Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Shooting Veydra Primes on the GH5. Good article.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/14/veydra-mini-primes-panasonic-gh5/

Nothing there without the low pass filter that I could not live with...the Veydras look lovely!!

14 hours ago, zetty said:

I don't think Panasonic anticipated all this fuss about AF, so the settings and the manual aren't that well thought out.

Frankly, neither did I. Can't believe the % of attention this camera is getting that's going into this. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about AF even if it could be a nice extra. I rarely use gimbal and can live with deep DOF or keeping appropriate distance and just tapping on my phone attached to my arm when I need to refocus. Now, with IBIS (which is truly amazing) I'll use gimbal even less as I don't mind slight handheld look most of the time.

FWIW, I think the Panasonic's excuse for not implementing PD focus because it degrades IQ is bullshit though. I reckon it was a commercial decision they had to make as clearly there is a limit of R&D that can go into a camera at this price.

I have literally never touched AF on my GH4's since 2014 lol...who could have thought!!

We spent part of the afternoon at a nearby lake and I took the GH5 along to do some casual shooting. I used the Panasonic 14-140 lens, 1-area AF in both AF lock & CAF modes and mostly Cinelike D & Standard picture profile. I had no issues with the AF. Shot in 4K60p mode (sorry to those that hate this mode...I like it ;) )

Funny to see a 100 pages discussion from which is 80% about Autofocus. At the same time, hundreds of video's are posted but none of them contain any production value. 90% is just baby- / cat- / house- / foreground flowers in focus / neighberhood video's.

Also telling is that nowadays many vloggers buying a GH5 for their work. It's funny and weird to see how the video market has changed from a majority of professional camera users, to 90% hobbyists, vloggers and rich people buying this cam to play with for a while before never touching it again.

Sorry, but i can't help the feeling of feeling slightly bad for all these spoiled little brats. If you can't or won't produce anything of visual value with this camera, then please don't judge it for it's AF capabilities. I have never used AF for video nor while I ever, and I'm not saying nobody may not or shouldn't, I am just pointing out what a bunch of whiners film makers have become.

We used to use gear which was highly impractical and inefficient and made the best out of it to satisfy our clients. Now we're shooting 4k in slow motion footage of our cat which moves away from us all the time or towards us, and complain that this stupid 2000 euro camera can't even hold the damn cat in focus.

This is not a complaint about EOSHD, where the percentage of sensible professionals is still pretty high, but about all the stuff I've seen lately on Youtube, Facebook and forums about this AF-talk combined with their cat- and garden video's.

As soon as I will finish some professional shoots with the GH5, I will report back here. Until then, I'm gonna leave the discussions up to you. Happy shooting.

6 minutes ago, Stab said:

Funny to see a 100 pages discussion from which is 80% about Autofocus. At the same time, hundreds of video's are posted but none of them contain any production value. 90% is just baby- / cat- / house- / foreground flowers in focus / neighberhood video's.

Also telling is that nowadays many vloggers buying a GH5 for their work. It's funny and weird to see how the video market has changed from a majority of professional camera users, to 90% hobbyists, vloggers and rich people buying this cam to play with for a while before never touching it again.

Sorry, but i can't help the feeling of feeling slightly bad for all these spoiled little brats. If you can't or won't produce anything of visual value with this camera, then please don't judge it for it's AF capabilities. I have never used AF for video nor while I ever, and I'm not saying nobody may not or shouldn't, I am just pointing out what a bunch of whiners film makers have become.

We used to use gear which was highly impractical and inefficient and made the best out of it to satisfy our clients. Now we're shooting 4k in slow motion footage of our cat which moves away from us all the time or towards us, and complain that this stupid 2000 euro camera can't even hold the damn cat in focus.

This is not a complaint about EOSHD, where the percentage of sensible professionals is still pretty high, but about all the stuff I've seen lately on Youtube, Facebook and forums about this AF-talk combined with their cat- and garden video's.

As soon as I will finish some professional shoots with the GH5, I will report back here. Until then, I'm gonna leave the discussions up to you. Happy shooting.

+100...before I became interested in the GH5 I did not even know what a Vlogger was?...but is it sensible to buy a complex camera that one knows anything  about and after 2 or 3 days rushing a review of a feature good or bad out there, because you're trying to get your piece of bullshit out there, before the next guy's...did this even exist 4  or 5 years ago....and how does it help the film making community....what it will do though, is make money for one guy ( who's business it is to attract more followers, be it blasting a product that they had no business making a public statement about in the first place) and for the people who actually want to create something (not sell their under informed opinions)....what it does for them?...It will stifle innovation on the part of companies like Panasonic, because why should you put professional features in a camera at great cost to your company, only for it to land up in the hands of a bunch of whiners....no wonder a Andrew is getting sick of this...I'm personally mystified that he's had the discipline to last as long as he has....

4 hours ago, Stab said:

Which is the very reason I cancelled my preorder. Everything I do is for YouTube, I need something compact as well, great camera, but maybe too much camera for what I do.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Which is the very reason I cancelled my preorder. Everything I do is for YouTube, I need something compact as well, great camera, but maybe too much camera for what I do.

They look 100% to me already and the upgrade from g85 is less benefit than from gh4. Most of my projects don't go on YouTube, include photos, slow motion, and sky needing extra color depth.

13 hours ago, eltorrete said:

Since the autofocus does not work, :grin: what is the recommendation for a manual lens?

- Veydra MFT

- Rokinon Cinema MFT

- Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35

- Speedbooster + Rokinon Cinema

- Speedbooster + Any other.

Voigtlander primes

SLR magic primes

Kowa primes

Olympus Pro zooms and primes

Olympus 17mm and 12mm

14 hours ago, eltorrete said:

Since the autofocus does not work, :grin: what is the recommendation for a manual lens?

- Veydra MFT

- Rokinon Cinema MFT

- Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35

- Speedbooster + Rokinon Cinema

- Speedbooster + Any other.

On manual lenses realm, you won't have access to touchscreen focus... The best workaround to full AF IMO.

No idea if with SB + Sigma 18-35 on Canon side, you have it or not, though.

5 hours ago, Chrad said:

Voigtlander primes

SLR magic primes

Kowa primes

Olympus Pro zooms and primes

Olympus 17mm and 12mm

Would they be in order of their preference?

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

On manual lenses realm, you won't have access to touchscreen focus... The best workaround to full AF IMO.

No idea if with SB + Sigma 18-35 on Canon side, you have it or not, though.

To af and touch af I have Panasonic 12-35 Mk1, is the one I plan to use in my Crane or run and shot.

I would like something to start to manual focus, with the panasonic I find it a hell, I do not know if the sigma would improve the focus by wire for panasonic. The option of Veydra or Rokinon / samyang Cinema is to have a prime with a repeatable focus for video.

41 minutes ago, eltorrete said:

Would they be in order of their preference?

I only own Voigtlanders at the moment and love them but I've used SLR magic and also really like them.

The Olympus lenses I mentioned are interesting because they have auto focus and repeatable manual focus with hard stops.

regarding dynamic range- when a challenging backlit shot presents itself i go to idynamic high. seems to see into the shadows by a few extra stops.

happens a lot with real estate where i am trying to hold the sky and the building.

anyone have any reason not to do this?

44 minutes ago, Matt Holder said:

regarding dynamic range- when a challenging backlit shot presents itself i go to idynamic high. seems to see into the shadows by a few extra stops.

happens a lot with real estate where i am trying to hold the sky and the building.

anyone have any reason not to do this?

I'm getting a refusal to take a photo on this scene unless I turn af off. 

IMG_20170418_125028.jpg