Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

My video of Patagonia with the GH5

You funny.... I see next time I can't recommend you anymore a capture device to your disliking or you'll risk to use it again ; ) This time twice (GH5 & Mavic! WOW) -- hope you don't operate the same with the best 2nd half of a man *cough cough* Nevermind... Your videos in a way or another always save the grace :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/19/2017 at 3:06 AM, Emanuel said:

You funny.... I see next time I can't recommend you anymore a capture device to your disliking or you'll risk to use it again ; ) This time twice (GH5 & Mavic! WOW) -- hope you don't operate the same with the best 2nd half of a man *cough cough* Nevermind... Your videos in a way or another always save the grace :-)

Lol. True. 

2 points though: 
I returned the GH5. It was fine for this video (using slow lenses in bright light with no ND, so super small apertures therefore no focus pbm) but with proper lenses, the AF is just a deal breaker FOR ME. As you can see in the video I am a gimbal guy and I hate to have to focus all the time in action. 
For someone who does not care about AF, I have to say the camera is really great and hard to beat that many features at the price point 

Mavic: needed the lightest stuff for week long treks. IQ is awful though. I would love a Phantom 4 Pro with the 1in sensor in the Mavic form factor (even if bigger) .

This trip needed the lightest stuff (thus the shitty lenses, and the Mavic). For normal people not hiking 7 days in the backcountry I recommend the Phantom 4 Pro (I admit the newer Pro version is a lot better than a Karma). 

I am not getting any new camera yet. Just cant find a proper one. Hated lots of things on the A7R2 (some of them addressed by A9) and the GH5 would be all I need for video (still need a different camera for photo) if it had a proper focus in video, at least a6500 level. 

Well I will be soon doing a trip around the world so manufacturers better hurry up. 

@mercer just saw your message, I think you have my thoughts in this message. Overall love the ergonomics, love the orientable screen, love the specs (even though I shot the trip by choice in slowmo only) love the IBIS - some shots you see are not on gimbal and I bet you can't say which - but again hated the AF after some tests at home so returned it. 

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Lol. True. 

2 points though: 
I returned the GH5. It was fine for this video (using slow lenses in bright light with no ND, so super small apertures therefore no focus pbm) but with proper lenses, the AF is just a deal breaker FOR ME. As you can see in the video I am a gimbal guy and I hate to have to focus all the time in action. 
For someone who does not care about AF, I have to say the camera is really great and hard to beat that many features at the price point 

Mavic: needed the lightest stuff for week long treks. IQ is awful though. I would love a Phantom 4 Pro with the 1in sensor in the Mavic form factor (even if bigger) .

This trip needed the lightest stuff (thus the shitty lenses, and the Mavic). For normal people not hiking 7 days in the backcountry I recommend the Phantom 4 Pro (I admit the newer Pro version is a lot better than a Karma). 

I am not getting any new camera yet. Just cant find a proper one. Hated lots of things on the A7R2 (some of them addressed by A9) and the GH5 would be all I need for video (still need a different camera for photo) if it had a proper focus in video, at least a6500 level. 

Well I will be soon doing a trip around the world so manufacturers better hurry up. 

@mercer just saw your message, I think you have my thoughts in this message. Overall love the ergonomics, love the orientable screen, love the specs (even though I shot the trip by choice in slowmo only) love the IBIS - some shots you see are not on gimbal and I bet you can't say which - but again hated the AF after some tests at home so returned it. 

Have you seen these tips?

And next page too without mention the firmware to come.

On the Mavic side, these 3 (!) threads:

9 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Lol. True. 

2 points though: 

Beautiful scenery for sure, but everything is soft like 480p. Which lenses were you using? What made you decide not to bring along an ND filter? I'm seeing far too many videos shot with the GH5 in bright light with the kit lens with no ND filter. It seems to me even if you'd shot with the Rokinon 12mm f/2 and used an ND filter the results would have been sharper than this. Also, I don't shoot architecture or landscape, but just how important is AF-C when shooting these? 

49 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Beautiful scenery for sure, but everything is soft like 480p. Which lenses were you using? What made you decide not to bring along an ND filter? I'm seeing far too many videos shot with the GH5 in bright light with the kit lens with no ND filter. It seems to me even if you'd shot with the Rokinon 12mm f/2 and used an ND filter the results would have been sharper than this. Also, I don't shoot architecture or landscape, but just how important is AF-C when shooting these? 

