Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

32 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The patient has a fever. No! You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to take his temperature under the armpit! No! Put it in his mouth! Wrong! On his forehead! What are you doing? You're supposed to put the thermometer up his ass!

I take it you have seen "Idiocracy"?  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Disclaimer: I dont have the camera, Im not saying its good or bad. I haven't watched Max, Kens or any other AF test. Personally I would never use AF anyway. Its to slow and imprecise for my way of doing things.

So this comment is not about the AF in the GH5, its about AF in general.

But, If it really comes down to "learning" how to use the AF its at least safe to say its not great.

Ive said the same thing about WB in Sony Slog. Some say it requires practice and testing. Bullshit imo. A $3K camera that needs special treatment for something so fundamental and simple as WB... thats just a bad WB.

An AF in a $2K camera that needs more fiddling than MF just to get it going... sounds like a pretty mediocre AF imo.

Again, not saying the camera is bad, so take a deep breath before defending. All AF is mediocre at best imo. I dont use AF on any camera. I hardly ever use it for stills (to slow) so I couldn't care less. I was just thinking out loud about what Ive read in this thread. 

There are far more important things to factor when deciding on a camera imo. AF in video isnt at the top of the list. In fact, its not even on the list.

3 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

So like anything it has good and bad qualities. Although after seeing what ml is doing with a 5 year old camera, the images from the gh5 like the gh4 seem videoy and anemic. I'm thinking about picking one up but I'm just being honest with myself about what I could use it for. Although I gotta say the marketing online and the hype is impressive I guess until we see what Sony unveils at NAB.

I own 2 GH4's....although they are "video cameras" as is the Alexa and all Reds and the Sony F 35...I have to say I'm completely baffled by your statement that the GH4 & now 5 looks "videoy" and "anemic"...you're kidding, right!....or is this where we're going next, now, that AF is getting exhausting?

53 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

But, If it really comes down to "learning" how to use the AF its at least safe to say its not great.

Fair enough. Although I'd add that my default for the GH4 has always been the one touch area option if I really wanted to use AF in video. It was slightly frustrating to see Max try everything except for it. And it does work. As a GH4/GH5 user he has given me nothing in those videos. Plus I hate long tech videos.   

53 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

There are far more important things to factor when deciding on a camera imo. AF in video isnt at the top of the list. In fact, its not even on the list.

Yup. Although kinda handy if doing unboxing videos and holding something up to the camera. rx100v does really well at that in the 4 minutes before the camera overheats and the battery goes flat.