Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

It seemed to me when he was exposing for highlights, looking at the split screen, the GH5 did better at retaining details in those highlights as evidenced by the white building in the background. Low light seemed fairly close up to about ISO3200. After that the Sony pulled away.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, I bolded out your comment only because some will actually believe it takes all day to charge the battery. In reality I think it takes about 4 hours. Not exactly quick for sure, but not quite all day. The camera's had enough bad press with the AF, let's leave it at that. ;)

Will do a round of proper testing. It certainly seemed a lot longer than 4 hours. But here's the thing, I come home and have 4 hours available before sleep. So can I get 5 batteries charging in that time? I was short on two fronts. A little too slow on the charger, and too many batteries for single charger. Now I have 3 slots available :D 

10 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Sorry....I should have clarified my question...I meant on aftermarket batteries...the GH2 never showed 3rd Party batteries in the battery indicator and with the Gh4, like you said....who needs spare batteries!

Yes, the indicator works with them. I just noticed though that the AM battery still had 40% charge after being declared empty so I think I'll shutup for a bit until I've done some better comparison tests. 

Maybe it's learning how much power is in a battery? The first few times I used it one bar would go after 20 min. (iphonedo said the same thing). But just recording then, no bars went until after one hour. Then at about 1hr 8min the monitor turned off and I couldn't get it going again (while still recording). 30 minutes later the monitor started again as I opened the screen (I had done that before and nothing happened). So... don't know what I did there to turn the screen off. Any ideas? This run I started the camera recording on the new battery without any on time before hand. The Panasonic battery lasted 2:23:57 constant recording (but monitor had not been on the whole time) over the two cards for 5 files. I emptied each card as it filled and popped it back in, live, without problems. Nice bright red flashing light over the card that is recording so no mistakes. The video clips join without any video breaks at all but there is 28 frames of missing audio (about a second) on the end of every clip so the spanning is not seemless for audio. Incidentally, this second of quiet seems to be on every shot I've taken in different formats. 

4 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Test what? People have tested it to oblivion already, just look back a few pages here. Neistat just did his vlog with a GH5 and it looked pretty nice. 

Did you see that test? Max tested the fast settings. There's hunting. What about with the slow settings? Also hunting? Tap to focus in manual?

I didn't see any other tap to focus tests. In autofocus, yes. Also specifically tap to focus in manual. Too little. People talk, talk, it is bad. Always same wrong settings. Tap to focus can be different. I want to buy. I need to see first.

33 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

It's from April 6. Look back in this topic to then.

aCbtJyV.png

11 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Auto. In MF you can't get that kind of error unless the subject distance changes...assuming you focused accurately in the first place.

I've found tap to focus to be very accurate.

Yes, how camera focus accurately in tap to focus in the first place?

24 minutes ago, shooter said:

I didn't see any other tap to focus tests. In autofocus, yes. Also specifically tap to focus in manual. Too little. People talk, talk, it is bad. Always same wrong settings. Tap to focus can be different. I want to buy. I need to see first.

aCbtJyV.png

Yes, how camera focus accurately in tap to focus?

Not sure about tap to focus, maybe I never found that feature on the GH4 or 5. For me I tap the auto focus box, drag it a bit, and release. It focusses on where you drop the AF box and BLAMMO it hits focus every time. If there was a single tap, rather than the drag and drop type of thing I do, I'd be interested to know about it. 

12 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Not sure about tap to focus, maybe I never found that feature on the GH4 or 5. For me I tap the auto focus box, drag it a bit, and release. It focusses on where you drop the AF box and BLAMMO it hits focus every time. If there was a single tap, rather than the drag and drop type of thing I do, I'd be interested to know about it. 

No single tap? I think it is possible. A friend of mine said it is the way he does. He has several Panasonic units. Not yet the GH5. 

If it is always accurate, it is very good. No hunting?

I only saw Max tested but the fast settings. With bad hunting.

1 hour ago, shooter said:

No single tap? I think it is possible. A friend of mine said it is the way he does. He has several Panasonic units. Not yet the GH5. 

