Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, eltorrete said:

I remember that there were already reported problems with lexa's cards in Samsung NX1.

In my GH5 the lag occurs when the recording stops, it takes about 2 or 3 seconds to stop after pressing the button.

Yes, that I've gotten. There is sometimes a lag after stopping a recording. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, scotchtape said:

No one else is eperiencing the recording lag? Press record, camera takes like 8seconds before starting recording?

Using 2x lexar 128gb 1000x for dual card writing.

Happens occasionally, a few times a day.

This happens to me on the G85 - it's only with the lexar x1000 128gb card, all other cards work fine but they're not UHS-2 like the lexar.

Hi there,

I just got my GH5 an looking at the sensor with the lens cap off I notice a tiny smudge/blotch or similar on the lower middle part of the sensor.  After inspecting pictures I can't see anything on the output itself.

Does anyone know what this is, or if there GH5 has the same?  I attached a picture of the smudge as well...

Hopefully someone can provide some insight, moreover everyone has the same, I really can't return the camera right now!   ;-)

gh5_sensor.jpg

A while ago I purchased a sensor loupe....they are handy tools to have when you shoot with digital cameras...it both illuminates and magnifies the sensor, so that no other light source can be mistaken for a mark/dust on the sensor....they run about $25 and as with lenses, there is material on google as to how to properly clean a sensor...shoot a panning clip of a white wall and if you don't see a speck moving across the wall on your computer screen and you can't return the camera, you're probably fine with it...if you can see it in your footage I would of course return it if I was you.

I don't know if this video has been shown on here. Pretty impressive focus on it I think. If so delete it Jon, speaking of Jon I have not seen you for a few days? You OK?

Something to think about here. This is on the DVXuser.com site talking about the new who knows Panasonic camera coming out. It makes sense if you are shooting in 24fps like a lot of us do on here. Barry Green is a whiz on this stuff. He was Very involved in the AF100 thingy. He was like a Panny consultant or something like that.

Barry_Green

Sep 2003

Yesterday 05:22 PM    

Originally Posted by NorBro

Even back in the DVX100 days, the camera used to hunt in 24p or it wouldn't lock correctly.

Barry Green once explained to me why (answered my post), but I don't remember what he said.

Barry Green reply:

"Back in the days of the DVX100, autofocus wasn't even ENABLED in 24p! Why? Because its performance was awful. Because, when shooting 24p, the system is fed updates more slowly, so it responds more slowly, and is more prone to "miss" the sharpest point because it doesn't get feedback as often.

We complained, so they enabled autofocus in the DVX100A -- and called it "focus assist" mode, because they didn't want to call it true autofocus, because it could not be up to their standards.

Autofocus will always work better in 60p/60i than it will in 24p, always. More frequent updates results in more information being sent to the system for processing."

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't know if this video has been shown on here. Pretty impressive focus on it I think. If so delete it Jon, speaking of Jon I have not seen you for a few days? You OK?

I've been in a state of depression the past few days, the wifi here is driving me nuts, I've been trying for the past four days to upload my comparison between the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but the Internet is so slow. I've gone to a bunch of coffee shops, but no success. So I got the brilliant idea to vlog about my internet woes, but I can't even upload that.

The AF even in that video compared to the Sony stuff shows it's still pretty behind.  Maybe if they tweak the algorithms a bit they can improve it.  The Sony is really smooth whereas the Panny stuff is kind of abrupt, especially when it does the in and out when it finds focus.  The Sony of course is not god like all the time, especially at night, but when it works, it works so well you don't even notice it, whereas with the Panasonic you can tell the camera is doing something.

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

I've been in a state of depression the past few days, the wifi here is driving me nuts, I've been trying for the past four days to upload my comparison between the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but the Internet is so slow. I've gone to a bunch of coffee shops, but no success. So I got the brilliant idea to vlog about my internet woes, but I can't even upload that.

I'm sorry to hear that, Jon! No 4G cell phone carriers there?

All the best,

E :-)

7 hours ago, scotchtape said:

The AF even in that video compared to the Sony stuff shows it's still pretty behind.  Maybe if they tweak the algorithms a bit they can improve it.  The Sony is really smooth whereas the Panny stuff is kind of abrupt, especially when it does the in and out when it finds focus.  The Sony of course is not god like all the time, especially at night, but when it works, it works so well you don't even notice it, whereas with the Panasonic you can tell the camera is doing something.

4 hours ago, Vesku said:

Is the GH5  video AFC good enough for taking 6k photos of moving subjects? AFC in photo mode is very fast but 6k phot uses video AFC.

Here's the thread on topic:

From the GH5 AF complex system, I wouldn't find that even a trouble. There are workarounds, as possible to check it out. Just find them out.

:-)

I've realised that all the clips have one small problem. The first 0.5 sec or so of the clips have no audio. 

I have recorded the clips with an external mic attached to the cam (Shure Lenshopper).

Does anyone else has this problem also? Or is this fixed already with the new firmware update?

So, now that the GH5 has been out for over a month, what is the verdict from the early adopters? I have heard so many mixed reviews and have seen a lot of videos from people saying they are returning their GH5, I am curious to know from the EOS HD community. BH has even had a half dozen used GH5s for sale and they are still selling it for preorder? It's actually rather strange that one of the biggest camera stores in the world hasn't gotten any GH5s in stock, but that's neither here nor there.

Part of me wants to buy one and the other part says... meh ML Raw looks way better. If the GH5 was selling for $1500 or $1600, I probably would buy one, but at $2000... I'm not so sure, even though I have an upcoming short that it would be perfect for. 

