Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I guess it depends what you plan to do with it. But it's really hard to take a video seriously when the lighting, focus, and composition (directly against a brick wall) are so awful. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

It does look like a public access show shot in the basement of a college building. Still, I'm not seeing the jump in image quality I thought we would get with 10bit, and it's hard to say if the camera is worth it if that's what interests you until the firmware comes out. It could almost be like a different camera.

Just now, Hanriverprod said:

It does look like a public access show shot in the basement of a college building. Still, I'm not seeing the jump in image quality I thought we would get with 10bit, and it's hard to say if the camera is worth it if that's what interests you until the firmware comes out. It could almost be like a different camera.

For many of the videos I've seen where they're just shooting family occasions, the GH5 is definitely overkill, a GX85 or G85 would be more than enough. Likewise for vlogging. On a good day, I can get better color out of my G85 than most of the videos I've seen shot with the GH5. And that's without any color correction.

Just now, jonpais said:

For many of the videos I've seen where they're just shooting family occasions, the GH5 is definitely overkill, a GX85 or G85 would be more than enough. Likewise for vlogging. On a good day, I can get better color out of my G85 than most of the videos I've seen shot with the GH5. And that's without any color correction.

I agree. I actually think some of the vlogs I see from the gx85 or g85 is easily comparable. The stuff I see where people are pushing the image off of the gh5 does not look great or that much better than the gh4. I just don't see it yet. Again, I'm hoping the new firmware makes the image richer and closer to what we see with raw images these days in cameras that are cheaper or else I think v-log is still problematic for most situations and amateurs and like you're saying the g85 and gx85 is more than enough camera for those shooters.

1 minute ago, Hanriverprod said:

I agree. I actually think some of the vlogs I see from the gx85 or g85 is easily comparable. The stuff I see where people are pushing the image off of the gh5 does not look great or that much better than the gh4. I just don't see it yet. Again, I'm hoping the new firmware makes the image richer and closer to what we see with raw images these days in cameras that are cheaper or else I think v-log is still problematic for most situations and amateurs and like you're saying the g85 and gx85 is more than enough camera for those shooters.

A couple shots I did this morning with the G85, Cinelike D, straight out of the camera, no color correction.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.07.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.08.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.09.34 AM.png

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

A couple shots I did this morning with the G85, Cinelike D, straight out of the camera, no color correction.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.07.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.08.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.09.34 AM.png

You could shoot a feature in a docu style narrative like the Dardenne Bros with images like this. I was hoping the gh5 could deliver something that could produce more stylistic images that could be similar in color richness to some of the bm cameras or the canon hacks. The g85 is truly impressive for the cost. I bought one but returned it because of the original ibis issue, but Panasonic hit out of the park with that camera.

2 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

You could shoot a feature in a docu style narrative like the Dardenne Bros with images like this. I was hoping the gh5 could deliver something that could produce more stylistic images that could be similar in color richness to some of the bm cameras or the canon hacks. The g85 is truly impressive for the cost. I bought one but returned it because of the original ibis issue, but Panasonic hit out of the park with that camera.

The thing is, if I were behind the camera instead of in front of it, the advantage disappears. I'd rather shoot APS-C. So if I do finally make a short, it'll probably be with the X-T2, not the G85.

Dusty lenses and all! :) 

Fair review. You're missing the point of 10bit Jon. The images should look the same. The point of vlog, 10bit, and the coming 400Mbps codecs are about dynamic range and heavy grading ability, ie. grading 8 bit GH4 material it falls apart easily. If using the baked in 8bit and you can work with the DR then yes, totally agree. As this video shows, they are one of the view reviewers to understand that it's about whole camera comparison, not just one feature or another. 

31 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I love Lee's work, he's an awesome shooter, but even this clip from his most recent video shows how off the colors are from so many reviews of the GH5. Sorry, Lee, I love you!

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.51.05 AM.png

It's fine... Not everyone is relaxing in the bahamas

3 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Fair review. You're missing the point of 10bit Jon. The images should look the same. The point of vlog, 10bit, and the coming 400Mbps codecs are about dynamic range and heavy grading ability, ie. grading 8 bit GH4 material it falls apart easily. If using the baked in 8bit and you can work with the DR then yes, totally agree. As this video shows, they are one of the view reviewers to understand that it's about whole camera comparison, not just one feature or another. 

It's fine... Not everyone is relaxing in the bahamas

Relaxing in the Bahamas? Then 10 bit is for the 1/10 of 1% of those who know how to expose, white balance and grade properly, which isn't me.

55 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I don't want to get hung up on Lee's color - he's ten times the photographer I'll ever be.

I do prefer the blue one though. 

On another topic, changing the luminance from 0-1023 on the GH5 10 bit files does allow them to get into Premiere. But I'd add that 1) those files still seem to be not great - it crashed premiere (pc) the first time I tried 2) it does not play smoothly at all, pretty annoying in editing 3) the clip thumbnail goes to a grey picture unless you have mouse over it, 4) you can't change luminance with vlog anyway. So best bet atm is using the wrapper. 

