Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

44 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Dear god I hope not. It's of course personal taste but it looks as bad to me as watching TV with Intelligent Frame Creation. 

But it explains why some people say auto focus is fine and others say it'sbad. Today's Newsshooter short review also says that AF is a lot better in 60p than in 24p. I would guess most people will only use UHD 60p to create slow motion (also seeing how 24p 10bit is internal but 60p 10bit needs external recording).

Some of the newer stuff coming out really shows nice images. I think Panasonic really delivered a great camera and I'm looking forward to see how the coming firmware updates improve on it further.

Wouldn't surprise me. I've noticed that trend of 60p autofocus being better, usually much better, with every camera I've owned. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Orangenz said:

iPhondo ran this same comparison https://youtu.be/8WD9C3C2koU?t=9m13s1) The entire lens and sensor system in that camera is floating. Small sensor, DR is not so good. 

2) I don't think any camera has as good stabilisation as the x3000,

3) The wide angle lens reduces the visible effect of shake so a fair comparison would be with a super wide lens on the GH5 too.

4) The central handle used would reduce vertical motion but allow sideways motion due to its axis of rotation. A different way of holding the GH5 for walking shots is recommended for testing.

Conclusion: There is some noticeable lateral motion from walking picked up by the GH5. As vertical motion is well damped the sideways motion can become obvious sometimes. This effect seems mostly due to a poorly controlled walking style or handle that allows the camera to rotate sideways. As it is, the GH5 IBIS is significantly better stabilisation than many other cameras, including the iPhondo’s actual blogging camera, the RX100.

I find the IBIS on the GH5 to be excellent for hand-holding and far better than the Sony A6500 I tried. I do think that video is accurate in that if you do 'walking videos' (I don't), the motion that's not as well damped is the lateral motion. I'm sure with a refined walking style, that can be minimized.

Quick question: Did anyone try to use RockyMountains Movie Converter to convert the 10bit UHD files of the GH5 into ProRes? I use that to transcode my Sony XAVC-S for performance reasons and wondered if it'll chew the GH5 material.

Still going to wait for NAB but, no huge surprise expecting, I'll probably go for the GH5 afterwards. Strongly wondering what lens setup right now.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Hanriverprod said:

Don't worry I'm having a great day. But look how you started this conversation with me. You turned me into a wailing baby because I have a different opinion. And now again you are the one who literally misquoted me at your first post but now accuse me of doing it. I don't get it. Also don't make it seem like I'm being sensitive and you are the bigger man for being rude to strangers. More passive aggressive issues. I'm at the park and my wife and I are having a good laugh about this.  Sorry it's at your expense.

As far as the GH5, I will probably rent it next week and do some tests. Rough scene coverage to see how it handles skin in mixed interior lights. Hopefully it looks like nice "digital" images. Did I do it right this time for your safe space?

Dude....just tape the Canon logo over the name plate and all will be fine and the footage will look fantastic. Really, its that simple! ;)

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, Hanriverprod said:

I said it looks nice and it does look nice. And you like Andy like to misquote people. You actually put something I didn't say into quotes like I said it which is what he did. Is this something new being taught at film schools these days? How to deal with strangers you disagree with on camera forums by misquoting them?

They are not misquoting you. They are disagreeing with what they understood you to be saying. If you meant something other than what they understood you to mean, then perhaps you should rephrase it to make it clearer rather than attacking them. You are the one who is acting defensively when faced with someone having an opinion different from yourself.

10 hours ago, Orangenz said:

iPhondo ran this same comparison https://youtu.be/8WD9C3C2koU?t=9m13s1) The entire lens and sensor system in that camera is floating. Small sensor, DR is not so good. 

2) I don't think any camera has as good stabilisation as the x3000,

3) The wide angle lens reduces the visible effect of shake so a fair comparison would be with a super wide lens on the GH5 too.

4) The central handle used would reduce vertical motion but allow sideways motion due to its axis of rotation. A different way of holding the GH5 for walking shots is recommended for testing.

Conclusion: There is some noticeable lateral motion from walking picked up by the GH5. As vertical motion is well damped the sideways motion can become obvious sometimes. This effect seems mostly due to a poorly controlled walking style or handle that allows the camera to rotate sideways. As it is, the GH5 IBIS is significantly better stabilisation than many other cameras, including the iPhondo’s actual blogging camera, the RX100.

Oh My God!! The X3000 just kicks the other two cameras Ass! Hell even the color is better. Look at the Sky on the X3000 Jesus. I think DR maybe even be as good.  I Have got to get one of those!

10 hours ago, dbp said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I've noticed that trend of 60p autofocus being better, usually much better, with every camera I've owned. 

Well, for a MILC, AF performance should correlate with the sampling rate, so you would expect 60p to be better.

