Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, Orangenz said:

What platform? It does get confused if I operate the camera while controlling it remotely but otherwise super fast and responsive. Did my moon photos using it. Also the speed when reviewing photos or video is full wifi speed, full res playback of images and video without any lag or waiting whatsoever. I was very impressed. I use a Oneplus3T Android so 1) connected the phone to the GH5 wifi, 2) turned the app on and it connects straight away, then 3) I enabled screencast which connected the phone to the microsoft wireless adaptor on the TV. So was then able to go through the photos and videos with all the families at once on the big tv. All without hitch or wires. Very cool. Very easy to skip 40 photos when I had pressed on the shutter for 3 seconds rather than have to view every one. Also connected to the TV via the full size hdmi socket (which rather surprised the techies there who had said oo sorry we don't have a small hdmi adaptor). I didn't try the app in that config though. 

yes, that's what I mean, when I'm operating the camera remotely, and tap to focus, it sometimes freezes, or takes a while to react.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone measured the (useable) dynamic range of the GH5 in video mode yet? Preferably with Cinelike-D?

My non-scientific tests show not that much difference with the GH3 and GH4. It is cleaner at higher ISO's and more gradable for sure, but at low ISO's it doesn't look much different. Anyone who has more insight about this? DXOmark hasn't tested this camera yet :)

On 4/21/2017 at 2:54 AM, jonpais said:

One of the most sensible reviews I've seen so far.

For me, one of the most interesting points they made was something I've experienced in going from the FF A7Rii to the GH5, and you rarely hear people talk about. I always said I saw more of a difference in stills between those 2 cameras than video, as a result of the different sensor size.

They made the distinction that this sized sensor is absolutely fine for video, but they see the advantages in a larger, FF sensor, for stills. I can definitely see that, but since I don't take a ton of stills, the GH5 is more than good enough for my purposes.

5 hours ago, Cinegain said:

First Casey, now for the next! Will the GH5 be the new T2i?

Should I be surprised ? No I love the GH5. With the new AF Fix ( how to set it up) it's amazing but even before it was great. As a Hybrid, Panasonic fixed everything the GH4 wasn't really good at. The CAF in still is a blessing now! Can use my 300mm now .....

B

40 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

The thing not really mentioned often enough in this thread, as that is really what it's all about, in this or any camera, is the image quality...I have to say I was expecting a good image...Panasonic completely surpassed my expectations with the image out of the GH5!

Really seeing the same. Some lovely stuff and it´s an unique color signature as well. One thing, about this popular vlogger besides Casey-

what is so exiting about his vlogs? I find Caseys vids fun and joyful and full of positivity. The "other" guys videos, on the contraray,

didnt connect with me yet.

16 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

For me, one of the most interesting points they made was something I've experienced in going from the FF A7Rii to the GH5, and you rarely hear people talk about. I always said I saw more of a difference in stills between those 2 cameras than video, as a result of the different sensor size.

They made the distinction that this sized sensor is absolutely fine for video, but they see the advantages in a larger, FF sensor, for stills. I can definitely see that, but since I don't take a ton of stills, the GH5 is more than good enough for my purposes.

I'm more photos than video but the FF equivalent of the 100-400 kinda scares me.. Whenever I think about larger sensors I get stuck on that point. Even the Canon 70-200mm IS USM II scares me, a lot. 

Nothing to be scared about in my opinion. I love the 100-400 lens and in combination with the GH4 it is a dream. Excellent stabilization and also the AF in photo mode is extremly fast. I use it with back button focussing and am really happy with the combination. 

4 hours ago, AKED-M said:

Nothing to be scared about in my opinion. I love the 100-400 lens and in combination with the GH4 it is a dream. Excellent stabilization and also the AF in photo mode is extremly fast. I use it with back button focussing and am really happy with the combination. 

And that's something that can't be overlooked, the stabilization. The IBIS in the Sonys, including the A6500 & A7Rii, IMO, just suck. I see the same jitter than I had with OIS lenses and no IBIS on my A6300. The GH5 is just a dream for hand-holding.

5 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I'm more photos than video but the FF equivalent of the 100-400 kinda scares me.. Whenever I think about larger sensors I get stuck on that point. Even the Canon 70-200mm IS USM II scares me, a lot. 

I think the workaround for this if I'm interpreting your post correctly, is that when you shoot on very long lenses you can put the GH5 on a much lighter tripod than one would normally get away with, and the IBIS will then deal with things like wind etc. on a long large lens...or is it concern about the smaller sensor you're talking about?...

28 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

And that's something that can't be overlooked, the stabilization. The IBIS in the Sonys, including the A6500 & A7Rii, IMO, just suck. I see the same jitter than I had with OIS lenses and no IBIS on my A6300. The GH5 is just a dream for hand-holding.

Even on a 400mm long lens in video...can you make it look locked off...especially in wind...I'm only asking about a few seconds and no camera movement like panning or tilting...or does panning help on a long lens....is it possible to actually replicate a locked off shot?

5 hours ago, AKED-M said:

Actually I ment the 100-400 in combination with the GH5. 

8 minutes ago, buggz said:

The old film school trick for long lens use was to use sandbags ON TOP of the lens at the camera connection point.

This has worked pretty good for me in moderate windy conditions.

+1!!!...but I'm wondering if the IBIS is good enough on the GH5,  that one can replicate a weighted locked off shot in reasonable  wind on a long lens using either only a light travel tripod or monopod...or even just handheld?...my interest in IBIS is not replicating a steady cam or stabilizer, but a heavy duty tripod....with a monopod there would still be movement if it's windy, but my hope is the IBIS could deal with that adequately....or say a small slider shot by merely moving the camera on a smooth service (say a wooden floor) from left to right, by dragging the monopod across the ground, thereby keeping the vertical distance the same...for say 18 to 24 inches....

5 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I think the workaround for this if I'm interpreting your post correctly, is that when you shoot on very long lenses you can put the GH5 on a much lighter tripod than one would normally get away with, and the IBIS will then deal with things like wind etc. on a long large lens...or is it concern about the smaller sensor you're talking about?...

Even on a 400mm long lens in video...can you make it look locked off...especially in wind...I'm only asking about a few seconds and no camera movement like panning or tilting...or does panning help on a long lens....is it possible to actually replicate a locked off shot?

Fritz, the closest I can come to that is the 14-140, which would give it a 280mm equivalent. Add on the 1.4 ETC, and you have nearly 400mm. I have successfully hand held at that focal length and it's indeed very steady. Locked off? Not sure I'd go that far, but steadier than you'd think you could hold that equivalent focal length.

9 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Well I think Aked understood it wrong too, so my fault for the convoluted description. I just mean to say that the telephoto lenses on the FF cameras are too heavy for my liking. If I can't get it all in the bag I have at a certain weight I'm just not interested. Even the Oly300 is too much. 

As for full zoom video shots on tripod in gusty wind. I really tried to stabilise it but it's very tricky. And warpstab in post made things flicker. I think I could get a lot better but it would be easier if it was calm, for sure! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjUo5s6saU