Prettttty nice 6K photo 

3 hours ago, Orangenz said:

One of the most sensible reviews I've seen so far.

2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I do prefer the blue one though. 

On another topic, changing the luminance from 0-1023 on the GH5 10 bit files does allow them to get into Premiere. But I'd add that 1) those files still seem to be not great - it crashed premiere (pc) the first time I tried 2) it does not play smoothly at all, pretty annoying in editing 3) the clip thumbnail goes to a grey picture unless you have mouse over it, 4) you can't change luminance with vlog anyway. So best bet atm is using the wrapper. 

Prettttty nice 6K photo 

This is just wrong on so many levels. Sorry, I'm pretty contrarian today (no different than any other day, right?), but how is this superior to 4K? Especially since there's no need to crop in a situation like this. It's already possible to crop in on normal 4K footage. I just don't trust reviewers like Peter, as warm and fuzzy as he is, when they never show us footage they've shot. And what's the point of owning a fancy camera if you can't even keep the highlights in your video from being blown out in studio conditions?

Edit: I already realize that if you're shooting something unpredictable like a sporting event or something, recording 'open gate' could come in handy, but it's not something I see myself ever needing. Does Mr. Gregg even realize what this is for? Because I tried really hard to watch the video all the way through, but I can't recall him ever saying exactly when this would be useful. I'm afraid some people will get the impression from watching this, that it's valuable for getting extra resolution, when what I see is an image that is already disturbingly sharp.

Edit II: I know Mr. Gregg is proud of his Olympus 25mm f/1.2 'Pro', he got rid of his Leica, but I would say keep your Leica or, if you really need a 'normal' prime, go with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN, step back a couple of feet, and save yourself the $900.00. 

Edit III: For the videos he does, Mr. Gregg could shoot his episodes with a G85 and Sigma and use the $2,000 he saves to buy Jingles a nice Christmas gift.

12 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Pretty honest appraisal of the camera at its current state. They say full hdmi for production is a big deal but that image still suffers from magenta and cyan macroblocking in V-log at 10bit. Hopefully, the summer firmware takes full advantage of the 10bit and sorts this out or else besides the 4k 60p is this camera worth twice the cost of the g85?

I would say if you were to use the camera to shoot a low budget feature, the extra robustness of the GH line would be worth twice the cost for reliability...to be fair I don't have the g85 and still don't have my gh5...regarding the macro blocking I've chatted with 2 gh5 owners who used to have gh4s and both said the issue was gone...at least it's no impediment for narrative work...that's really where production design comes into play...and for those who say no budget for production design...I don't know how you'd make a film or a commercial without it...the considerations between the gh5 and say a Arriflex S35 or an Aaton S16mm are not that different between say wardrobe and scenic design...the considerations of need is different, though hardly realistic...it takes all aspects of image design to get the million$ image...or the studios would never have spent money on something unnecessary...good points about the camera in this review though! 

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

Or back from a quick vacation to the Bahamas? ;)

The grade above is much more pleasing. I do like cyan or cool tones in Scandinavian cinema however. I think Lee just posted his review without any color correction, maybe he wanted to just get it out there quickly.

On something completely different, I put this together out of 4 low cost items on aliexpress. Great for putting the phone/monitor close by like when you've got the camera on the end of a long pole (although I'd probably use the X3000 for that not the GH5.)

ulanzi2.jpg

ulanzi.jpg

6 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

On something completely different, I put this together out of 4 low cost items on aliexpress. Great for putting the phone/monitor close by like when you've got the camera on the end of a long pole (although I'd probably use the X3000 for that not the GH5.)

Do you ever find the Panasonic Image App to be sluggish, or have you ever had it freeze while you're using it? Because this seems to be happening quite often with me.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Do you ever find the Panasonic Image App to be sluggish, or have you ever had it freeze while you're using it? Because this seems to be happening quite often with me.

What platform? It does get confused if I operate the camera while controlling it remotely but otherwise super fast and responsive. Did my moon photos using it. Also the speed when reviewing photos or video is full wifi speed, full res playback of images and video without any lag or waiting whatsoever. I was very impressed. I use a Oneplus3T Android so 1) connected the phone to the GH5 wifi, 2) turned the app on and it connects straight away, then 3) I enabled screencast which connected the phone to the microsoft wireless adaptor on the TV. So was then able to go through the photos and videos with all the families at once on the big tv. All without hitch or wires. Very cool. Very easy to skip 40 photos when I had pressed on the shutter for 3 seconds rather than have to view every one. Also connected to the TV via the full size hdmi socket (which rather surprised the techies there who had said oo sorry we don't have a small hdmi adaptor). I didn't try the app in that config though.