Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, Stab said:

I just came back from a wedding shoot with the GH5 and there is one thing that I'm not too happy about. With the GH3 and GH4, I could use the internal mics for the party in the evening. The loud music was picked up pretty well and I didn't disort at all so was useable.

Now, the GH5. I had the audio-input at -12 db which is the lowest setting the camera does and it records fucking LOUD. All clips from the party are heavily distorted like the camera was taped onto the speakers.

Now, other than turning the limiter on (which i do not like), would there be another setting that lowers the input of the audio?

Duct tape. I'd leave the limiter on though. I think I'm agreeing with you but I've only done very subjective observations, nothing concrete. It seems to me that -12dB should be the default 0 and that you should be able to decrease another 12db from there. This is because with things set to -12 the average normal audio level seems to center around -12 on the scale which is marked as being the optimal recording level with maximum dynamic range. The 0 setting means peaking all the way up to 0 and averages closer to -5 or so. Which is way too high for optimal results. If I was doing a wedding no way would I use on camera mics, I'd use (at the least) the Tascam TM-2X which has a low sensitivity setting. Great sounding mics on it. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009303-REG/tascam_tm_2x_x_y_directional_stereo_condenser.html 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some 12 firmware updates Fstoppers wishes Panasonic would implement. It seems to me that some of his complaints are perfectly reasonable, like wanting to know what ISO the camera is at when on Auto ISO, or wishing that the camera would show the in-camera battery life when the battery grip is attached, but many readers mock him anyway. 1/3 million subscribers, but it appears that half the comments for every video he makes are negative. Another example is, he'd like to have sound recording while recording VFR, and some viewers will say something like, other manufacturers don't offer that. Well, other cameras in this price range don't offer half the features Panasonic stuffs into this marvel of a camera, is that any reason not to wish for more? For what it's worth, they purchased 5 GH5 bodies and he praises the camera no end, but haters will be haters.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Some 12 firmware updates Fstoppers wishes Panasonic would implement. It seems to me that some of his complaints are perfectly reasonable, like wanting to know what ISO the camera is at when on Auto ISO, or wishing that the camera would show the in-camera battery life when the battery grip is attached, but many readers mock him anyway. 1/3 million subscribers, but it appears that half the comments for every video he makes are negative. Another example is, he'd like to have sound recording while recording VFR, and some viewers will say something like, other manufacturers don't offer that. Well, other cameras in this price range don't offer half the features Panasonic stuffs into this marvel of a camera, is that any reason not to wish for more? For what it's worth, they purchased 5 GH5 bodies and he praises the camera no end, but haters will be haters.

Honestly its the Only companny that gave us tools for filmmaking for 2k

i do agree about some aspects 

but honestly Fstopers asking alot 

11 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Looks like better DR on the GH5 and lots more in-camera sharpening on the NX1. I owned the NX1 and it still really holds up well today. Samsung was way ahead of its time with this camera. It's too bad they abandoned this market.

7 hours ago, tihon84 said:

I can send you ae project with gh5 matching 5d3 from this video

Thanks but I don't use AE and to be honest I decided against the GH5 for the time being. I actually just bought another FZ2500 on the cheap. The 5D3 already fills most of what I need in a camera and then for anything quick and dirty, I'll use the high bitrate, all-i, 1080p from the FZ2500.

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks but I don't use AE and to be honest I decided against the GH5 for the time being. I actually just bought another FZ2500 on the cheap. The 5D3 already fills most of what I need in a camera and then for anything quick and dirty, I'll use the high bitrate, all-i, 1080p from the FZ2500.

Ok. I have bmpcc, gh2 and Sony rx10ii. But after i saw files from gh5 i decide to sell all of my cameras. 

RX10ii - really good camera, but i can`t get good colors and it makes me crazy.

bmpcc- IQ is superb but no HFR, bad battery life and monitor. No stab

GH2 - is my old friend. But too old for now :)

GH5 is my next camera i think

18 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Ok. I have bmpcc, gh2 and Sony rx10ii. But after i saw files from gh5 i decide to sell all of my cameras. 

RX10ii - really good camera, but i can`t get good colors and it makes me crazy.

bmpcc- IQ is superb but no HFR, bad battery life and monitor. No stab

GH2 - is my old friend. But too old for now :)

GH5 is my next camera i think

I had a BMPCC and an RX10ii as well. I never had any luck with the two BMPCCs I had... the first one was defective... it got blazingly hot to the touch and the second one I bought on eBay from someone who said it was new but when it arrived, it was definitely used and not worth the price of admission.

The RX10ii I really liked. With the GFilm settings or the Flaat settings, I was getting okay colors but as a whole, the camera just wasn't a perfect fit for me.

The GH5 should be awesome for you and for anybody serious about video. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, but since you obviously aren't one, it should be awesome. I just decided I didn't need two $2000 cameras. Most of the features that intrigued me most about the GH5 are in the FZ2500.

But I don't make a living doing video work, so I guess I kind of have the luxury of trying different cameras every now and again... sometimes out of boredom and sometimes out of need. I hope these two cameras will fulfil my needs for the next year or two. 

On 6/5/2017 at 1:08 AM, Stab said:

I just came back from a wedding shoot with the GH5 and there is one thing that I'm not too happy about. With the GH3 and GH4, I could use the internal mics for the party in the evening. The loud music was picked up pretty well and I didn't disort at all so was useable.

Now, the GH5. I had the audio-input at -12 db which is the lowest setting the camera does and it records fucking LOUD. All clips from the party are heavily distorted like the camera was taped onto the speakers.

Now, other than turning the limiter on (which i do not like), would there be another setting that lowers the input of the audio?

How did you find the GH5 performance at the wedding? What lenses did you use? Lowlight? Focussing?