Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, shooter said:

haha Have you noticed it frequently in your Panasonic camera?

I'm not Panasonic user. Maybe GH5 will be the same.

It happens on my sony rx100 iv. Someone's face will cover most of the screen, but it will still af on the background until I press to refocus. It's okay for vlogging, personal stuff and some pro work like with gimbals, but af is still going to be flaky at times on any camera these day.

If you mean just tap to focus, it was flaky at times on the nx1 as well. For me, I just want the camera to stay focus on something and not hunt. I could care less about transition speed since I will manually focus if that is important. I wonder if the gh5 can do this within it's settings.

12 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

It happens on my sony rx100 iv. Someone's face will cover most of the screen, but it will still af on the background until I press to refocus. It's okay for vlogging, personal stuff and some pro work like with gimbals, but af is still going to be flaky at times on any camera these day.

If you mean just tap to focus, it was flaky at times on the nx1 as well. For me, I just want the camera to stay focus on something and not hunt. I could care less about transition speed since I will manually focus if that is important. I wonder if the gh5 can do this within it's settings.

But tap to focus should behave in a different way if in manual mode, no? 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Trail and error? I've never done any tests. The other day was the first time it's happened. There was a well-lit contrasty building behind my face and it fooled the camera. But it can happen any time, there are examples online of tap to focus not working perfectly. I can run some tests tomorrow, but this isn't the GH5, it's the G85, so in another thread.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 8.41.00 PM.png

I just watched your Saigon Central Post Office video and you are getting better images out of the g85 than anything I've seen from the gh5, especially the interior shots. I like that you don't try to change the fundamental imaging of the camera to make it something it's not, but work with the camera's inherent characteristics.

2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Is it helpful to the thread? Can I take it to private message? Does anyone care that I'm offended? All good questions. On the actual topic then, my new battery charger is 2A, not 0.6 A. For the GH5 the stock charger is not sufficient or quick enough.

Orangenz, when I googled up that charger and clicked on the links, it often said 'no longer available'. Is it a current item or are there different iterations of this same charger?

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Have you seen Zed ProMedia's review that I posted this morning? I believe he says to expect around 1-1/2 hours from one battery. Do you think that's accurate?

Jon, I think that's a pretty good ballpark number and one that's close to what I've seen. We have all different shooting habits, so battery life can vary.

20 minutes ago, shooter said:

But tap to focus should behave in a different way if in manual mode, no? 

yeah, I think it will just refocus and not track but I can't be certain since none of my cameras now have touch screens. Maybe someone else can clear this up especially for the gh5 to stay on topic. I was just saying that for whatever reason even tap to focus can be flaky probably on any camera.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Trail and error? I've never done any tests. The other day was the first time it's happened. There was a well-lit contrasty building behind my face and it fooled the camera. But it can happen any time, there are examples online of tap to focus not working perfectly. I can run some tests tomorrow, but this isn't the GH5, it's the G85, so in another thread.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 8.41.00 PM.png

Jon, I would never say you look better OOF than in focus...not me. :)

1 hour ago, shooter said:

I see. So you tried to focus your face and the camera focused the background? Maybe in autofocus? Did you see if in manual mode the tap to focus behaves the same? 

Honestly, I've had the same thing happen with every camera I've ever owned...PDAF or contrast.

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Truth hurts. :( 

Nah, just playing. Sometimes we need to lighten things up. ;)

29 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

I just watched your Saigon Central Post Office video and you are getting better images out of the g85 than anything I've seen from the gh5, especially the interior shots. I like that you don't try to change the fundamental imaging of the camera to make it something it's not, but work with the camera's inherent characteristics.

The GH5 overall imagery is so close to the G85 (only with better capabilities), I'd say if you gave Jon the GH5, he'd achieve the same or better results.

19 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

yeah, I think it will just refocus and not track but I can't be certain since none of my cameras now have touch screens. Maybe someone else can clear this up especially for the gh5 to stay on topic. I was just saying that for whatever reason even tap to focus can be flaky probably on any camera.

As I've experienced it on the GH5, tap to focus in manual mode does not work. When in manual mode, there is a small AF box in the lower right. By touching that, you will get an AF execution within the relatively large rectangular area shown on the LCD. It will not refocus after that until you next hit the AF box in the lower right. 

Using tap to focus in AF mode, you will force the camera to focus on the area you select, but if you change your framing, the focus will continue to change within that box if you've selected continuous AF within the camera's menu.

