Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Matt Holder said:

regarding dynamic range- when a challenging backlit shot presents itself i go to idynamic high. seems to see into the shadows by a few extra stops.

happens a lot with real estate where i am trying to hold the sky and the building.

anyone have any reason not to do this?

On the GH4 it was just ugly pushing shadow areas to midtones with lots of noise and strange noise reduction...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

To everyone who already activated V-log:

Have you tried to tweak your GH5's picture profile with the James Miller (like) settings? I tried to use a similar setting on my GH4, but it was a mess. Now, that the GH5's got 10bit, can you increase the dynamic range just by tweaking the camera settings?

Thanks!

what are his settings? i bought his lut pack still testing it out. does anyone know the name of his lut where he films his wife in, theres so many luts to sort through

Firmware 1.1 just announced, releases April 24th. Includes:

-10-bit 4:2:2 in 1080p

-4:3 anamorphic mode (3398x2496), also in 10-bit 4:2:2

-exposure adjustment problem in VFR mode (I'm guessing this is the darker screen when using shutter angle)

-V-Log high-ISO ghosting problems (doesn't this happen in normal profiles too? Hope this addresses that too)

9 hours ago, arson519 said:

what are his settings? i bought his lut pack still testing it out. does anyone know the name of his lut where he films his wife in, theres so many luts to sort through

I meant these settings, "pseudo log" using master pedestal level, etc. 

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

-exposure adjustment problem in VFR mode (I'm guessing this is the darker screen when using shutter angle)

-V-Log high-ISO ghosting problems (doesn't this happen in normal profiles too? Hope this addresses that too)

Two things I noticed this weekend: Current timelapse photo count does not show on screen during capture. Exposure zebras disappear when exposure compensation is being changed. 

11 hours ago, aldolega said:

That's great that they are pumping out firmware so soon after the release.  

I'm guessing they'll fix the autofocus problems later in the summer, though?  Can they afford to wait that long as that might affect sales.

13 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Two things I noticed this weekend: Current timelapse photo count does not show on screen during capture. Exposure zebras disappear when exposure compensation is being changed. 

The zebras disappearing when exposure compensation is changed, is something I mentioned a while back with the G85, and is my biggest annoyance with the GH5. I can't begin to understand the rationale for this decision. You need to see the zebras while adjusting exposure, not reappearing after.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

The zebras disappearing when exposure compensation is changed, is something I mentioned a while back with the G85, and is my biggest annoyance with the GH5. I can't begin to understand the rationale for this decision. You need to see the zebras while adjusting exposure, not reappearing after.

So how do you use the Zebra feature...are Zebras not on if you turned them on?

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

So how do you use the Zebra feature...are Zebras not on if you turned them on?

Fritz, they're on, but awkward to use. So let's say you're viewing your scene, and you see areas of overexposure as indicated by your zebras. You begin to adjust exposure down, but as soon as you press the exposure button, the zebras disappear! So rather than adjusting exposure down until your zebras disappear, you're really just guessing. If you adjust exposure down by 1/3EV and then exit the exposure adjustment, the zebras will either disappear if you adjusted down far enough, or reappear if you weren't aggressive enough in your adjustment. If the zebras are still there upon exiting exposure adjustment, you then need to hit the exposure adjustment again, and bang, the zebras again disappear as soon as you hit the exposure button. 

It works the same way on the G85. I can't begin to understand Panasonic's thinking on this.

3 hours ago, kinvermark said:

My half-baked "solution" to this is to adjust exposure using a variable ND filter.  It works nicely in terms of being able to finely adjust the histogram and accurately eliminate the zebras wherever you wish.   Clearly not a solution for all uses, however.

The strange this about this is if you are in A, S, or P modes and you adjust something else, like shutter speed, the same sort of rolling scale pops up but the zebras stay on screen. It's only with the exposure comp scale that the zebras disappear. Also, currently in P mode my dials don't do anything. It would be great to have one set to exposure comp just for P mode. Someone can learn me up on this please.

9 hours ago, Orangenz said:

The strange this about this is if you are in A, S, or P modes and you adjust something else, like shutter speed, the same sort of rolling scale pops up but the zebras stay on screen. It's only with the exposure comp scale that the zebras disappear. Also, currently in P mode my dials don't do anything. It would be great to have one set to exposure comp just for P mode. Someone can learn me up on this please.

Well, it's the same when adjusting ISO manually. Pretty annoying indeed, as you have to go in and out of the menu to check for zebras.

10 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Orangenz, that can't be assigned to one of the dials? I don't have the camera with me to try it, but I like the idea.