Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

@wolf33d, take a look for the best of sources available instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-G3tIhaig

The top comments on YouTube say it all:

"I'm sorry. Love your stuff man but this is plain not good. Anyone who has shot with an A6300/A6500 or dual pixel Canon will know that this is bad. I don't care what setting you have it at...it's not as good as the competition. Plus, in order to have a shot at getting AF on the GH5, you have to test for 30 minutes at all settings while those other cameras just pull it off. It's funny, I watch the people who say "successful AF if you get the settings right" and watch the videos and I still think it sucks compared to the competition. You have to spend 20min testing to get it to the "maybe acceptable" range and that's horrible. The best setting on the GH5 has been worse than any Sony or Canon camera right now. Point to point is awesome but continuous is horrible. I love my GH5 but even the best continuous AF test doesn't come anywhere close to my Sony & Canon cameras. Don't buy this camera for continuous AF. Thankfully, there are about 1,000 other reasons to buy it. Again, really appreciate your videos"

I find it funny that because people buy the camera they need to defend it to convince themselves they did good spending 2K. Let's face it, the AF of GH5 is far from competition and this is not acceptable. 
Now this camera has a lot of amazing stuff and I am getting it (give it a chance) but let's be honest about the cons. 

3 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

What does a camera manufacturer being competitive with other brands in terms of af have to do with manual focus?

Not sure, does it have something to do with long battery life, not over heating, 10bit 422 in camera, dual ibis 2, dual cards, IQ?

44 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

This thread would be a lot easier if you'd tag yourselves as being pro max (he can do no wrong) or pro gh5 (he can do no wrong) or maybe that 3rd option no one is interested in that the "GH5 smacks everything else down in many areas, is equal in many others, but only a bit better (ohhh there's an argument) than the GH4 on AF and we guessed that (well JP did anyway) absolutely ages ago" group. I think Max does a lot of weddings and leaving AF on - set and forget - is really important to him and presumably many others.

Not pro or con anything. Just won't stand idly by when people are attacking Max's integrity. 

18 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

"I'm sorry. Love your stuff man but this is plain not good. Anyone who has shot with an A6300/A6500 or dual pixel Canon will know that this is bad. I don't care what setting you have it at...it's not as good as the competition. Plus, in order to have a shot at getting AF on the GH5, you have to test for 30 minutes at all settings while those other cameras just pull it off. It's funny, I watch the people who say "successful AF if you get the settings right" and watch the videos and I still think it sucks compared to the competition. You have to spend 20min testing to get it to the "maybe acceptable" range and that's horrible. The best setting on the GH5 has been worse than any Sony or Canon camera right now. Point to point is awesome but continuous is horrible. I love my GH5 but even the best continuous AF test doesn't come anywhere close to my Sony & Canon cameras. Don't buy this camera for continuous AF. Thankfully, there are about 1,000 other reasons to buy it. Again, really appreciate your videos"

I find it funny that because people buy the camera they need to defend it to convince themselves they did good spending 2K. Let's face it, the AF of GH5 is far from competition and this is not acceptable. 
Now this camera has a lot of amazing stuff and I am getting it (give it a chance) but let's be honest about the cons. 

Well, maybe the guy needs to improve his skills as camera operator? What do you know of the user as shooter?

Does GH5 prone to require a skilled cameraman or camerawoman? For sure.

Do Canon and Sony have better AF outcome? Very likely, straight out the box and for their superior technology used for AF.

Will this stop anyone to buy it? Thousands of them because of disinformation and lack of depth on topic.

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

You just said it was not acceptable and then you said you're getting it which by definition means you are accepting it? So to clarify (because I agree my rx100v AF seems way more stable and fast when using "face detect") you are confusing "defending it" with a far more useful "this is how you get the best from it." I know for my shooting needs video AF is definitely way down the list of things I genuinely look for. Battery life, not overheating, unlimited record - if you don't have these making videos is like pecking your eyes out.  

Just now, Orangenz said:

Not sure, does it have something to do with long battery life, not over heating, 10bit 422 in camera, dual ibis 2, dual cards, IQ?

So like anything it has good and bad qualities. Although after seeing what ml is doing with a 5 year old camera, the images from the gh5 like the gh4 seem videoy and anemic. I'm thinking about picking one up but I'm just being honest with myself about what I could use it for. Although I gotta say the marketing online and the hype is impressive I guess until we see what Sony unveils at NAB.

