Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

9 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Great article...it also serves to boggle the mind at the complexity of what happens in a digital camera at such speed, to produce the image, as opposing to a lens allowing an exposure via, in the case of motion, a 180 degree mechanical shutter onto a light sensitive film frame...technology is truly amazing in some areas!!

Yeah it has to be incredible the data that is moved around on these modern Digital Cameras. Scary stuff LoL.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Brother said:

There's only so much fiddling with settings can achieve if the tech isn't quite there in the first place. There's a ton of videos and posts where people explore the autofucus settings of the GH5 and everyone pretty much comes to the same conclusion. Sure, there's a sweetspot for AF usage but at that sweetspot the autofocus is still no way near the competition.

I really like the GH5 but if i ever needed good reliable AF on a paid job where retakes might not be possible i would leave the GH5 at home.

Anyways, my car can be unable to beat a Ferrari, but if it takes me to wherever the Ferrari or any other takes me, I can still drive it without much further complaints.

No GH5 here yet, but seems pretty enough this AF performance or tap to focus workaround (without mention the focus pulling feature!):

And please don't tell me touchscreen focus is not a valid solution because it is perhaps the best AF way to ever select... AF.

In any camera for any setup. Our brain is surely brighter to handle the job than a machine. Period.

Here's another example that I am not alone on this one:

42 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Anyways, my car can be unable to beat a Ferrari, but if it takes me to wherever the Ferrari or any other takes me, I can still drive it without much further complaints.

No GH5 here yet, but seems pretty enough this AF performance or tap to focus workaround (without mention the focus pulling feature!):

And please don't tell me touchscreen focus is not a valid solution because it is perhaps the best AF way to ever select... AF.

In any camera for any setup. Our brain is surely brighter to handle the job than a machine. Period.

Here's another example that I am not alone on this one:

"tap to focus workaround" and "focus pulling feature" is not the same as reliable CAF. I'm not saying touchscreen autofocus is a bad thing, but for every shot every time? Come on man... What about gimbal and steadicam shots, are you going to press the screen a few times every second?

We have different views on what would be acceptable performance on a paid gig, that's all.

1 hour ago, Brother said:

"tap to focus workaround" and "focus pulling feature" is not the same as reliable CAF. I'm not saying touchscreen autofocus is a bad thing, but for every shot every time? Come on man... What about gimbal and steadicam shots, are you going to press the screen a few times every second?

We have different views on what would be acceptable performance on a paid gig, that's all.

For sure. My paid gigs normally use manual focus and focus puller 100% of the time, so focus pulling feature seems more appealing to me than a machine making the decisions on the operator's behalf.

In any case, it is rather possible to use touchscreen focus for gimbal shots. Mobile app can also be of a great help.

To me, this AF minus is absolutely nonsense. I never put my hands on one yet, but I am pretty sure this camera is able to produce proper AF if the operator knows to workaround eventual limitations.

On the other hand, show me 4K/60p coupled to CAF for same price and size.

I guess I wouldn't even consider the AF ticket anyway. Tap to focus is much more reliable.

Horses for courses? To each his/her own? We can't all of us be stuck in the same yellow color, oh yeah :-)

24 minutes ago, Brother said:

Except when there's no other way than autofocus on a piad gig. Other than that, agreed :) 

There are obviously countless distinct paid gigs. Where AF can be much more useful than only MF, focus pulling and so on. Not even less PRO-like because of that. A wedding shooter, as for instance, is as much professional as a feature film focus puller. Well, if both paid ; )

The point is the fact GH5 has no bad AF.

Imagine a pretty woman with a difficult temper. My best second half, for example. Speaking literally : )

I won't dismiss her because the situation requires much much harder work from me... ;-)

I bet handling the GH5 AF system will be easier, after all :-D

23 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

There are obviously countless distinct paid gigs. Where AF can be much more useful than only MF, focus pulling and so on. Not even less PRO-like because of that. A wedding shooter, as for instance, is as much professional as a feature film focus puller. Well, if both paid ; )

The point is the fact GH5 has no bad AF.

Imagine a pretty woman with a difficult temper. My best second half, for example. Speaking literally : )

I won't dismiss her because the situation requires much much harder work from me... ;-)

I bet handling the GH5 AF system will be easier, after all :-D

Agree to disagree about the GH5 autofocus then :) But in the end, what do i know? I take others words for it since i don't use it myself. Panasonic released a statement saying they're working on improving the autofocus so i might give it a go in the future.

10 minutes ago, Brother said:

Agree to disagree about the GH5 autofocus then :) But in the end, what do i know? I take others words for it since i don't use it myself. Panasonic released a statement saying they're working on improving the autofocus so i might give it a go in the future.

There's surely room to improve it. I just think there's use for the camera AF as it is now.

GH5 AF looks like very interesting beyond the appearances.

More than the reverse hype.

IMHO, Max Yuryev's fault. Photo Joseph's too.

Can't understand how Panasonic has swallowed such loss. To my book, there is lot of work to do and clean the house inside the brand.

Jan (Livingston) is retired now. Barry Green is out of office. Poor camera maker.

@Emanuel wait a minute... you don't even own a GH5 yet? Or did I misread that comment a few up?

But to add to the discussion, when I owned the FZ2500, single point touch af worked a lot better than I though it would. If you are a one man band operator and use only native lenses, it may work better than some of the weird focus rings on m4/3 lenses... I know I liked it better than the manual ring on the FZ2500... and that manual ring wasn't the worse I've ever used. 

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

@Emanuel wait a minute... you don't even own a GH5 yet? Or did I misread that comment a few up?