17 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Plenty of pans and tilts here. Seems nice for handheld. There's a bit of the drag and catch up, but some of it is very smooth and nothing like what was originally plaguing the g85. I'm guessing this is fine for the state of ibis today even compared to other cameras? Also, the steady shots are great.

Yes....with a slightly slower pan the motion will look great....one of the most overlooked aspects that's important in a camera, unless one shoots everything locked off....this camera is very far beyond the GH4 in every way!

17 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Hanriverprod, here's a pan I just did in the house. If you're still seeing a jerking motion when the pan begins, you're definitely seeing something I can't see. It's very smooth and any lack of smoothness during the pan is due to the nature of hand-held panning. There's no trace of 'sticking' at the beginning of the pan, as occurred with the pre-firmware G85 update.

Ken...are your hands that steady or is it the IBS doing such a good job?:glasses::glasses:

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh My God!! The X3000 just kicks the other two cameras Ass! Hell even the color is better. Look at the Sky on the X3000 Jesus. I think DR maybe even be as good.  I Have got to get one of those!

For stabilisation, yes the X3000 is as good as I've seen. Colour: No, that is on vibrant setting. It has red, green, blue colours and uses them. The other cameras have vibrant settings too, just not used here. DR: ohhh, you're pulling my leg. And the sad thing is I got all the way through this comment before twigging. :p Still worth getting one though, very fun.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

For stabilisation, yes the X3000 is as good as I've seen. Colour: No, that is on vibrant setting. It has red, green, blue colours and uses them. The other cameras have vibrant settings too, just not used here. DR: ohhh, you're pulling my leg. And the sad thing is I got all the way through this comment before twigging. :p Still worth getting one though, very fun.

Yeah after reading reviews of it I can see Vivid is Way over the top colors wise. And yeah its not a Arri DR wise. But I can see it is hands down the best action camera there is out there.

Is the x3000 the lastest and greatest one Sony has?? I can see getting one myself for sure.

So with all the negativity over auto focus and inferences (by some) that the GH5 isn't a good choice for vlogging (etc) it's very cool to see that pretty much the king of professional vlogging - Casey Neistat - is now using a GH5. He's a long time Canon and Sony fan so I assumed he wouldn't ever change.

Was funny as I was watching today's vlog and kept thinking; "ooh the quality on this one is so nice and different - wonder which Sony or Canon he's using".. then find out in the comments it's a GH5! Stood out to me when he was on the skateboard. Assuming he's using the 7-14mm perhaps.

Must admit it's surprising as he uses auto focus a lot and some of his gear has amazing AF performance (far beyond the GH5) so it must be doing a lot right for how he is using it.

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Yes....with a slightly slower pan the motion will look great....one of the most overlooked aspects that's important in a camera, unless one shoots everything locked off....this camera is very far beyond the GH4 in every way!

Ken...are your hands that steady or is it the IBS doing such a good job?:glasses::glasses:

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Fritz, I do admit to being pretty steady, but the IBIS surely helps a great deal. With my prior Sonys with IBIS and/or OIS (A7Rii & A6300), my steadiness was compromised by the Sony's jitter. The GH5's IBIS is really worlds better.

33 minutes ago, JamesAllenVisual said:

So with all the negativity over auto focus and inferences (by some) that the GH5 isn't a good choice for vlogging (etc) it's very cool to see that pretty much the king of professional vlogging - Casey Neistat - is now using a GH5. He's a long time Canon and Sony fan so I assumed he wouldn't ever change.

Was funny as I was watching today's vlog and kept thinking; "ooh the quality on this one is so nice and different - wonder which Sony or Canon he's using".. then find out in the comments it's a GH5! Stood out to me when he was on the skateboard. Assuming he's using the 7-14mm perhaps.

Must admit it's surprising as he uses auto focus a lot and some of his gear has amazing AF performance (far beyond the GH5) so it must be doing a lot right for how he is using it.

That's pretty funny when a guy like him uses the GH5 with all of the AF naysaying. It's also funny that the AF worked far better for him than it ever did for Max. In fact if you've seen some of his other videos, he's gotten far worse results with other cameras. I guess he's another guy that got a pretty good one. ;)

Unlike Photo Joseph, Zed ProMedia is familiar with both the Fuji X-T2 and Sony a6500. I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but when I was out vlogging  with the G85 yesterday, I lost a few shots because with the camera set to AFS and using tap to focus, even though my large unsightly head filled 3/4 of the screen, the camera kept focusing on the background, so I had to resort to manual focus for the rest of the day. Sure, manual focus is great, but when you're by yourself and you just want the camera to... ?. I also hope the buttons on the clickwheel of the GH5 are raised more than on the G85, because with the camera pointed at my head, reaching around the back to adjust WB is a herculean task. It's even difficult when I'm behind the camera. Someone please tell me the buttons aren't too shallow.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah after reading reviews of it I can see Vivid is Way over the top colors wise. And yeah its not a Arri DR wise. But I can see it is hands down the best action camera there is out there.