59 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Not pro or con anything. Just won't stand idly by when people are attacking Max's integrity. 

I hope you never had inferred that from my position because I've seen you to defend him but you never saw me to bash his honest efforts, I sincerely believe. Otherwise, I've been with you on that one. Generalizations can be a bitch. This also applies to everyone. As Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, we're entitled to have our own opinion, just not our own facts. Pity, people tend to forget it and take themselves in more than their own account.

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Well I fail to see how EP was attacking maxies integ with the comment you ignored him on. Anyway, it's pretty clear, the GH5 af is best on single area. And it doesn't behave like the rx100v at all in the other settings. I thought it would be better. Everyone can probably move on though until Pana do an update. ALthougH... maybe I should do an AF video....

The patient has a fever. No! You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to take his temperature under the armpit! No! Put it in his mouth! Wrong! On his forehead! What are you doing? You're supposed to put the thermometer up his ass!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I respect this man so much. 

Jon, I largely agree, but in the face of so many posted videos flying in the face of his results, I'm shocked that he continues to downplay the odds of him having a bad unit. 

On another note, it's stunning the number of child-like Sony trolling fanboys on his site. I find myself being attacked simply because I provided video evidence that not all GH5s are the same. 

Aint the internet great?

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

The patient has a fever. No! You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to take his temperature under the armpit! No! Put it in his mouth! Wrong! On his forehead! What are you doing? You're supposed to put the thermometer up his ass!

You're a prophet. I thought it would be better on it though. And bit concerned about battery life. Otherwise killer camera x 10

2 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Jon, I largely agree, but in the face of so many posted videos flying in the face of his results, I'm shocked that he continues to downplay the odds of him having a bad unit. 

But he went ahead and got another one for comparison

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

This thread would be a lot easier if you'd tag yourselves as being pro max (he can do no wrong) or pro gh5 (he can do no wrong) or maybe that 3rd option no one is interested in that the "GH5 smacks everything else down in many areas, is equal in many others, but only a bit better (ohhh there's an argument) than the GH4 on AF and we guessed that (well JP did anyway) absolutely ages ago" group. I think Max does a lot of weddings and leaving AF on - set and forget - is really important to him and presumably many others.

Yet he claims he's still likely to buy 3. I actually thought he said he uses MF more often in his work. 

In my native country, there's an old saying which wonders if someone's bad is from the trousers or the ass...

I don't think his new unit will save his grace other than keeping his integrity, I hope.

This taboo on the skills required to perform a task vs lack of them puzzles me... Copy that.

31 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I just can't understand why some can't accept that some owners are getting far different results than Max. I've personally demonstrated this no less than 4 times. There are many other videos on the net that illustrate this. Many.

This has nothing whatever to do with 'defending' a purchase. However I think many in the anti-GH5 crowd are defending their current equipment. ;)

32 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

On another note, it's stunning the number of child-like Sony trolling fanboys on his site. I find myself being attacked simply because I provided video evidence that not all GH5s are the same. 

Aint the internet great?

No worries, Ken. We have no need to go out of here to mercilessly be under attack... LOL ;-)

17 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I just can't understand why some can't accept that some owners are getting far different results than Max. I've personally demonstrated this no less than 4 times. There are many other videos on the net that illustrate this. Many.

This has nothing whatever to do with 'defending' a purchase. However I think many in the anti-GH5 crowd are defending their current equipment. ;)

Moreover, attacking some new camera only to justify the needless compulsion to buy it.

39 minutes ago, jonpais said:

But he went ahead and got another one for comparison

Agreed, but let's face it, it took him a while. He got many posts suggesting his might be defective. With that said, It will be interesting to see what happens with his new unit. If he gets the same results, I'm gonna hit my head against the wall. ;)

Just now, Ken Ross said:

Agreed, but let's face it, it took him a while. He got many posts suggesting his might be defective. With that said, I t will be interesting to see what happens with his new unit. If he gets the same results, I'm gonna hit my head against the wall. ;)

Photo Joseph's already accepted Max's invitation. I think they're on for tomorrow, 9:30 AM. Should be bigger than Fischer/Spassky '72!