Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

I'm still finding central area focusing works the best. That central area can also be moved anywhere you like. I found it impossible to watch that 45 minute video from Peter. This info could have been distilled down to 5-10 minutes. 

I also don't understand why he thinks 225 points 'has the most power' as he said in a previous video. What good is the 225 points when the camera decides where it wants to focus in that mode?

He means well, he's harmless, but dang, he sure likes to hear himself talk. ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I'm still finding central area focusing works the best. That central area can also be moved anywhere you like. I found it impossible to watch that 45 minute video from Peter. This info could have been distilled down to 5-10 minutes. 

I also don't understand why he thinks 225 points 'has the most power' as he said in a previous video. What good is the 225 points when the camera decides where it wants to focus in that mode?

yeah, he's long-winded as all get out, and just like Max Yuryev and Joseph, one video isn't enough. he says that a Panasonic rep whom he can't name told him the best settings, or something like that. No wonder Jingles is always sleeping through his videos.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

As Jon said, the man is stuck on the brand rep almost as much as that board where his lesson on the word confidance makes me feel much more confiante in my mother language as non-native English speaker :-D

49 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

"Panasonic GH5 vs Canon 5D Mark IV 4K!!!!"

gh5 colors seem improved and close to Canon. Slo-mo is nice.

Last week...

a fellow countryman of mine had published this comparison test shot almost side by side my Lisbon office BTW (no idea if already posted here):

13 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I think you mean "1-Area"? That's the one that works for me. You can change the size of it and location. 

Yeah being succinct takes a lot of work without the payoff of screen time. It's also hard to make a video without mistakes. So maybe people give up on both and end up watching Stronz for the nice voice.

15 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I think you mean "1-Area"? That's the one that works for me. You can change the size of it and location. 

Yeah being succinct takes a lot of work without the payoff of screen time. It's also hard to make a video without mistakes. So maybe people give up on both and end up watching Stronz for the nice voice.

BTW, once you have one GH5 unit too, would you mind to perform the test I've also asked to Ken? It would be nice to check out the findings from both of you :-)

17 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Yeah, 1 area, but I was trying to differentiate from the 'spot' focus.

I respect your position, JP. I really do. You obviously prefer newer technologies to solve your video-related problems.

There's just a small concern with that: these new hybrid MILC/DLSRs are not a mature technology.

There will be problems with video AF because that's not their primary function.

Yet, it's remarkable just how much they have advanced in the last five years. For that, I commend savvy engineers at Canon, Sony, Pana, etc.

For ME, for my personal work-related needs, they are not usable. Yet.

I still prefer a trusty video camera that does not hunt around in AF mode and is easier to operate. They are a much more mature technology.

Hope that was clear and we can agree to disagree. Cheers.

32 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Bloggers don't like it :O 

He's both irritating and a little funny at the same time. Maybe a little obnoxious. But... when he's vlogging out on the street, if it were me, I'd just put the camera in manual focus and use the AF lock button to focus on my face, and there wouldn't be any hunting at all. I've done it - no need for AF-C there. Also, when he's sitting behind his desk, I'd use AF-S and tap my face on the iPad. No more drifting. I did that for a recent ten-minute video, and with a 12mm lens set at f/4-5.6, everything stayed sharp the entire time. Anyhow, he doesn't neglect to point out the hoops he has to go through to make the Sony work. I'm not sure about the stabilization issues he's having - I use a gimbal when I'm out on the street. As far as charging the battery through the USB port, that would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me. He says battery life dropped thirty percent or so after 20 minutes of just going through the menu, I don't find that so exceptionally terrible at all. As far as UHS II card readers, he says his laptop is slow and he had to buy a reader, but that's no fault of the camera. I'm still on the fence at the moment, I've been thinking of cancelling my preorder, but if I did, it wouldn't necessarily be because of the autofocus - it would have more to do with the fact that spending more money on a new camera isn't going to magically make my videos any more compelling.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

The g85 had that weird jerky motion with ibis that they "fixed" with a firmware. It's rearing its head with the gh5? Af is dodgy and this reviewer says ibis is questionable as well. I wonder if it can do simple slow handheld pans or tilts with the ibis without that drag and then jump to catch up motion. I would like to see the movement from a static shot to the move and then back to a static shot. If all this new tech has kinks I hope the 10bit color in v-log and 4k 60p is worth it at this price and that sensor.

@jonpais

it would have more to do with the fact that spending more money on a new camera isn't going to magically make my videos any more compelling.

That's it! BTW: I like your portrait shootings, specially composition, skin tones and general settings, as currently done with your gx85.

I would wish a story...a story about the people or locations you're filming...something narrative, making your beautiful and balanced images even more beautiful...People telling their story - there are no banal stories out there, dumb reviews solely fixed on imagery (IQ) are banal and boring. Engaging stories about people and locations (special places in Vietnam?) are much more interesting for your audience than 5.000 boring reviews on the same subject/camera. Don't rely on the "love" of gear heads, use your talent in portraiture to tell stories (with voice over) about real life and real people and locations. It could be a harder way at the beginning, but it will last longer...Just my 2 cents...