Right. No camera yet. All that comes from the videos I've seen and my own experience with other cameras and also the former models to second the thing : ) Trust me, GH5 is the best bang for the buck you can buy in May 2017 :-)

6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Right. No camera yet. All that comes from the videos I've seen and my own experience with other cameras and also the former models to second the thing : ) Trust me, GH5 is the best bang for the buck you can buy in May 2017 :-)

No offense, but as defensive as you have been about the GH5, I just figured you owned one... but you're right, unless you want to shoot Raw, the GH5 seems to be the best bang for the buck. My only issue with it is that I have seen a complete mix of amazing footage or horrendous footage. Not much in between. 

21 minutes ago, mercer said:

No offense, but as defensive as you have been about the GH5, I just figured you owned one... but you're right, unless you want to shoot Raw, the GH5 seems to be the best bang for the buck. My only issue with it is I have seen a complete mix of amazing footage or horrendous footage. Not much in between. 

You're absolutely right. Same feeling here. You know, people think they are able to mimic Hollywood straight out of the box ; )

I share Dennis' (@deezid) perspective, though, not as much skeptical as him.

My only beef with GH5 is not the pathetic plot over AF, obviously. But, its over processed outcome; POV I concur.

See:

And:

I still believe this camera is able to produce the best current offer in competent hands.

10 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

You're absolutely right. Same feeling here. You know, people think they are able to mimic Hollywood straight out of the box ; )

I share Dennis' (@deezid) perspective, though, not as much skeptical as him.

My only beef with GH5 is not the pathetic plot over AF, obviously. But, its over processed outcome; POV I concur.

See:

And:

I still believe this camera is able to produce the best current offer in competent hands.

The GH5 has been a major roller coaster for me... I went from no interest, to a lot of interest, to no interest after seeing the early videos compared to 5D3 ML Raw, to a little interest this week due to the features. As of today I am unsure if I will get one or not. I have almost hit Buy it Now twice but then I watch my 5D3 footage and think... do I really need a GH5? Both times, the answer has been no and this is coming from a place where the features would be a godsend for my next short. So, I am still up in the air. The features I am most excited about, I can get with the FZ2500 for half the price and if I want 4K, I am more interested in the D7500 for almost half the price as well... but I am still on the fence because I know the GH5 will be a workhorse for those short films that I don't want to bother with ML Raw post workflow. 

1 hour ago, Brother said:

Except when there's no other way than autofocus on a piad gig. Other than that, agreed :) 

You have no AF in slow mo mode, and I suppose you'll need slow mo on a paid gig.

So what is this still ongoing AF discussion about?

Most of the people complaining about AF never even truly used AF before. They just want the canon dual pixel and the A6500 AF technology in the GH5. It was written down thousand times in this forum, pick the right camera for the right job ;)

20 minutes ago, mercer said:

The GH5 has been a major roller coaster for me... I went from no interest, to a lot of interest, to no interest after seeing the early videos compared to 5D3 ML Raw, to a little interest this week due to the features. As of today I am unsure if I will get one or not. I have almost hit Buy it Now twice but then I watch my 5D3 footage and think... do I really need a GH5? Both times, the answer has been no and this is coming from a place where the features would be a godsend for my next short. So, I am still up in the air. The features I am most excited about, I can get with the FZ2500 for half the price and if I want 4K, I am more interested in the D7500 for almost half the price as well... but I am still on the fence because I know the GH5 will be a workhorse for those short films that I don't want to bother with ML Raw post workflow. 

Indeed. 5D3 ML raw is hard to beat up ; ) You'll gain IBIS, 4K/60p, though. Without going to 8-bit for such form factor. I believe with the right setup and competent settings, this capture device can shine where your money sits as finest choice.

8 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

You have no AF in slow mo mode, and I suppose you'll need slow mo on a paid gig.

So what is this still ongoing AF discussion about?

Most of the people complaining about AF never even truly used AF before. They just want the canon dual pixel and the A6500 AF technology in the GH5. It was written down thousand times in this forum, pick the right camera for the right job ;)

AF is a mantra. Those shitty bastards have decided to set AF on 4K/60p, so people have started to freak out :-D

You spotted it.

Needless to say Hollywood is a process (no less) ?

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed. 5D3 ML raw is hard to beat up ; ) You'll gain IBIS, 4K/60p, though. Without going to 8-bit for such form factor. I believe with the right setup and competent settings, this capture device can shine where your money sits as finest choice.

AF is a mantra. Those shitty bastards have decided to set AF on 4K/60p, so people have started to freak out :-)

I agree, features to price ratio, the GH5 is a great camera. And if I were to use one for paid jobs, it would be a no brainer... I'd imagine 3 or 4 small jobs would pay it off, but I don't do paid jobs... I'm a screenwriter looking for another outlet to showcase my writing. It's very unlikely I will ever do a paid job with it, so I have to be more cautious with my selections... especially since I tested about a dozen cameras and fifty lenses in the past couple of years. 

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I agree, features to price ratio, the GH5 is a great camera. And if I were to use one for paid jobs, it would be a no brainer... I'd imagine 3 or 4 small jobs would pay it off, but I don't do paid jobs... I'm a screenwriter looking for another outlet to showcase my writing. It's very unlikely I will ever do a paid job with it, so I have to be more cautious with my selections... especially since I tested about a dozen cameras and fifty lenses in the past couple of years. 

Every camera is able to produce the job. DR and highlights are not the major bonus of the GH5. Other than that, it is able to get the task done.

Take a look on this one here:

I bet you'll find it interesting to narrative work. No idea if matches your writing though :-)

PS -- Funny, I've just checked you had been already there, after all. So, seems I somehow guessed it : ))