Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, mercer said:

You made some fair points, but I wouldn't define Wolff's comments as "misinformation." And I'm not a hundred percent sure that stating that the GH5 is not the camera for someone who needs good AF, is being picky of its flaws. What I don't understand is blind allegiance and even stretching the truth about a product.

I actually don't care about AF with the GH5, I would never use overpriced, plastic native lenses with it, if I had decided to buy one. 

As far as the JVC, I would never buy that camera anyway, so I don't really care about its flaws. The only thing I've ever mentioned about the camera is that it has nice color and good 4K... oh that's right... I said I liked the image better than the GH5... I'm sorry I guess that was my mistake. 

No Glenn, I believe your mistake : ) is thinking that bothers me someone likes some other camera better than GH5.

I just wish that camera may end the best seller ever.

For a simple reason:

To be able to welcome other hybrids out there to compete with the features of this one.

And a GH6 to come even much more innovative than the predecessor.

This doesn't mean I put any other camera lower than GH5. They're all welcome, really. Only pro features as those we find in GH5 captures my attention and devotion. As well, its outcome, confirmed by lots of videos, not only those you've mentioned among the usual YT mediocracy.

The way people don't explore the complexity of the GH5's AF system or try to exaggerate limitations REALLY puzzles me. What to say about REDs, Blackmagics and so on? But the worst is people thinking they know what they actually don't know. Would I trust on wolf33d for a video like those shot by him? Yes. Why not? : )

To accurately tell me about the autofocus of a product which requires time and dedication but he has decided to dislike? Never. :-)

And he is not the only one...

Unfortunately, not every camera has successors at higher level. Do you remind the PureView 808? We are 5 years later... And? :X (without mention we have a new model every year in the smartphones segment)

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I wouldn't buy those overpriced plastic lenses either - I prefer the overpriced metal ones.

I am addicted to bargains instead, I confess :-)

Wow wow wow

You guys are really amazing. I do not know where to start but I will say this:

to @Emanuel I do not know why you keep attacking me, and start now by judging me. You tell me I take too quick conclusions on gear, yet you judge me personally without knowing me at all. Funny isn't it?

to @jonpais well, I am not sure you realize what being in the backcountry under 120mph winds, rain, hiking 15 miles a day for multiple consecutive days mean. It means that I reduce my weight as I can (and have those cheap super light 12-32mm was a choice of mine in this regard) It also means I do not have the time to put a ND on when the light requires it, then remove it - under the rain - when the light changed, and so on and so on. You have to think different than a normal shooting situation.
I am just an amateur doing is 3rd travel video, going to Patagonia to enjoy trekking. I try to have the shooting experience the most automatic and non intrusive possible. 
This was not a professional shooting. I did not go there for the movie but for me and my girlfriend. So I do not care about your ND filters. I cared about enjoying and bringing then back a memory taking form with this movie :)
Now if you have a look at my Cuba video, conditions were better and easier and I had more time to shoot manual (including focus) as you can see below.

I was just sharing the video as this is a GH5 thread. And giving my thoughts about the camera. I think that should be the last time I share something here if it is either to get personal attacks, either to try to say I am dumb not to be able to carry a 1 ounce ND filter. I really do not get your points. 
I received many constructive comments from friends (critics about some of the transitions being too repetitive for example). Yours were not. 

And the slowmo stuff VS filming in high res is a personal choice. For high res, I take photography (see my gallery here: http://bit.ly/2rMLPRb let me know if you have constructive comments) 

My previous video (Cuba) should be more to your linking in term of ND filter, resolution and shits

@wolf33d Actually, the 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens is by no means a soft lens - I did a direct comparison between it and the $1,000+ Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 on my GM1 a few years back and was surprised at how well it held up. Unfortunately, it hasn't got a manual focus ring. And I never was able to find a decent ND filter for it here in Vietnam because of the small filter thread (37mm I think). 