Either HFR or frame interpolation from slowing things down will do that. The high rez timelapse will make the effect more obvious, as will the youtube compression. 

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Have you seen these tips?

And next page too without mention the firmware to come.

On the Mavic side, these 3 (!) threads:

Seen all of this. I replied to the Mavic thread. I am now using +1 sharpness and neat video

As for the GH5 update I do not believe they can do miracles with contrast based AF, pardon me if I am wrong 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

480p? Are you sur you did not mean 144p...?

Don't forget it is slow mo only 120 and + fps. Don't forget the shitty lens, and YouTube. Otherwise I don't know what to say.

No way I would bring a 12mm only. I needed lightest weight PLUS zoom versatility.

Your comment for AF and landscapes is not relevant, I am shooting a person in a landscape, not just a landscape.

And please watch my Cuba video on my YouTube channel. It looks a lot better and it was shot with A7RII and also you will see why I need the focus. 

5 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Seen all of this. I replied to the Mavic thread. I am now using +1 sharpness and neat video

This one here from the other threads too? Have you followed the comments section as well?

As for the GH5 update I do not believe they can do miracles with contrast based AF, pardon me if I am wrong 

And about those GH5 tips? You know a camera requires time and workaround for optimization...

No, Jon said it seemed 480p instead... Can I add some criticism to a personal level without look like to be a jerk or even offend you?

I notice your posts for awhile enough to dare myself to feel I know a bit of you or your approach to stuff in general, you know?

And you know what I feel?

You're often superficial or too quick to jump for conclusions of your own... Maybe good for a gambler or a soccer goalkeeper for example : ) Never for filmmaking. It doesn't matter how good scenery or your capture/edit is :-)

11 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Don't forget it is slow mo only 120 and + fps. Don't forget the shitty lens, and YouTube. Otherwise I don't know what to say.

Ahh, yeah that would be soft 1080. The resolutions won't match. I would use Instant4K Red Giant plugin if uprezzing and exporting 1080 as 4k. Takes a lot of time to render of course but in the end you generally can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080 if you use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lygWL2unr_Q

Why can't wolf just not like the GH5? Actually he never said he didn't like it, he just didn't think the AF was effective enough for his style of shooting. If you really want to criticize the man, you could easily have said... yeah of course the AF isn't good enough... go get a Canon if you want good AF... but instead you try to convince him that he isn't using it properly... personally I think this is one of the nicer GH5 videos I've seen, so why not commend him?

28 minutes ago, mercer said:

Why can't wolf just not like the GH5? Actually he never said he didn't like it, he just didn't think the AF was effective enough for his style of shooting. If you really want to criticize the man, you could easily have said... yeah of course the AF isn't good enough... go get a Canon if you want good AF... but instead you try to convince him that he isn't using it properly... personally I think this is one of the nicer GH5 videos I've seen, so why not commend him?

I do appreciate Wolf33d sharing his video. I thought the scenery was beautiful - I don't think I've ever been to a place as lovely as that. But seriously,  how can you tell if the AF works when the image is so soft to begin with? Also, I don't do mountain climbing, but it's hard to believe someone could travel to a spot as remarkable as this and not bring along at least one decent lens and an ND filter. It's not as though he hadn't planned this trip for a while. And I realize there are sometimes misunderstandings online, but his response, 'no way would I bring a 12mm only' - I never suggested Wolf only take along one lens on his trip. ND filters don't weigh that much, either.

50 minutes ago, mercer said:

It makes very little difference whether any of us like a camera or not...I've read about your evaluation of the camera as someone who wanted to like the GH5, but in the end you could not...and I enjoyed reading the process you went through...I don't see this as members criticizing the film or wolf but I do see the question hang out there....a camera is just an inert thing....like a hammer or a chisel...and the filmmaker makes the choice...what camera...what lenses....to AF or not to AF....these are the responsibilities that lie with the filmmaker...no forced choices...just decisions made along the way....and the reason your post and search re the GH5 resonated with me, is because I feel exactly the same about Panasonic colors as you do about Canon colors...it gives you the image you want...once that choice has been made, the rest is all your fault or mine...because ultimately the image is everything...the filmmakers job is to work around the rest...nothing more or less...so I tend to like images more than I like cameras lol??