2 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@jonpais

That's it! BTW: I like your portrait shootings, specially composition, skin tones and general settings, as currently done with your gx85.

I would wish a story...a story about the people or locations you're filming...something narrative, making your beautiful and balanced images even more beautiful...People telling their story - there are no banal stories out there, dumb reviews solely fixed on imagery (IQ) are banal and boring. Engaging stories about people and locations (special places in Vietnam?) are much more interesting for your audience than 5.000 boring reviews on the same subject/camera. Don't rely on the "love" of gear heads, use your talent in portraiture to tell stories (with voice over) about real life and real people and locations. It could be a harder way at the beginning, but it will last longer...Just my 2 cents...

Agreed. I did do a couple of dumb documentaries a while back, but I should try telling stories. My two goals when I retired were (a) to start vlogging and (b) to start making some 2-3 minute shorts for YT. And aside from a really short field test of Acros simulation with the X-T2, I haven't really shown the environment at all. So those are just a couple of the many things I have to work on.

13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Agreed. I did do a couple of dumb documentaries a while back, but I should try telling stories. My two goals when I retired were (a) to start vlogging and (b) to start making some 2-3 minute shorts for YT. And aside from a really short field test of Acros simulation with the X-T2, I haven't really shown the environment at all. So those are just a couple of the many things I have to work on.

There are no "dumb" documentaries in my eyes...A documentary mostly tells a story...

It's quite hard to do 2-3 minutes shorts...It's an art to do a self-contained and explaining story in this short time...BTW: Don't believe the claim "films longer than 2-3 minutes are useless because people don't watch them". It's an ignorant lie - may be relevant for news, selfish corporate image films or commercials, but not for good stories...

6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

The world is not all lost, after all (well, only the 1st one is mine :-D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z13rwplrhlfzztpyz04chxzyhqyfcfxhlkw0k

"To begin with, you'd use the brains to make a choice, same thing where you want the focus, then you'd lock it. Now seems simple, isn't it? ;-) This camera is not for people who don't understand a shit about it. But, apart the appearances (we all bet you don't speak all the time like that), when we go deep in your review, it's not hard to get you are not a moron, so what's up when you're unable to find a way? Did you test tap-to-focus by any chance? What will Matt Frazer think of you when you'll see each other next time?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z12yxly43ozispyw004ccziy2onatvfj2bw

"The GH5 is not made for VLOG and selfies... Get a Canon 70D at $800 for that and you'll be happy with the AF. People who spend $2k for the GH5 do it for the image quality and bit depth, they'll use manual focus (peaking) or lock AF anyway. (...)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z12yxly43ozispyw004ccziy2onatvfj2bw.1491808591358142

"V-Log works perfectly on mine. I dont like the stabilisation but the rest ist just wonderfull. even the AF is very good. its a prosumer camera so you have to choose settings. if you change the 225 focus modus to center you get better results as the rx100, i´m sure about that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z13bjzc4avn4ed3pn04cjbliwx3tjfzhiao

"I think its obvious you shot in the 225 mode and that the problem. the sony focuses whatever is in the center, you can do the same with the gh5 if you choose center focus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z13qfj1gjonqit2xo04ce1jyluqzyrl4ifc

"Just curious, you have a tablet on the table. Why dont you use the app to set the focus and have it set to a fixed point? I do that with the GH4 and works out great!"

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

He's both irritating and a little funny at the same time. Maybe a little obnoxious. But... when he's vlogging out on the street, if it were me, I'd just put the camera in manual focus and use the AF lock button to focus on my face, and there wouldn't be any hunting at all. I've done it - no need for AF-C there. Also, when he's sitting behind his desk, I'd use AF-S and tap my face on the iPad. No more drifting. I did that for a recent ten-minute video, and with a 12mm lens set at f/4-5.6, everything stayed sharp the entire time. Anyhow, he doesn't neglect to point out the hoops he has to go through to make the Sony work. I'm not sure about the stabilization issues he's having - I use a gimbal when I'm out on the street. As far as charging the battery through the USB port, that would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me. He says battery life dropped thirty percent or so after 20 minutes of just going through the menu, I don't find that so exceptionally terrible at all. As far as UHS II card readers, he says his laptop is slow and he had to buy a reader, but that's no fault of the camera. I'm still on the fence at the moment, I've been thinking of cancelling my preorder, but if I did, it wouldn't necessarily be because of the autofocus - it would have more to do with the fact that spending more money on a new camera isn't going to magically make my videos any more compelling.

Great post, Jon! Nice to read you :-)

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Quite sincerely, your eyes go beyond YT : ) The way you film the little Vietnam I've seen. Even sound design, as for instance. Recalls my imaginary on Vietnam history through the best of American cinema. Word. The care you put to shoot it too. Not only as director, but as DoP / operator. Without mention the way you post here. That is, your ideário in my native language, set of ideas, kinda ideology, in English. You can target your work for big screen IMHO. Your imagetic calls for it.

