Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@AaronChicago looks great! Definetly show the final video when it's ready.

How did you like SLR Magic Anamorphic primes? And did you use all three of them (35, 50 and 70)?

Did you have 10bit update already in gh5 for Anamoprhic mode and did you shoot in V-log mode?

--

I am still waiting for my V-log update and in end of this month going to shoot with GH5 + FM-lens with Kowa inside. As taking lenses I think I am going russian way. Some 50mm macro lens, Helios 58mm, Jupiter 85mm and Tair 135mm.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Thanks Brother, without owning one, I agree with most of your points. I wish there was more CineLikeD and Natural examples floating around... just because a camera shoots VLog doesn't mean everybody needs it.

I recently bought a 5D3 and am ecstatic with it... it really is something else but it does lack any quick post workflow. For right now I am happy with what I have, but I have a few possible upcoming shorts that will require a quicker turnaround with cheaper media and 4K 60p and these honest reviews help me make a choice.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

Thanks for posting this. As much as I don't care about 4K, the 4K 60p is pretty impressive and the other features are great as well. But the 5-axis ibis from the GX85 has really spoiled me. It's amazing how many composition options you have, when you're not hindered by a tripod.

Mercer, as good as the IBIS was in the G85 (I had it), the GH5's IBIS is even better. I'm not sure if actual physical changes were made to the IBIS or whether it's simply the fact that a larger camera is easier to hold steady. Either way, the IBIS is an incredible pleasure for hand-holding stability.

14 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Mercer, as good as the IBIS was in the G85 (I had it), the GH5's IBIS is even better. I'm not sure if actual physical changes were made to the IBIS or whether it's simply the fact that a larger camera is easier to hold steady. Either way, the IBIS is an incredible pleasure for hand-holding stability.

Ugh, I predict less money in my bank account by summer. 

8 hours ago, Borbarad said:

. Also the 6k Photo mode is very useful.

And one of the most underrated points of the GH5 is the heavily improved image quality and colors. 

So, I really like the GH5 - it's a massive improvement from the GH4 in stills and movie.

I would think yes the 6k photo mode might be one of the main reasons I would get one myself. I do like to do birding photos and video of them. And yes I also see a big improvement in the image quality and the colors from peoples videos. Nice.

But not sure if the Olympus EM1 mkII might even be better for birding?? I had a EMI, that was a heck of a camera. But I would hate to give up the Video capabilities of the GH5. So probably would not buy a EM1 mkII.

53 minutes ago, Teemu said:

@AaronChicago looks great! Definetly show the final video when it's ready.

How did you like SLR Magic Anamorphic primes? And did you use all three of them (35, 50 and 70)?

Did you have 10bit update already in gh5 for Anamoprhic mode and did you shoot in V-log mode?

--

I am still waiting for my V-log update and in end of this month going to shoot with GH5 + FM-lens with Kowa inside. As taking lenses I think I am going russian way. Some 50mm macro lens, Helios 58mm, Jupiter 85mm and Tair 135mm.

Thanks. I loved the SLR primes. I used the 35 and 50. I tried to keep them at T4-T5.6 b/c they get a little soft and muddy under T4.

I didn't realize that they updated anamorphic to 10 bit. I believe I shot it on 8 bit 150m. I did use V Log.

19 hours ago, Brother said:

(...)

Edit. Forgot to mention something about the autofocus. Personally I don't use it but sure, it would have been nice to have. If you need world class leading autofocus during video recording then look elsewhere. Panasonic might fix it with firmware, or not. 

This last paragraph recalls this video here (and that meaningful statement pronounced on minute 1:27):

What about to take that thing of settings seriously?

I doubt he may find the same outcome going with sharpness dialed at the lowest end of the range, as for instance.

Actually, taking appearances seriously instead (see minute 1:22 for example and those ugly shadows in the wall as merely from bad lighting) can be an illusive bitch to the eyes BTW...

There should surely be sweet spots for AF usage, as well.

The signs are out there: it is just the way to follow them. Straight out of the box? Hard to find their miracles.

Does the GH5 minimum shutter speed and auto iso range/limiter settings work when shooting video?

Does the AFS with half shutter work in 6k photo? manual says no, odd.

Can I adjust contrast, saturation, sharpness and Nr (image adjustmets) with FN-button without searching/digging menus?

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

This last paragraph recalls this video here (and that meaningful statement pronounced on minute 1:27):

I doubt he may find the same outcome going with sharpness dialed at the lowest end of the range, as for instance.

