Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

I returned the GH5 cause I Was in the 30 day return window. Won't hesitate to purchase again if AF magically becomes good. 
But a little bird tells me that I have better chance waiting for the A7SIII. 

At the moment my only projects are my travels anyway. Don't need something right now. 
In the future I will do a round the world trip so thats another story.

Spoke to a DJI VP the other day, told him why on earth would they not make a drone (wether a Phantom or Mavic who cares) with the Mavic form factor but with the Phantom 4 Pro 1inch sensor camera. I said even if the drone is twice as big as the Mavic, just the same form factor is what I want. Would buy in a heartbeat. 
He said they are not developing that but would do if demand was here. 
Am I the only one thinking the Phantom form factor makes no sense vs the Mavic?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I returned the GH5 cause I Was in the 30 day return window. Won't hesitate to purchase again if AF magically becomes good. 
But a little bird tells me that I have better chance waiting for the A7SIII. 

At the moment my only projects are my travels anyway. Don't need something right now. 
In the future I will do a round the world trip so thats another story.

Spoke to a DJI VP the other day, told him why on earth would they not make a drone (wether a Phantom or Mavic who cares) with the Mavic form factor but with the Phantom 4 Pro 1inch sensor camera. I said even if the drone is twice as big as the Mavic, just the same form factor is what I want. Would buy in a heartbeat. 

Same POV here on both BTW.

Still waiting for that so promised Osmo X5S...

As previously stated here, the best device is the one available in our hands ;-)

26 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

GoPro Karma will be good indication for size of your fantasized 1inch sensor mavic drone.

On 2017-5-23 at 7:07 AM, funkyou86 said:

The best GH5 review out there. Wolfcrow did a great job.

Good looking is not the same as good job. No I'm not going to watch it. His previous video trying to compare 8 to 10bit was not good. My comments on that one:

1. His banding test was completely wrong. He has completely the wrong idea about what kind of test he needs to be running, which is a leniency test, not an adobe extreme test. All codecs break down eventually. It looks like he just went and found a setting that did that.

2. He spends a lot of the time talking about irrelevant topics and states that.

3. His chroma key test showed a huge difference and he dismisses it with "you can use neat video to make up for this."

4. He claims editors have difficulty playing the 150Mbps files which sounds like he has a hardware problem that he needs to get sorted. I can play 8 such files at the same time on the Adobe timeline from a slow HDD without problem.

5. The dismissal of using the 150Mbps codec also affects the 4k 50/60p files from the GH5. So he is basically arguing to not use the GH5.

6. His scene selection for the first test was just bizarre. What kind of scenes get the most affected by banding?

7. In his green screen test he admits not lighting his screen properly.

Conclusion: Doesn't tell us of any value about the GH5 and makes completely unjustified conclusion on the basis of his own test.

6 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Does anyone have the false color LUT that they can upload? I keep trying to go to the site and it appears to be down.

The site is up and working. It would be unethical to share the LUT, since there is a voluntary contribution for the developers.

6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Good looking is not the same as good job. No I'm not going to watch it. His previous video trying to compare 8 to 10bit was not good. My comments on that one:

I agree completely. He made the same points in the new video and I was like wtf?

Still fighting with GH5 colors and dynamic range.....

Cinelike D is for me ,very yellow, slightly green and not real skin tone

Today I found a pretty promising setting, You definitely try..

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

Photo style: NATURAL 0,-5,-5,-2,0

And important -  AWB adjust. A:6 !!!

----

5 minutes ago, tonysss said:

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

Isn't Master Pedestal the one thing that nobody really understood and roundly advised not to change when the GH4 came out?

What does it do?

9 minutes ago, tonysss said:

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

Share some clips when you have a moment?

If you use a corrective LUT, you can restore the proper color balance and take advantage of the extra dynamic range if you don't need V/Log.

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Share some clips when you have a moment?

If you use a corrective LUT, you can restore the proper color balance and take advantage of the extra dynamic range if you don't need V/Log.

I want to have the best colors directly from the camera, and I then lightly corrected with LUT. 

In today's fast time I have to give my client a job right now and do not tune colors for 3 weeks :-)

30 minutes ago, tonysss said:

I want to have the best colors directly from the camera, and I then lightly corrected with LUT. 

In today's fast time I have to give my client a job right now and do not tune colors for 3 weeks :-)

Where did your file disappear to? i was just about to download it...

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Where did your file disappear to? i was just about to download it...

I shooting something publishable with this setting, I'll send a link

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

Then I just add saturation in FCPX,  (bigger saturation in GH5 is not so natural)

Maybe you could consider purchasing Leeming Lut One for Cine-D? It will give you accurate colours straight out of the box.

By using A:6 you're pushing all hues to orange. But the relationship between them will still be just as skewed. Leeming's luts will reallocate the spread of hues and saturation to match a standard Colorchecker.

It should solve the green skin problem.