5 hours ago, mercer said:

He can do whatever he wants. What about the readers out (t)here? What about disinformation or let's use some harder terminology: FUD *poop* You know people read. You know sales go down. You know R&D investment follows the curve. Hybrid gear follows up. And price for expensive gear and ENG cameras I personally find a minus for creative filmmaking art follow the rule. Economies of scale are a bitch, you know, we know : ) You've already accused me to be much defensive on GH5. Listen, I am not paid by Panasonic but I believe they could wire me indeed... LOL

My friendly beef with wolf33d I don't know the name but his alias is old. It includes any piece of new gear he immediatly bashes through his posting because doesn't match HIS needs or liking without the necessary learning about -- most part of time, still when they are literally specs on paper (let alone distinct lens AF performance, different settings combination or shooting setups): GH5, Mavic... not only Panasonic stuff; not fanboy here, I'm sorry, I am brand agnostic since ever : ) and you can find me to defend Sony (my 1st love), Canon (my 1st DSLR and 1st reason why I moved away from REDs to here) or any other major or small workshop *a bit harsh to use the word for some vaporware at times* the usual under the perspective from someone used to read you two.

BTW, here's one now directly addressed to you, Glenn: you're so picky on GH5 flaws. What about your love about that JVC toy? I posted that test full of issues. You still praise the thing or added no word on that *sigh* go figure if those were GH5 issues instead... LOL You remind me what or who? Myself when I try to look for some alternative to mainstream. But, hybrid devices like 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording + 4K/60p + IBIS + complex AF (it doesn't matter how rough is) are far to be other than fragile and innovative market experiment yet. Nevermind, it should be your creative mind of a screenwriter to talk. Fair enough. Our posts say too much about us, though. That's for sure! ;-)

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

He can do whatever he wants. What about the readers out (t)here? What about disinformation or let's use some harder terminology: FUD *poop* You know people read. You know sales go down. You know R&D investment follows the curve. Hybrid gear follows up. And price for expensive gear and ENG cameras I personally find a minus for creative filmmaking art follow the rule. Economies of scale are a bitch, you know, we know : ) You've already accused me to be much defensive on GH5. Listen, I am not paid by Panasonic but I believe they could wire me indeed... LOL

My friendly beef with wolf33d I don't know the name but his alias is old. It includes any piece of new gear he immediatly bashes through his posting because doesn't match HIS needs or liking without the necessary learning about -- most part of time, still when they are literally specs on paper (let alone distinct lens AF performance, different settings combination or shooting setups): GH5, Mavic... not only Panasonic stuff; not fanboy here, I'm sorry, I am brand agnostic since ever : ) and you can find me to defend Sony (my 1st love), Canon (my 1st DSLR and 1st reason why I moved away from REDs to here) or any other major or small workshop *a bit harsh to use the word for some vaporware at times* the usual under the perspective from someone used to read you two.

BTW, here's one now directly addressed to you, Glenn: you're so picky on GH5 flaws. What about your love about that JVC toy? I posted that test full of issues. You still praise the thing or added no word on that *sigh* go figure if those were GH5 issues instead... LOL You remind me what or who? Myself when I try to look for some alternative to mainstream. But, hybrid devices like 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording + 4K/60p + IBIS + complex AF (it doesn't matter how rough is) are far to be other than fragile and innovative market experiment yet. Nevermind, it should be your creative mind of a screenwriter to talk. Fair enough. Our posts say too much about us, though. That's for sure! ;-)

TBH, if that's some of the best footage Glenn's ever seen from the GH5, there's really nothing much more to discuss. Because we're already worlds apart on what constitutes good image quality, let alone content. 

Edit: and I can't subscribe to this reasoning either:

Nah, not that at all. There are just some truths in life... The Godfather is one of the best films ever made, Pizza is good, The Beatles are the best band ever, and Kholi's GH5 footage is the best GH5 footage posted thus far. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, you should be able to recognize these simple truths. - mercer

On the spot, Jon. Here's why your posts often much say. All about standards. We always must put them on high. Well, just as a little disclaimer on my last post. My 1st love actually was film but once in Rome be roman, the point is made. Fanboys are pussies.

At least, those who put a single device or a geek approach in front of the beauty of a picture. We are all geeks, but to be a fan should mean beyond. Cinema fans and so on are made of some other kind ever since. Hence let's get high our standards please. We can praise something. Doesn't mean it's paramount.