34 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, now that the GH5 has been out for over a month, what is the verdict from the early adopters? I have heard so many mixed reviews and have seen a lot of videos from people saying they are returning their GH5, I am curious to know from the EOS HD community. BH has even had a half dozen used GH5s for sale and they are still selling it for preorder? It's actually rather strange that one of the biggest camera stores in the world hasn't gotten any GH5s in stock, but that's neither here nor there.

Part of me wants to buy one and the other part says... meh ML Raw looks way better. If the GH5 was selling for $1500 or $1600, I probably would buy one, but at $2000... I'm not so sure, even though I have an upcoming short that it would be perfect for. 

People had way to high expectations about this camera, not only because the hype Panasonic started but because of rumor sites and potential buyers upping the hype.

10bit 422 is great but it's not some magical feature that will make everything you shoot look like Alexa footage. Messing up on 10 bit will hurt almost as much as messing up on 8 bit. Future 400 Mbps update not considered. 

Judging the camera for what it is, my first impressions are great. Im sure it's going to be a real workhorse just like the GH4 is. 

Edit. Forgot to mention something about the autofocus. Personally I don't use it but sure, it would have been nice to have. If you need world class leading autofocus during video recording then look elsewhere. Panasonic might fix it with firmware, or not. 

When I briefly had the FZ2500, I loved the quick/slow function... does the GH5 have that? And if so, does it work in 4K?

Here's a dumb, slow motion, test video I did with FZ2500... would look a lot better in 4K...

Also the slow motion in that video was all shot in variable frame rate mode if it wasn't the slow/quick mode. Does variable frame rate work in 4K?

1 hour ago, Brother said:

Edit. Forgot to mention something about the autofocus. Personally I don't use it but sure, it would have been nice to have. If you need world class leading autofocus during video recording then look elsewhere. Panasonic might fix it with firmware, or not. 

Have been looking a bit closer at some of these reviewers using the C300ii, rx100, and a6500. They go oof a lot or pulse horribly so I'm not convinced "world class" has all the boxes ticked. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

When I briefly had the FZ2500, I loved the quick/slow function... does the GH5 have that? And if so, does it work in 4K?

Here's a dumb, slow motion, test video I did with FZ2500... would look a lot better in 4K...

Also the slow motion in that video was all shot in variable frame rate mode if it wasn't the slow/quick mode. Does variable frame rate work in 4K?

I was watching that with headphones on.

I'm sending you an invoice for some new underpants.

Jesus Stop that shit. I am 70 years old. I almost had a heart attack, the hell with your underware!!

26 minutes ago, mercer said:

Not to mention, after 4 years why hasn't BM lowered the price of the Pocket? 

Truth be known they are probably still selling the heck out of them yet. Still nothing that can touch them in raw new or used for well, I was going to say twice the money, but there is this sort of New thing called a ML 5D mkIII that Canon nerfed the living hell out of.

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Well it depends really...

I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos but most of them aren't good apart from the likes of Neumannfilms or setup videos.

I have the GH5 and I think it's the best m4/3 and one of the best hybrids. Is it great a blogging? Probably not as AF is the most important part ( and not IQ). But if you like more the documentary style it's amazing. Versatile, small, lots of functions and feature, great IQ and excellent handling.

Also in stills it's a great camera. I used the GH4 before and it sucked in stills due to the horrible AF. Now the GH5 is a relief, nearly as good as the EM1 MKII and with the 300mm F4 you're now able to successful catch birds in flight. Also the 6k Photo mode is very useful.

And one of the most underrated points of the GH5 is the heavily improved image quality and colors. 

So, I really like the GH5 - it's a massive improvement from the GH4 in stills and movie.

B

15 hours ago, Brother said:

People had way to high expectations about this camera, not only because the hype Panasonic started but because of rumor sites and potential buyers upping the hype.

10bit 422 is great but it's not some magical feature that will make everything you shoot look like Alexa footage. Messing up on 10 bit will hurt almost as much as messing up on 8 bit. Future 400 Mbps update not considered. 

Judging the camera for what it is, my first impressions are great. Im sure it's going to be a real workhorse just like the GH4 is. 

Thanks Brother, without owning one, I agree with most of your points. I wish there was more CineLikeD and Natural examples floating around... just because a camera shoots VLog doesn't mean everybody needs it.

I recently bought a 5D3 and am ecstatic with it... it really is something else but it does lack any quick post workflow. For right now I am happy with what I have, but I have a few possible upcoming shorts that will require a quicker turnaround with cheaper media and 4K 60p and these honest reviews help me make a choice.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

6 hours ago, Borbarad said:

Well it depends really...

I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos but most of them aren't good apart from the likes of Neumannfilms or setup videos.

I have the GH5 and I think it's the best m4/3 and one of the best hybrids. Is it great a blogging? Probably not as AF is the most important part ( and not IQ). But if you like more the documentary style it's amazing. Versatile, small, lots of functions and feature, great IQ and excellent handling.

Also in stills it's a great camera. I used the GH4 before and it sucked in stills due to the horrible AF. Now the GH5 is a relief, nearly as good as the EM1 MKII and with the 300mm F4 you're now able to successful catch birds in flight. Also the 6k Photo mode is very useful.

And one of the most underrated points of the GH5 is the heavily improved image quality and colors. 

So, I really like the GH5 - it's a massive improvement from the GH4 in stills and movie.

B

Thanks for posting this. As much as I don't care about 4K, the 4K 60p is pretty impressive and the other features are great as well. But the 5-axis ibis from the GX85 has really spoiled me. It's amazing how many composition options you have, when you're not hindered by a tripod.