Ohh, got you now. I use manual focus and drag and drop with the AF box. The touch thing works in AFC mode. Never used it. Maybe I should? AF tends to pulse as it finds focus (dfd) so don't use it much sorry.

On something else:
Panasonic Battery 3:08 to fully charge with stock charger. 2:23:57 recording time. 
Kastar Battery 00:58:57 recording time

9 hours ago, Orangenz said:

9 hours ago, shooter said:

Here is an example.

Seems from Canon's mobile app. Panasonic has also one from their own. But this can obviously be done from camera LCD:

This person contacted blackmagic about resolve not supporting gh5 10bit files and got this reply:

"You are correct, the 10 bit files recorded by the GH5 are not supported in the free release of Resolve.
As such you would require the Studio release in order to be able to import and work with these files.
It is worth noting that this is NOT a BUG IN THE APPLICATION.
I will mark this ticket as a feature request for the attention of the development team.
I cannot comment on the possibility of future features or give a timescale for the development of such features or updates.
In the mean time I would RECOMMEND TRANSCODING your files to a supported format such as ProRes or DNxHD."
(Technical Support of Blackmagic Design).

12 hours ago, shooter said:

Did you see that test? Max tested the fast settings. There's hunting. What about with the slow settings? Also hunting? Tap to focus in manual?

Use 1-area AF if you want the best results. Period. In my tests I did not activate the custom AF settings and got very little hunting when I did the 'now you see the lens, now you don't' test. The same test that was a total failure for Max. IMO, for most uses, there's no need to use the custome speed and sensitivity, but if you insist, watch this video where he does adjust it but still gets better results than Max, because he used 1-area. Many subjects will also do fine when using the AF lock, which will totally eliminate hunting. Then there's MF, but nobody wants to discuss that. ;) I just don't know what else to say on this topic, I'm worn out.

11 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Orangenz, unless I'm misunderstanding you, if you're using 1-area AF, you should be able to just tap anywhere on the LCD and get the camera to focus where you finger lands. It simply moves the AF box to the new area, but does it instantly. If you then hit the joy stick, it will return to the central area focus point.

10 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Ohh, got you now. I use manual focus and drag and drop with the AF box. The touch thing works in AFC mode. Never used it. Maybe I should? AF tends to pulse as it finds focus (dfd) so don't use it much sorry.

On something else:
Panasonic Battery 3:08 to fully charge with stock charger. 2:23:57 recording time. 
Kastar Battery 00:58:57 recording time

Ah, so even my 4 hour estimate was too high. Good to know.

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Here is an example.

Seems from Canon's mobile app. Panasonic has also one from their own. But this can obviously be done from camera LCD:

I don't understand his point. He thinks the autofocus isn't worth $2000 and the example he talks about is focussing on the image on the wall behind him. No AF in the world knows your thoughts to change to the background then to you for no reason at all. Mobile app is great tool, love it. Wish was higher resolution. 

8 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, unless I'm misunderstanding you, if you're using 1-area AF, you should be able to just tap anywhere on the LCD and get the camera to focus where you finger lands. It simply moves the AF box to the new area, but does it instantly. If you then hit the joy stick, it will return to the central area focus point.

In AFC mode. I'm always in manual mode so never used it. In manual mode you have to drag the 1 area a little bit. 

9 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Ah, so even my 4 hour estimate was too high. Good to know.

Final battery test results under constant record 4k 10bit with screen open and on.

Panasonic battery (tested twice) 2:23:57 and 2:18:23.
Kastar batteries (tested once each) 0:58:57 and 1:16:23
Power2000 batteries (three+ years old, one failed) 1:24:59 

Charging Panasonic battery: 3:08+ to oem panasonic charge. 2:07 to lvsun charge. 

4 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, do you see any difference in the run time of the battery when it's been charged on the OEM charger vs the Ivsun?

They both indicate full once you take a charged battery and put it on the other charger. For the pana battery, one test was after charge on each charger. No significant difference, or to having the screen off for 20 min or so. I'm tempted to get another couple of brands to test but I also think I'll have to end up with panasonics at 5 times the price. 

Have been trying the afc touch to focus. It's so smooth??!! No dfd bump at each end?! Will play with this more :)