10 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

An interesting document from Panasonic about how to work with LOG. The PDF is specific to the DVX200 but it does contain interesting info.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4k/pdf/ag-dvx200_tech_brief_vol6_en.pdf

Nice find. Summary might be:

- probably have to add a little bit of sharpening in post

- expose for highlights if you don't want clipping (80 ire)

- expose for middle grey (18%) if you don't mind clipping (42 ire) or if clipping isn't a problem

- the log curve is dark weighted 8:4 so you don't have to overexpose to the right if you don't need to. (ie. don't chase 80 ire 2 stops up for no reason)

His summary: "aim to expose an 18% gray card at about 42 IRE, keep your Caucasian skin highlights to below 55 IRE, and set your Zebra 2 to 75 IRE to keep from clipping highlights."

With the last point at 75 IRE  being that some colour channels might clip before the white zebras show it at 80.

@wolf33d 

hey man, don't take it personally please : ) you know we've had our friendly divergences on each gear announcement, I guess : D That's all! ; ) Other than that and the fact as Watzlawick said that's impossible to not communicate so we, me, you... express ourselves through our own posting ; )) I praise your videos and really miss your posts, never noticed? :-)

Moreover, let me tell you pretty straightfoward: I find you a funny and an intelligent poster from the stuff in general I've been used to read from you. I see you keep exaggerating not only on your comments based on paper specs most part of the time... LOL Sorry, couldn't resist once more : P Now more seriously: healthy kidding with you is much different from personal attacks, c'mon : )

@Cinegain shame on you for that like in wolf's post... hehe :-D

Last but not least and in another serious disclaimer: we are over here for fun, not for ad hominem attacks, absolutely disgusting sport if we can call it like that... To be able to listen a different opinion is part of being here in these boards. There are distinct ways to achieve that. That's all about that.

6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Nice find. Summary might be:

- probably have to add a little bit of sharpening in post

- expose for highlights if you don't want clipping (80 ire)

- expose for middle grey (18%) if you don't mind clipping (42 ire) or if clipping isn't a problem

- the log curve is dark weighted 8:4 so you don't have to overexpose to the right if you don't need to. (ie. don't chase 80 ire 2 stops up for no reason)

His summary: "aim to expose an 18% gray card at about 42 IRE, keep your Caucasian skin highlights to below 55 IRE, and set your Zebra 2 to 75 IRE to keep from clipping highlights."

With the last point at 75 IRE  being that some colour channels might clip before the white zebras show it at 80.

Lots of V-Log L goodness in that PDF.

I have searched the forum for quite a bit but couldn't find anything regarding (even though I'm sure I saw such a discussion somewhere before), so bear with me:

What's wrong with the V-Log L View Assist feature?

I have installed the V-Log L update last weekend (makes you wonder if they couldn't manage to deliver it on a floppy disk with following code activation via fax to go full retro) and played around with it. I'm used to the View Assist of the Sony a6300 which brings the image back to Rec709-ish colors and contrast but I'm kind of baffled by the implementation on the GH5.

The pre-installed Rec709 LUT doesn't bring back same level of contrast as using one of the regular picture profiles. So I exported my standard setting from FilmConvert in the V-Log L specific preset version, converted it to *.vlt with LUTCalc and put it into the GH5. But it still lacks contrast to what I get when using the FC profile in Resolve or when using the exported LUT in my SmallHD 501 for monitoring.

Is this working as designed, is it a bug, is I dumb?

• Super Members
8 hours ago, jonpais said:

@wolf33d Actually, the 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens is by no means a soft lens - I did a direct comparison between it and the $1,000+ Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 on my GM1 a few years back and was surprised at how well it held up. Unfortunately, it hasn't got a manual focus ring. And I never was able to find a decent ND filter for it here in Vietnam because of the small filter thread (37mm I think). 

This one isn't particularly horrendous actually.

Works on the Olympus 45mm which has the same size thread as well as the little SLR magic 35mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/trade-Premium-Filter-SCHOTT-OPTICAL/dp/B00KH8Q6ZS

18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

This one isn't particularly horrendous actually.

Works on the Olympus 45mm which has the same size thread as well as the little SLR magic 35mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/trade-Premium-Filter-SCHOTT-OPTICAL/dp/B00KH8Q6ZS

Amazingly, I just got my $200 X-Rite Colorchecker from Germany, no mafia/customs fees. Something this small just might make it through, too...

