Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

14 hours ago, Stab said:

A short comedy film with the GH5. Very heavy grading, but still holds up very good IMO.

I don't know what caused the person who filmed that to fall on his head and damage his brain so much that he thought filming that was a good idea. Maybe the same insanity that Kathy Griffin had? Utterly insensitive and stupid. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I don't know what caused the person who filmed that to fall on his head and damage his brain so much that he thought filming that was a good idea. Maybe the same insanity that Kathy Griffin had? Utterly insensitive and stupid. 

I thought it was pretty funny tbh. Also, the comparison with Kathy is not really valid as she was showing someone alive today in a horrible matter (and could be interpreted as she wanting something similar to happen to mr Trump), and this video is just about a silly eggplant. More of a parody on IS than anything else I think.

But well, everyone is different :) 

I'm unsure was that supposed to be "insensitive" to eggplants or knives? Are we not supposed to make films that question and bring attention to things in the world? Here's a video I shot on the XC10 last summer for a contest. It's probably equally as offensive. 

I have a question: I am using a 128 GB Sandisc Class 10 U3 R95 - W 60 MB/s and a 128 GB Transcend Class 10 U3 R90 MB/s card. Both have never failed neither in the GH4 nor the GH5.

Now the initial question was:

When I was taking pictures of birds in flight recently, https://flickr.com/photos/150332016@N06/sets/72157681824825243 I ran into problem with the buffering when taking burst shots with jpeg and raw. There were new birds coming but the buffer was full and the GH5 busy wigh writing to the SD card, before I could take pictures again) The camera was set, so that it filled one card and then use the other once the first is full. Now my question is: How do I distribute the files best, so that the buffer is not filled too fast? Jpeg in one and raw in the other? Also, if I use a UHSII card in one slot, would I then send jpeg and raw to the same slot? I think I am not into the future 400 mbit of a future firmware upgrad, so for video, my current 4 cards with 128 GB and 95 mbits are fast enough, so if a faster UHSII card writes pictures faster on the card, this would allow to empty the buffer faster and to shoot (burst pictures) longer. So how should the files be distributed for fastest writing on the card? Thanks.

Then I made a frw tests: When using H or M in burst mode, the GH5 takes about 70 pictures (jpeg and Raw) in about 10 seconds and then needs 50-55 seconds to empty the buffer. No matter if jpeg and raw is written on one or separated the writing process on two cards, no matter if H or M mode. It is the same.

In L mode it takes about 2 Minutes until the buffer is full and over 200 pictures are taken in that time. Again, it needs 50-55 seconds to clear the buffer.

I think I need a UHS II V60 or V90 card, to empty the buffer faster, right? Or any other possibility?

On 15/06/2017 at 1:45 PM, mercer said:

I'm unsure was that supposed to be "insensitive" to eggplants or knives? Are we not supposed to make films that question and bring attention to things in the world? Here's a video I shot on the XC10 last summer for a contest. It's probably equally as offensive. 

Apples to oranges ; )

Glenn, call it founding fathers of POV's responsibility... As you wish.

Point taken, anyways :-)

44 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Apples to oranges ; )

Glenn, call it founding fathers of POV's responsibility... As you wish.

Point taken, anyways :-)

I don't know, I just don't think we as filmmakers should stop making films because 1 out of 10 people may get offended by it... even if 9 out of 10 people get offended.

When produce and cutlery becomes offensive, we have problems as creators.

Now somebody could be offended by my video, or Stab's, if it's a bad idea, or poorly done, but because of the subject matter? Who cares?

2 hours ago, mercer said:

(...) because 1 out of 10 people may get offended by it... even if 9 out of 10 people get offended (...) if it's a bad idea, or poorly done, but because of the subject matter? Who cares?

Freedom of speech stops where other rights also start to pop up : ) Numbers are really irrelevant for that matter. Not principles, though. But, there's no safe kryptonite elsewhere nor almighty gods in profane sands; both sides inevitably require to match each other. Their fate.