Just my two cents,

E :-) 

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

The world is not all lost, after all (well, only the 1st one is mine :-D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z13rwplrhlfzztpyz04chxzyhqyfcfxhlkw0k

"To begin with, you'd use the brains to make a choice, same thing where you want the focus, then you'd lock it. Now seems simple, isn't it? ;-) This camera is not for people who don't understand a shit about it. But, apart the appearances (we all bet you don't speak all the time like that), when we go deep in your review, it's not hard to get you are not a moron, so what's up when you're unable to find a way? Did you test tap-to-focus by any chance? What will Matt Frazer think of you when you'll see each other next time?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z12yxly43ozispyw004ccziy2onatvfj2bw

"The GH5 is not made for VLOG and selfies... Get a Canon 70D at $800 for that and you'll be happy with the AF. People who spend $2k for the GH5 do it for the image quality and bit depth, they'll use manual focus (peaking) or lock AF anyway. (...)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z12yxly43ozispyw004ccziy2onatvfj2bw.1491808591358142

"V-Log works perfectly on mine. I dont like the stabilisation but the rest ist just wonderfull. even the AF is very good. its a prosumer camera so you have to choose settings. if you change the 225 focus modus to center you get better results as the rx100, i´m sure about that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z13bjzc4avn4ed3pn04cjbliwx3tjfzhiao

"I think its obvious you shot in the 225 mode and that the problem. the sony focuses whatever is in the center, you can do the same with the gh5 if you choose center focus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD9C3C2koU&lc=z13qfj1gjonqit2xo04ce1jyluqzyrl4ifc

"Just curious, you have a tablet on the table. Why dont you use the app to set the focus and have it set to a fixed point? I do that with the GH4 and works out great!"

Great post, Jon! Nice to read you :-)

I'd add

- When you have things at default, the sonys make afc look much better. Panasonic needs to center weight as the default!

- Try using 1-area af. Panasonic should probably label this as VIDEO FOCUS and have it as default or something for video shooting. That's if their AFC implementation of all the other settings are going to stay as flaky. 

- AFC is mostly flaky in most other settings. This will need firmware support. Why? Because the problem isn't with the hardware. Photos use AF and the GH5 is probably the fastest on the planet. AFC is the camera knowing when to make changes. Saying the AF is bad is missing the point about AFC. A lot of the discussions on youtube conflate afc into af inaccurately. 

- Matt is put down a bit by the commenters. But as I said above, the AF is extremely fast and matt was saying the truth. If you take photos you can see how fast it is. So the trouble is somewhere else in the afc process. At 3:29 iphondo says clearly that the AFS is extremely fast! It is faster for photos and videos. MUCH faster. But the AFC problems are not about speed. 

- A mistake is at 16:28 where the text of the instruction book is misunderstood. Granted the translation is not the best. It is actually just stating that with the two adjustments you can make to the af settings you can actually get them fighting each other if set to extremes in certain environments. It is not saying the AF is bad. iphondo makes this the reason for sending the camera back which is a bit silly. 

- Agree on the battery life, got myself a couple more batteries for 5 now. 

- And with regards to the stabilisation, 1) the x3000 uses the best floating lens-sensor on the market. Put ANY camera up against that please. 2) Weird looking sway for sure. I don't have the 12-35 but I'll try the same camera combo tomorrow. Fun! Hopefully I'll have the camera focussed correctly not at 30cm like in the video. Also going to compare the GX85 at some point. 

14 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I'd add

- When you have things at default, the sonys make afc look much better. Panasonic needs to center weight as the default!

- Try using 1-area af. Panasonic should probably label this as VIDEO FOCUS and have it as default or something for video shooting. That's if their AFC implementation of all the other settings are going to stay as flaky. 

- AFC is mostly flaky in most other settings. This will need firmware support. Why? Because the problem isn't with the hardware. Photos use AF and the GH5 is probably the fastest on the planet. AFC is the camera knowing when to make changes. Saying the AF is bad is missing the point about AFC. A lot of the discussions on youtube conflate afc into af inaccurately. 

- Matt is put down a bit by the commenters. But as I said above, the AF is extremely fast and matt was saying the truth. If you take photos you can see how fast it is. So the trouble is somewhere else in the afc process. At 3:29 iphondo says clearly that the AFS is extremely fast! It is faster for photos and videos. MUCH faster. But the AFC problems are not about speed. 

- A mistake is at 16:28 where the text of the instruction book is misunderstood. Granted the translation is not the best. It is actually just stating that with the two adjustments you can make to the af settings you can actually get them fighting each other if set to extremes in certain environments. It is not saying the AF is bad. iphondo makes this the reason for sending the camera back which is a bit silly. 

- Agree on the battery life, got myself a couple more batteries for 5 now. 

- And with regards to the stabilisation, 1) the x3000 uses the best floating lens-sensor on the market. Put ANY camera up against that please. 2) Weird looking sway for sure. I don't have the 12-35 but I'll try the same camera combo tomorrow. Fun! Hopefully I'll have the camera focussed correctly not at 30cm like in the video. Also going to compare the GX85 at some point. 

Thanks man! We'll follow it up...