Is the x3000 the lastest and greatest one Sony has?? I can see getting one myself for sure.

I think it's the latest, yes. Needs a u3 card for 4k and can't zoom in 4k. Only vivid and standard. Kinda poor low light. Blows highlights easily. BUT, I think it's brilliant. Doesn't overheat despite heating up like crazy, can recharge or power via usb, best stabilisation on market. Small! It's a sony handycam but so small! Use phone as monitor, connects within a couple of seconds, nice full screen HQ monitoring, long range. I've stuck on some duct tape to shade the lens protector a bit. The chinese 3 sucker mounts are kinda better than the sony one despite not being as long lasting. Action cams didn't impress me at all until the x3000 came along. 

23 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, yeah, lighting in venues like this is often odd and on the dim side. Couple that with a slow lens and a further reduction in available light as the result of zooming, doesn't provide the ideal recipe for the best skin tones. 

I had noise reduction at default (I never use intelligent resolution), but it would have been interesting to dial it all the way down. 

But given the conditions and a slow zoom, I was actually pretty happy with the results. For the record, it looked far better on my 65" OLED than on my 5K IMac.  

And the GH4 wouldn't get anywhere near it, that's for sure. 

6 hours ago, tugela said:

Dude....just tape the Canon logo over the name plate and all will be fine and the footage will look fantastic. Really, its that simple! ;)

They are not misquoting you. They are disagreeing with what they understood you to be saying. If you meant something other than what they understood you to mean, then perhaps you should rephrase it to make it clearer rather than attacking them. You are the one who is acting defensively when faced with someone having an opinion different from yourself.

They literally put words I didn't say into quotes. What are they teaching you at school these days? Before jumping into conversations, take a moment, just a moment, to try and understand what's going on before injecting your opinion. Just google "quotes". Now I understand how fake news gets spread these days. I'm not going to respond to this anymore, because frankly, I think it's ridiculous. If you are still confused about how to use quotes just pm me. I majored in literature at the University of Michigan and have been writing professionally for over twenty years. I will attempt to explain clearly and succinctly the proper usage of quotes if you need me to, but I think we should stop discussing this here.

As far as staying on topic, I agree with you panny can take some things from Canon and it's probably not just the logo just as Canon can learn a few things from the others. Am I doing it right?

edit: Jon, if you find this tedious like I do, just delete it.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Unlike Photo Joseph, Zed ProMedia is familiar with both the Fuji X-T2 and Sony a6500. I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but when I was out vlogging  with the G85 yesterday, I lost a few shots because with the camera set to AFS and using tap to focus, even though my large unsightly head filled 3/4 of the screen, the camera kept focusing on the background, so I had to resort to manual focus for the rest of the day. Sure, manual focus is great, but when you're by yourself and you just want the camera to... ?. I also hope the buttons on the clickwheel of the GH5 are raised more than on the G85, because with the camera pointed at my head, reaching around the back to adjust WB is a herculean task. It's even difficult when I'm behind the camera. Someone please tell me the buttons aren't too shallow.

Jon, I can tell you first hand, owning both, the GH5 has much better AF than the G85. The funny thing is, what you experienced I've also had happen with both the Sony A6300 & A7Rii. It would absolutely amaze me that someones head could fill up 1/2 to 2/3rds of the frame, and the camera would still insist on focusing on the background. I guess all these cameras can do that at the most inopportune time...except maybe the Canons? Never used em.

And hey, why were you readjusting WB after hitting record? Did the lighting change that much? ;)

Isn't there a law in Vietnam about adjusting WB and vlogging at the same time?

6 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Jon, I can tell you first hand, owning both, the GH5 has much better AF than the G85. The funny thing is, what you experienced I've also had happen with both the Sony A6300 & A7Rii. It would absolutely amaze me that someones head could fill up 1/2 to 2/3rds of the frame, and the camera would still insist on focusing on the background. I guess all these cameras can do that at the most inopportune time...except maybe the Canons? Never used em.

And hey, why were you readjusting WB after hitting record? Did the lighting change that much? ;)

Isn't there a law in Vietnam about adjusting WB and vlogging at the same time?

?? Each time the lighting changes, I reset the WB, focus, then hit record.

7 hours ago, JamesAllenVisual said:

Nicest looking vlog from him ever? Looks like he's running around with a RED. Very nice. You can see how he frames subjects he wants in focus like his face. I see he's still a silly SJW though. If you're on a plane, follow the instructions from the captain and people with security badges. End of story.