Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Actually I should say afc in photo mode is great. Daniel Cox just finishing a big test on it.

I still believe tap-to-focus is the key to settle down the remaining AF issues, even though, there will surely be a sweet spot for the settings to make it work out, if not always much more than the situations reported.

8 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

The g85 had that weird jerky motion with ibis that they "fixed" with a firmware. It's rearing its head with the gh5? Af is dodgy and this reviewer says ibis is questionable as well. I wonder if it can do simple slow handheld pans or tilts with the ibis without that drag and then jump to catch up motion. I would like to see the movement from a static shot to the move and then back to a static shot. If all this new tech has kinks I hope the 10bit color in v-log and 4k 60p is worth it at this price and that sensor.

There is absolutely no issue with doing pans with the GH5's IBIS and there is no jerk as I saw in the early G85 pre-firmware update. Man, how one guy, who doesn't bother to learn his camera, can start this stuff, amazing. Now the GH5's IBIS, that everyone prior had loved, is crap. He's a funny guy, but trust me, that doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. Yikes!

Here's a very quick video I slapped together the other day at the new Nassau Colliseum. This is all hand-held and the first video clip shows a pan. There was no jerk at the beginning of the clip, but it was extremely windy. Normally I'd just edit over with music, but this wasn't to be a masterpiece or a saved work by any measure. The point was to see how the GH5 did in a real world, low light situation. ISOs went up to about 1600 or a bit more in spots within the arena and where the face painting was being done. And just as a point of confession (Jon, are you listening?;)), I did add a bit of sharpening in post for the one shot you see here. I thought it was a bit soft, since the 14-140 was at max aperture in low light (another no no, going full zoom in low light). In looking at this on my OLED, I added too much sharpening and probably didn't have to add any at all.

18 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

There is absolutely no issue with doing pans with the GH5's IBIS and there is no jerk as I saw in the early G85 pre-firmware update. Man, how one guy, who doesn't bother to learn his camera, can start this stuff, amazing. Now the GH5's IBIS, that everyone prior had loved, is crap. He's a funny guy, but trust me, that doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. Yikes!

Here's a very quick video I slapped together the other day at the new Nassau Colliseum. This is all hand-held and the first video clip shows a pan. There was no jerk at the beginning of the clip, but it was extremely windy. Normally I'd just edit over with music, but this wasn't to be a masterpiece or a saved work by any measure. The point was to see how the GH5 did in a real world, low light situation. ISOs went up to about 1600 or a bit more in spots within the arena and where the face painting was being done. And just as a point of confession (Jon, are you listening?;)), I did add a bit of sharpening in post for the one shot you see here. I thought it was a bit soft, since the 14-140 was at max aperture in low light (another no no, going full zoom in low light). In looking at this on my OLED, I added too much sharpening and probably didn't have to add any at all.

Looks fine to me, especially with all that wind.The little boy at the end looks pretty worried. :) 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Looks fine to me, especially with all that wind.The little boy at the end looks pretty worried. :) 

Thanks, Jon. I was laughing at that too, Jon! He wanted no part of the face painting and only submitted to hand painting. Pretty funny.

And Jon, you're terrified of new cameras too! JK. 

Actually I just recalled when we had our son do the face painting thing. He was 5, but when he saw his face in the mirror, he got hysterical crying. My wife and I did our best to not show him we were laughing. 

8 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Appreciate you sharing this but I still see the jerky movement in the first slow wide pan. You say it's the wind, but I noticed this before on slower pans with ibis on, so until someone posts something with slow pan starting with a static shot and ending with one, I will hold off forming an opinion about this. I think the handheld steady shots is enough to consider the camera. Although I also remember people complaining about micro jitters with some of their lenses. It's hard to keep track of the state of old and new issues. I hope they sorted it out, because I would like to pick one up as we find out what the 10 bit offers in a color grade. Again, thanks for taking the time to share your footage.