21 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I have searched the forum for quite a bit but couldn't find anything regarding (even though I'm sure I saw such a discussion somewhere before), so bear with me:

I have installed the V-Log L update last weekend (makes you wonder if they couldn't manage to deliver it on a floppy disk with following code activation via fax to go full retro) and played around with it. I'm used to the View Assist of the Sony a6300 which brings the image back to Rec709-ish colors and contrast but I'm kind of baffled by the implementation on the GH5.

The pre-installed Rec709 LUT doesn't bring back same level of contrast as using one of the regular picture profiles. So I exported my standard setting from FilmConvert in the V-Log L specific preset version, converted it to *.vlt with LUTCalc and put it into the GH5. But it still lacks contrast to what I get when using the FC profile in Resolve or when using the exported LUT in my SmallHD 501 for monitoring.

assuming your monitor is calibrated, remember your camera lut can be different from the one you actually use on the footage so use a contrast boosted lut for your camera if you like. Mine look ok though. 

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Happy with the product, Jon?

Surprised how small it is, first of all. Comes in a very durable hard plastic case, so should last a long time, with care. I'm working on yet another viral video, ? comparing the results of eyeballing WB, using one of the WB presets and using X-Rite. X-Rite is getting me in the ballpark faster and with less guesswork. I also guess it's compatible with the plug-in Color Finale, just not sure if they've added the G85 or GH5 yet.

37 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Surprised how small it is, first of all. Comes in a very durable hard plastic case, so should last a long time, with care. I'm working on yet another viral video, ? comparing the results of eyeballing WB, using one of the WB presets and using X-Rite. X-Rite is getting me in the ballpark faster and with less guesswork. I also guess it's compatible with the plug-in Color Finale, just not sure if they've added the G85 or GH5 yet.

Let's wait for your review. Worthy as usual : ) There are reviews and reviews. Your readers/viewers have already been used to the complete and rich content from yours. They really rock indeed :-)

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

[..]

@Cinegain shame on you for that like in wolf's post... hehe :-D

I get the sacrifices for the greater good! The cliché 'the best camera is the one you have with you' is so true. You just gotta make the best with what you have. Anything else is as obvious as it is useless. :grin:

9 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I get the sacrifices for the greater good! The cliché 'the best camera is the one you have with you' is so true. You just gotta make the best with what you have. Anything else is as obvious as it is useless. :grin:

Wise words, man!

Don't take them as ad hominem attacks please? LOL

(Shame on you @wolf33dLucky you, no phone number of yours or you'd wake up earlier this morning! ;-)

5 hours ago, Phil A said:

This may be a great exposure tool for you....it's a false color LUT you can download....I'm old fashioned and use a lightmeter, but in the absence of a lightmeter you may find this helpful.

https://luts.iwltbap.com/false-color-lut/

5 hours ago, Phil A said:

I exported my standard setting from FilmConvert in the V-Log L specific preset version, converted it to *.vlt with LUTCalc and put it into the GH5. But it still lacks contrast to what I get when using the FC profile in Resolve

I made my own viewing lut as well and the contrast goes funky - lots of banding and posterisation as I rack the exposure up and down. I think the level of contrast itself is pretty much spot on, though.

I just ignore it as I know it'll be fine in post, but I'd prefer if it were more WYSIWYG. There's no banding or posterisation with the built in lut.

Maybe the in-camera VLog to Viewing Lut to Monitor / LCD pipeline happens on a really basic level.

7 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

False color lut now available for GH5:

https://luts.iwltbap.com/false-color-lut/

Benjamin did a great job, again!

Agreed. If Jon's reviews rock, what about that? That's only an example.

You see @wolf33d, why you could push your GH5 now returned? I bet our AF performance follows the rule.

Never underestimate on your first impressions! 1st thing to retain. Hard work against our own perception (sorta as much as waking up before the recommended sleep-wake cycle when earlier the best timing for) is mandatory.

This is addressed for everyone. For some reason I place the first-person plural.