That said, I still second to praise The Godfather, The Beatles, pizza, Kholi's skills or that Patagonia piece but Coppola didn't invent the film language as much as his choice rather than the rest of the pipe ended on GH2 though : D classic composers are much beyond and richer than such repetitive pop chords which reminds me wolf33d edits : ) neither is true no one is able to beat Kholi with a GH5 in hands.

:-)

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

I do appreciate Wolf33d sharing his video. I thought the scenery was beautiful - I don't think I've ever been to a place as lovely as that. But seriously,  how can you tell if the AF works when the image is so soft to begin with? Also, I don't do mountain climbing, but it's hard to believe someone could travel to a spot as remarkable as this and not bring along at least one decent lens and an ND filter. It's not as though he hadn't planned this trip for a while. And I realize there are sometimes misunderstandings online, but his response, 'no way would I bring a 12mm only' - I never suggested Wolf only take along one lens on his trip. ND filters don't weigh that much, either.

I'll tell you this, if I was traveling to a place as beautiful as that, I'd be sure to capture footage in the highest resolution & bitrate possible and, if I was determined to slow motion, I'd consider doing it in post to avoid the inevitable deterioration in resolution by doing in-camera slo mo. The other alternative is to do two takes, one in the slo mo and the other in the highest resolution possible.

9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

You made some fair points, but I wouldn't define Wolff's comments as "misinformation." And I'm not a hundred percent sure that stating that the GH5 is not the camera for someone who needs good AF, is being picky of its flaws. What I don't understand is blind allegiance and even stretching the truth about a product.

I actually don't care about AF with the GH5, I would never use overpriced, plastic native lenses with it, if I had decided to buy one. 

As far as the JVC, I would never buy that camera anyway, so I don't really care about its flaws. The only thing I've ever mentioned about the camera is that it has nice color and good 4K... oh that's right... I said I liked the image better than the GH5... I'm sorry I guess that was my mistake. 

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

I understand your points, but I like soft video that takes the edge off the inherent digital videoey look of these cameras. I probably would have used a smaller frame rate to get a little more sharpness, but it's not my video... now as to why he didn't use ND filters... IDK... I would have but again irrelevant. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

TBH, if that's some of the best footage Glenn's ever seen from the GH5, there's really nothing much more to discuss. Because we're already worlds apart on what constitutes good image quality, let alone content. 

Edit: and I can't subscribe to this reasoning either:

Nah, not that at all. There are just some truths in life... The Godfather is one of the best films ever made, Pizza is good, The Beatles are the best band ever, and Kholi's GH5 footage is the best GH5 footage posted thus far. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, you should be able to recognize these simple truths. - mercer

Yup, I think he handled the color nicely compared to a lot of videos I have seen. But your sharpness point is really another negative of the GH5, or an overblown feature that seems like a pro but may actually be a con. We've all seen Wolff's Cuba video, the man knows what he's doing and is capable of razor sharp footage.

As far as not subscribing to an old comment of mine... well... a little more information as to what you oppose in that comment may make your point a little more clear. 

8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

On the spot, Jon. Here's why your posts often much say. All about standards. We always must put them on high. Well, just as a little disclaimer on my last post. My 1st love actually was film but once in Rome be roman, the point is made. Fanboys are pussies.

At least, those who put a single device or a geek approach in front of the beauty of a picture. We are all geeks, but to be a fan should mean beyond. Cinema fans and so on are made of some other kind ever since. Hence let's get high our standards please. We can praise something. Doesn't mean it's paramount.

That said, I still second to praise The Godfather, The Beatles, pizza, Kholi's skills or that Patagonia piece but Coppola didn't invent the film language as much as his choice rather than the rest of the pipe ended on GH2 though : D classic composers are much beyond and richer than such repetitive pop chords which reminds me wolf33d edits : ) neither is true no one is able to beat Kholi with a GH5 in hands.

:-)

Okay, let me clarify... at the time... weeks... months ago... IMO Kholi's video was the best footage floating around from the GH5. If I had to choose now, I'd say Luke Neumann's 6K Alien Video is the best GH5 footage I've seen and that motorcycle video you posted a few weeks ago. All of those filmmakers would have made equally great footage, maybe better, with 5D4... which is my real issue with the GH5... On the surface it is a great camera, with great features... there just hasn't been as many great videos popping up... which has actually surprised me. I really, really wanted to buy a GH5, but I just haven't seen enough compelling footage to warrant the price tag. Again this is just my opinion.