Actually, taking appearances seriously instead (see minute 1:22 for example and those ugly shadows in the wall as merely from bad lighting) can be an illusive bitch to the eyes BTW...

The signs are out there: it is just the way to follow them. Straight out of the box? Hard to find their miracles.

Wow that video sure did have some ugly Moire, and he has a eh,eh Long Legged wife! Is Moire really that bad?? That would be a total deal breaker if you do fashion, or architectural work.

17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that video sure did have some ugly Moire, and he has a eh,eh Long Legged wife! Is Moire really that bad?? That would be a total deal breaker if you do fashion, or architectural work.

Don, that would be a deal breaker practically in any circumstance other than home videos, but actually...

...the devil is in the settings ;-)

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I've never seen moire as bad with the GH5 as he shows in his video, but I shoot only 4K. Something seems odd though in his video. Toward the end he shoot in 4K50p, and the stutter as he pans is really bad. I'm not sure why that should be, it should present smoother motion. Who knows what transcoding errors he's done too and the video was only uploaded in HD for some reason. Considering my experience with this as pretty much a non-issue, and the rarity of others complaining about it, I don't put a whole of credence in this.

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

No, webrunner, it's not as bad as he shows. Otherwise we'd be hearing rants all over the internet. It would be right up there with the AF. ;)

54 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I've never seen moire as bad with the GH5 as he shows in his video, but I shoot only 4K. Something seems odd though in his video. Toward the end he shoot in 4K50p, and the stutter as he pans is really bad. I'm not sure why that should be, it should present smoother motion. Who knows what transcoding errors he's done too and the video was only uploaded in HD for some reason. Considering my experience with this as pretty much a non-issue, and the rarity of others complaining about it, I don't put a whole of credence in this.

No, webrunner, it's not as bad as he shows. Otherwise we'd be hearing rants all over the internet. It would be right up there with the AF. ;)

Ken, but can anyone take that guy for serious? ; )

1) What sharpness settings to begin with?

2) Most part of his footage is HFR 1080p;

3) YT comments disabled;

4) Look the way he shows off the wife...

As much as his clueless lighting and hablando del rey de Roma, things really require much more effort (I'd dare to add my comment as inferred above-posted).

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I would think yes the 6k photo mode might be one of the main reasons I would get one myself. I do like to do birding photos and video of them. And yes I also see a big improvement in the image quality and the colors from peoples videos. Nice.

But not sure if the Olympus EM1 mkII might even be better for birding?? I had a EMI, that was a heck of a camera. But I would hate to give up the Video capabilities of the GH5. So probably would not buy a EM1 mkII.

The EM1 MKII is better for sure, but the GH5 narrowed that gap by a large chunk so that from an overall perspective you're better off with the GH5. And I've been a longtime Olympus user ( since the E1)

B

9 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

That is among the ugliest footage I've seen from any camera online - who cares what this guy thinks, he can't even shoot.

On 1.5.2017 at 11:22 PM, mercer said:

So, now that the GH5 has been out for over a month, what is the verdict from the early adopters? I have heard so many mixed reviews and have seen a lot of videos from people saying they are returning their GH5, I am curious to know from the EOS HD community. BH has even had a half dozen used GH5s for sale and they are still selling it for preorder? It's actually rather strange that one of the biggest camera stores in the world hasn't gotten any GH5s in stock, but that's neither here nor there.

Part of me wants to buy one and the other part says... meh ML Raw looks way better. If the GH5 was selling for $1500 or $1600, I probably would buy one, but at $2000... I'm not so sure, even though I have an upcoming short that it would be perfect for. 

The color is similar to the GX85 and G85, but with Cine D and V-log it's better I think. I need to shoot more but for now I'm very pleased with the results I've been getting with 10-bit 25p v-log. In post I use the Leeming lut as base and grade from there. Grading from scratch is doable and a nice way to get better at grading. 

The camera is very much as I expected, a big upgrade from the GH4 with all the new features from the GX85/G85 and more. It's not going to compete with BM, Canon and Sony for DR, RAW, low light etc, but who was really expecting that? It's an amazing camera for the money, but you can get better images less money (I know you know that).

If you don't plan to shoot v-log, 4K 60p, anamorphic or slow motion I would probably recommend the G85 for less than half the price.  

It's more power hungry though, so you need at least 2 batteries.

Note that I shoot with Panasonic cameras because the image is good enough for me and I think it's the most complete system for my needs: reliability, price, size, weight, ergonomics, lens choice etc.