E :-)

On 2017-6-16 at 4:18 AM, AKED-M said:

I have a question: I am using a 128 GB Sandisc Class 10 U3 R95 - W 60 MB/s and a 128 GB Transcend Class 10 U3 R90 MB/s card. Both have never failed neither in the GH4 nor the GH5.

Now the initial question was:

When I was taking pictures of birds in flight recently, https://flickr.com/photos/150332016@N06/sets/72157681824825243 I ran into problem with the buffering when taking burst shots with jpeg and raw. There were new birds coming but the buffer was full and the GH5 busy wigh writing to the SD card, before I could take pictures again) The camera was set, so that it filled one card and then use the other once the first is full. Now my question is: How do I distribute the files best, so that the buffer is not filled too fast? Jpeg in one and raw in the other? Also, if I use a UHSII card in one slot, would I then send jpeg and raw to the same slot? I think I am not into the future 400 mbit of a future firmware upgrad, so for video, my current 4 cards with 128 GB and 95 mbits are fast enough, so if a faster UHSII card writes pictures faster on the card, this would allow to empty the buffer faster and to shoot (burst pictures) longer. So how should the files be distributed for fastest writing on the card? Thanks.

Then I made a frw tests: When using H or M in burst mode, the GH5 takes about 70 pictures (jpeg and Raw) in about 10 seconds and then needs 50-55 seconds to empty the buffer. No matter if jpeg and raw is written on one or separated the writing process on two cards, no matter if H or M mode. It is the same.

In L mode it takes about 2 Minutes until the buffer is full and over 200 pictures are taken in that time. Again, it needs 50-55 seconds to clear the buffer.

I think I need a UHS II V60 or V90 card, to empty the buffer faster, right? Or any other possibility?

Looks like the Sandisk extreme empties the buffer at the same rate as my extreme pro. 1 minute. I'd say the UHS II is the way to get faster yes. Currently the Sandisk version only claims to be V30 so for video at 400Mbps that would not be useful at all. It still empties the buffer twice as fast though, so I'm guessing 30 seconds. 

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

Haha! Well, I am a bit of a gambler when it comes to things like this. If I had one, I'd definitely give it a shot. The BMPCC speedbooster worked fine with my GH4. Also happens to work very well on my BMCC giving it 1.33x crop.

There might have been more of a desire for this with the GH4 as it has an extra crop in 4K. Now that the GH5 has no extra crop in 4K and there are several native wide angle zooms starting at 7-8mm available...

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

There might have been more of a desire for this with the GH4 as it has an extra crop in 4K. Now that the GH5 has no extra crop in 4K and there are several native wide angle zooms starting at 7-8mm available...

Sure. For me, it's not just the wider field of view -- it's the compressed spatial and defocus qualities of relatively longer focal lengths married to a wider field of view that really revs my engine. 

37 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

Sure. For me, it's not just the wider field of view -- it's the compressed spatial and defocus qualities of relatively longer focal lengths married to a wider field of view that really revs my engine. 

I've only done one comparison, between a full frame lens along with the SB XL and a native micro four thirds lens, and for me, the magic was in the native lens, not the adapted one. 

Sorry for offtopic : I just bought a used gh5 and I wish to check the camera's shutter count. I been following this guide (https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/panasonic-g-shutter-count), but I am unable to access the service mode. Is it my own user error or this method is not available for gh5? Is there any other way to check the shutter count on this camera? 

5 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

Haha! Well, I am a bit of a gambler when it comes to things like this. If I had one, I'd definitely give it a shot. The BMPCC speedbooster worked fine with my GH4. Also happens to work very well on my BMCC giving it 1.33x crop.

The stabilized/moving sensor on the GH5 may be an issue with the BMD speedbooster. The XL is not a problem, though it does  a bit of vignetting with some S35 lenses....still well worth getting rid of in post, for the extra 1/3 stop faster and slightly smaller crop factor.