17 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Auto. In MF you can't get that kind of error unless the subject distance changes...assuming you focused accurately in the first place.

I've found tap to focus to be very accurate.

With no introduction of any hunting, Ken?

I haven't us

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

With no introduction of any hunting, Ken?

Emanuel,I haven't used it that much, but I'd have to believe that you'd experience the same amount of hunting you would with ordinary CAF. I see no reason it would be different since the camera will always be looking within the selected box for things to focus on. For so much of this, AF lock is your friend. :) 

24 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Emanuel,I haven't used it that much, but I'd have to believe that you'd experience the same amount of hunting you would with ordinary CAF. I see no reason it would be different since the camera will always be looking within the selected box for things to focus on. For so much of this, AF lock is your friend. :) 

Indeed. My question comes from the MY's test based on the fastest settings prone to fail:

I guess slower settings can only help to prevent any hunting.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Have you seen Zed ProMedia's review that I posted this morning? I believe he says to expect around 1-1/2 hours from one battery. Do you think that's accurate?

Trying the stress test now. I think about an hour actually recording with 5 to 10 minutes goofing off at the start. Will confirm in a few minutes.

9 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Does the camera "see" these batteries when you use them?

The battery charge indicator works pretty accurately, yes.

10 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Sorry....can you clarify....did you buy a second charger because the GH5 charger is too slow, and if so, do you mind sharing a link to what you bought....also do you know per chance whether the stock GH4 & GH5 chargers are identical....I believe the batteries are...

I put the link in the other thread about tips. Let me find it...

BATTERY CHARGER: the GH5 charger is 0.65A and takes a day to charge one battery so trying to charge 5 is impossible. A charger like https://goo.gl/EM1NyP charges 2 batteries at up to 2A each (3x faster each). It also charge checks very quickly in a matter of seconds, even when not connected to mains. It was a couple of dollars less on sale. 

I don't have my GH4 charger. It seemed to charge faster but maybe I just didn't get the opportunity to use it much on more than one battery. Ever! The GH4 can go forever. Yes, I got the dual charger as the GH5 stock charger is WAY too slow. Impossibly slow if you (now) have to charge 5 batteries.

Also have one of these on the way https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMWAC8-DMW-DCC12-DMW-AC8-DMW-DCC12-DC-Coupler-AC-Power-travel-Adapter-for-Panasonic-Lumix/32629658872.html 

28 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Trying the stress test now. I think about an hour actually recording with 5 to 10 minutes goofing off at the start. Will confirm in a few minutes.

Yup. 5-10 minutes in menus, one 53.9GB file of 10bit vlog, 51:33 duration. LED screen on. Don't think any power saving things are turned on.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

BATTERY CHARGER: the GH5 charger is 0.65A and takes a day to charge one battery so trying to charge 5 is impossible. A charger like https://goo.gl/EM1NyP charges 2 batteries at up to 2A each (3x faster each). It also charge checks very quickly in a matter of seconds, even when not connected to mains. It was a couple of dollars less on sale. 

I don't have my GH4 charger. It seemed to charge faster but maybe I just didn't get the opportunity to use it much on more than one battery. Ever! The GH4 can go forever. Yes, I got the dual charger as the GH5 stock charger is WAY too slow. Impossibly slow if you (now) have to charge 5 batteries.

Also have one of these on the way https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMWAC8-DMW-DCC12-DMW-AC8-DMW-DCC12-DC-Coupler-AC-Power-travel-Adapter-for-Panasonic-Lumix/32629658872.html 

Sorry....I should have clarified my question...I meant on aftermarket batteries...the GH2 never showed 3rd Party batteries in the battery indicator and with the Gh4, like you said....who needs spare batteries!

28 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Orangenz, I bolded out your comment only because some will actually believe it takes all day to charge the battery. In reality I think it takes about 4 hours. Not exactly quick for sure, but not quite all day. The camera's had enough bad press with the AF, let's leave it at that. ;)

"GH5 vs A6500 - IBIS, Lowlight, 4K, Dynamic Range, & Rolling Shutter COMPARED"

Stabilization on the gh5 is better. A6500 seems slightly better dynamic range than Cine-D 10bit, but I wonder if v-log will give it the extra 2 stops some are touting. RS is terrible on a6500 but that's par for the course.