V-LOG they are virtually unbreakable (Blue skies remain banding free) even with very heavy adjustments. Coming from a Sony A7s and A7r2 where skies band without any processing this is nothing short of a miracle how Panasonic have done this with a 150mbs codec. Still prefer Cinelike-D for most scenes unless they contain huge contrast ranges as the highlight roll-off is smoother and light shades have more tonal detail.

I'm about to buy gh5. Can anyone tell me what the rolling shutter is like compared to gx85. I've found those files hard to wrap stabilse with some micro wobbles. Ends up all warpy and wobbly. Also how big a deal is vlog? Can I start with cinelike or do I need it from the get go?  and what's the 1080 like? The gx85 is a bit gnarly

@gethin Congratulations! You'll love the camera, even if setting it up is a bit cumbersome at first. Hopefully, Andrew will release his manual soon. V-Log Lite is supposed to offer twelve stops of dynamic range compared to the 10 stops of Cinelike D, but I don't think it's always absolutely necessary. Being able to load LUTs into the camera for previewing your image is also a definite plus. The Cinelike D of the GH5 already seems to have greater tonality compared to that of the G85. 

4 hours ago, gethin said:

I'm about to buy gh5. Can anyone tell me what the rolling shutter is like compared to gx85. I've found those files hard to wrap stabilse with some micro wobbles. Ends up all warpy and wobbly. Also how big a deal is vlog? Can I start with cinelike or do I need it from the get go?  and what's the 1080 like? The gx85 is a bit gnarly

After doing some more tests I'm not convinced that V-Log offers a real practical DR advantage over Cinelike -D (with contrast at -5) so you can easily get going without it. Certainly with contrast other than minimum you will start to see the shadows block up but it will take a very contrasty scene to make this a problem. Cinelike D (and the other profiles) also have much smoother highlight rolloff which can be useful in many scenes.

Well, @gethin , this again:

On 23-3-2017 at 1:55 AM, Cinegain said:

The 95MB/s* seems to classify as V30 (so max. sustained 30MB/s, 150Mbit/s should be a little less than 20MB/s, so I imagine that's fine; *read, 90MB/s write). More about speed classes, as you've probably seen, here: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/index.html . Haven't seen any official V60 cards yet (required for GH5 w/ firmware update; 400MBit/s - 50MB/s, so V60), but I have V90 and those would roughly be the ones with spec: R280/W250. The Panasonic and Delkin ones, don't come cheap though. If 90 equals 30 and 250 equals 90, you're looking at about a factor 3x. So, 60x3=180 (also 90+30=120/2=60 and 250+90=340/2=170). That's the exact writespeed of the 'Transcend Ultimate SDXC 64GB, UHS-II U3/Class 10'. With all that said, draw your own conclusions and then check cards availlable and pricing right here.

Though I've seen one ADATA card with V90 classification that fails to follow this logic, but I would still prefer other cards because it does make me wary (dropped frames and whatnot). I personally will keep getting SanDisk cards, they've been holding up superbly since the GH2 and BMPCC days and I've tried many brands since, but SanDisk are the ones that has that lasting impression of high standard, high quality. Their R95/W90 cards later got classified as V30, so I can imagine the W280 and W300 cards will keep up fine too in the V60+ segment. V60 (or V90 if you feel like it) is basically what you'll need for the FW update (and wanting to use those high bitrate settings). Before 150Mbit/s ~ 20MB/s, V30 of not even, should do, but I'd buy stuff with an eye on the future.

Hi

With regard to V30, V60 and V90 cards, these specify a minimum write speed, regardless of the state of card (fragmentation, erased state etc) which is the important bit of course for real-time recording, so will be lower than the headline marketing speeds.  Also it is important to note that to obtain these guaranteed minimum speeds these cards need to be written to using a different protocol, and the card itself needs to specifically support this protocol as well as the camera (of course the GH5 does).  This means buying a card that doesn't show the V rating, because it appears fast enough based on it's other speed ratings  or some website bench-marking, is not the best route to take and will likely see problems.

Regards

Phil

8 hours ago, philipd said:

Hi

With regard to V30, V60 and V90 cards, these specify a minimum write speed, regardless of the state of card (fragmentation, erased state etc) which is the important bit of course for real-time recording, so will be lower than the headline marketing speeds.  Also it is important to note that to obtain these guaranteed minimum speeds these cards need to be written to using a different protocol, and the card itself needs to specifically support this protocol as well as the camera (of course the GH5 does).  This means buying a card that doesn't show the V rating, because it appears fast enough based on it's other speed ratings  or some website bench-marking, is not the best route to take and will likely see problems.

Regards

Phil

You ever noticed this on the SanDisk UHS-II's tho ('4K @ 500 Mbps')?

32gb-recording-time-645x208.jpg.905fb0cd694e9bf0f3cf530852e5e4db.jpg