Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

First weekend out with my GH5 a month ago, I meant to test most of the features while shooting some Parkour / Freerunning. First feature I tried was 180fps slowmo and I got totally obsessed. Amazing feature. Here's a video of the test footage I shot with a talking intro and then some discussion of my experiences with it after. First real video I've produced on the GH5 and am loving every second of i!!
Shame about the awful 1080 YouTube compression but hopefully shows off the 180 awesome well enough.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone had their GH5 shut off 30 min into recording? I was recording HD on a Sandisk Extreme 95 so I'm sure it wasn't a card error. I had it set up to record some BTS and when I checked on it 45 min later it has powered down. I turned it back on and the battery was still 3/4 full. I checked the file and it had recorded 31 minutes.

6 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Has anyone had their GH5 shut off 30 min into recording? I was recording HD on a Sandisk Extreme 95 so I'm sure it wasn't a card error. I had it set up to record some BTS and when I checked on it 45 min later it has powered down. I turned it back on and the battery was still 3/4 full. I checked the file and it had recorded 31 minutes.

Yep and works like a charm. I am constantly recording 95 minute interviews to 256gb cards.

On 5/29/2017 at 4:17 PM, funkyou86 said:

Yep and works like a charm. I am constantly recording 95 minute interviews to 256gb cards.

Which card is this?

I current use a Lexar 2000X in my GH4, and have a GH5 on it's way to me, so, I need a new card, or so I've read...

15 hours ago, Orangenz said:

wooden camera? 

Thanks, I wil look this up.

2 hours ago, buggz said:

Which card is this?

I current use a Lexar 2000X in my GH4, and have a GH5 on it's way to me, so, I need a new card, or so I've read...

SuggestionofMotion on facebook is investigating some of those sort of things atm. 

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

SuggestionofMotion on facebook is investigating some of those sort of things atm. 

Good, I don't understand why Lexar cards, and Belkin V90 cards don't work in the GH5.

I can't afford to be the guinea pig tester.   Shrug, guess you can always return them?

BTW, my Lexar card is a 1000x 128GB, works great in the GH4.

Hopefully soon, I will test it in my new GH5...

10 minutes ago, buggz said:

Good, I don't understand why Lexar cards, and Belkin V90 cards don't work in the GH5.

I can't afford to be the guinea pig tester.   Shrug, guess you can always return them?

BTW, my Lexar card is a 1000x 128GB, works great in the GH4.

Hopefully soon, I will test it in my new GH5...

Hmm, I mean the cages.

I don't think anyone suggested the lexar cards didn't work. Just that they are not as fast as others. If it works at 200 Mbps on the GH4 then that's great. 

8 hours ago, buggz said:

Which card is this?

Hey. I use Kingstone 256GB U3 cards (R90/W80), they work perfectly fine. Except that one time when my card died on the shooting day and lost all of my footages...

18 hours ago, buggz said:

Which card is this?

I'm using Lexar 2000x cards right now on the GH5 and they work great.  I have a few of them including the 128GB and the 32GB ones.  They all work great on the GH5.  My tests say that when they are freshly formatted, the GH5 writes 100Mbytes/sec (about 800Mbits/sec).  And a fragmented nearly full card will still not dip below 70MBytes/sec (560Mbits/sec).  They do read/write much faster on a computer, but those are the speeds on my GH5.  

I read the page where a guy tested a plethora of SD cards including the Lexar 2000x cards and reported that he got 35MB/sec.  Definitely no problems like that on my side.  As a matter of fact, my 2000x Lexar's seems to outperform every card he tested according to his results.

4 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

hey peeps any news on firmware update 400mbps?

Nuttin, apart from reconfirmation that AF will be tweaked. 

9 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

Anyone have some example stills taken with it yet? The initial batch on flickr looks awful, as it typically does for most cameras, but I'm willing to bet it can produce some nice stills, esp paired with a Voigtlander.

Hope you're not talking about One Tree Hill. It so pretty!