13 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I'll try to get to doing another pan in the next day or so under better conditions. I really don't see this as an issue and I can't recall anyone else commenting on it with GH5 footage. But we've learned that everyone sees different things. ;)

The inside shots were the same as one of my interior photos the other day. A strange plasticy look to skin tone. I turned off noise reduction and intelligent res and DR afterwards and seems to have fixed it. Contrast AF through an ND filter using vlog is impossible. Once I get a handle on the autofocus rack thing I think that will sort things. 

Orangenz, yeah, lighting in venues like this is often odd and on the dim side. Couple that with a slow lens and a further reduction in available light as the result of zooming, doesn't provide the ideal recipe for the best skin tones. 

I had noise reduction at default (I never use intelligent resolution), but it would have been interesting to dial it all the way down. 

But given the conditions and a slow zoom, I was actually pretty happy with the results. For the record, it looked far better on my 65" OLED than on my 5K IMac.  

3 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Appreciate you sharing this but I still see the jerky movement in the first slow wide pan. You say it's the wind, but I noticed this before on slower pans with ibis on, so until someone posts something with slow pan starting with a static shot and ending with one, I will hold off forming an opinion about this. I think the handheld steady shots is enough to consider the camera. Although I also remember people complaining about micro jitters with some of their lenses. It's hard to keep track of the state of old and new issues. I hope they sorted it out, because I would like to pick one up as we find out what the 10 bit offers in a color grade. Again, thanks for taking the time to share your footage.

Hanriverprod, here's a pan I just did in the house. If you're still seeing a jerking motion when the pan begins, you're definitely seeing something I can't see. It's very smooth and any lack of smoothness during the pan is due to the nature of hand-held panning. There's no trace of 'sticking' at the beginning of the pan, as occurred with the pre-firmware G85 update.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

Hanriverprod, here's a pan I just did in the house. If you're still seeing a jerking motion when the pan begins, you're definitely seeing something I can't see. It's very smooth and any lack of smoothness during the pan is due to the nature of hand-held panning. There's no trace of 'sticking' at the beginning of the pan, as occurred with the pre-firmware G85 update.

Nice. Yeah, it looks fine handheld even at that speed. You guys are great for taking the time to provide samples like this. Thank you.

edit*: only camera I owned was g85 when it had that problem, the reason I was skeptical about the tech. Again, it seems worth it for the steady handheld shots alone.

5 hours ago, dbp said:

Just a general observation I've noticed with GH5 videos so far. Many of them seem to be shot at 60p. I wonder if that framerate slowly end up becoming more popular.

Dear god I hope not. It's of course personal taste but it looks as bad to me as watching TV with Intelligent Frame Creation. 

But it explains why some people say auto focus is fine and others say it'sbad. Today's Newsshooter short review also says that AF is a lot better in 60p than in 24p. I would guess most people will only use UHD 60p to create slow motion (also seeing how 24p 10bit is internal but 60p 10bit needs external recording).

Some of the newer stuff coming out really shows nice images. I think Panasonic really delivered a great camera and I'm looking forward to see how the coming firmware updates improve on it further.

iPhondo ran this same comparison https://youtu.be/8WD9C3C2koU?t=9m13s1) The entire lens and sensor system in that camera is floating. Small sensor, DR is not so good. 

2) I don't think any camera has as good stabilisation as the x3000,

3) The wide angle lens reduces the visible effect of shake so a fair comparison would be with a super wide lens on the GH5 too.

4) The central handle used would reduce vertical motion but allow sideways motion due to its axis of rotation. A different way of holding the GH5 for walking shots is recommended for testing.

Conclusion: There is some noticeable lateral motion from walking picked up by the GH5. As vertical motion is well damped the sideways motion can become obvious sometimes. This effect seems mostly due to a poorly controlled walking style or handle that allows the camera to rotate sideways. As it is, the GH5 IBIS is significantly better stabilisation than many other cameras, including the iPhondo’s actual blogging camera, the RX100.