Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

6 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks Fritz. The indoor video I shot was taken during heavy rain with no lights on. It was pretty dark in the house. As is the case with almost any video camera, indoors shots under those conditions won't have quite the resolution of brighter, outdoor shots.

Agreed Ken....but because of the lower contrast indoors to my eye the GH5 pulled focus rather seamlessly...speaking of pulling focus...wont have my GH5 for a couple of months but already have the Leica 12-60 because of this capability in the GH5...for narrative work, whether commercial product shots, or feature or television, just one of the examples of how ahead of the curve they are with the GH5!

PS is that the Panny 12-60 in the AF demo?...and do you like it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed Ken....but because of the lower contrast indoors to my eye the GH5 pulled focus rather seamlessly...speaking of pulling focus...wont have my GH5 for a couple of months but already have the Leica 12-60 because of this capability in the GH5...for narrative work, whether commercial product shots, or feature or television, just one of the examples of how ahead of the curve they are with the GH5!

PS is that the Panny 12-60 in the AF demo?...and do you like it?

Fritz, the 12-60 is the only the kit lens that came with my G85.

4 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Fritz, the 12-60 is the only the kit lens that came with my G85.

Thanks Ken...I've been messaging with Jonpais as I was considering getting the G85 for traveling and contemplated getting the Panny 12-60 as the kit...the Leica has to pay for it's  hefty price, but I like the 12-60 focal length of this zoom and in kit form the Panny 12-60 seems worth the $100!

4 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks Fritz. The indoor video I shot was taken during heavy rain with no lights on. It was pretty dark in the house. As is the case with almost any video camera, indoors shots under those conditions won't have quite the resolution of brighter, outdoor shots. What I'm also seeing, for the most part, is that the AF doesn't tend to overshoot. 

Thanks for those tests, Ken. While it's highly improbable Max received two bad lenses, it is entirely possible Max's body is defective. All I really object to are the number of comments that he is biased - after all, he purchased the camera with his own money, he spent hours trying desperately to get it to work, and he stands to lose a considerable amount of money from lost sales by his viewers. To be honest, I've owned five Panasonic cameras myself, and they've all been so reliable, that I could forgive Max for not entertaining the idea that his GH5 might be malfunctioning. It's also important to remember that several other testers have also found the AF unreliable, West Coast Media and Kai to name only two. And Max's tests were reasonably scientific in that anyone should be able to perform the identical tests at home. Anyhow, I was only able to watch your tests on my iPod, but that's reassuring news. Thanks.

55 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks for those tests, Ken. While it's highly improbable Max received two bad lenses, it is entirely possible Max's body is defective. All I really object to are the number of comments that he is biased - after all, he purchased the camera with his own money, he spent hours trying desperately to get it to work, and he stands to lose a considerable amount of money from lost sales by his viewers. To be honest, I've owned five Panasonic cameras myself, and they've all been so reliable, that I could forgive Max for not entertaining the idea that his GH5 might be malfunctioning. It's also important to remember that several other testers have also found the AF unreliable, West Coast Media and Kai to name only two. And Max's tests were reasonably scientific in that anyone should be able to perform the identical tests at home. Anyhow, I was only able to watch your tests on my iPod, but that's reassuring news. Thanks.

Bias is present in everything in life and in the world as we all know, even though, we tend to forget, ignore or deny. We are all biased. We take position, so there we are. You, for example, you defend your perspective on this topic. Bias : )

That said, I don't think he is dishonest, I found him pretty committed to give to his audience the best he can. Paid reviews have another tone. Competent as reviewer? Well, we'll have a distinct matter to discuss then. A malfunctioning unit can't serve as excuse for professionals when AF is presented as used by soccer moms. To barely call it scientific is unscientific. AF use is beyond the usage he recalls in his video. Frankly, I wouldn't hire such shooter, I'm sorry to write it because I appreciate some of his effort indeed. 30 minutes of test would demand much more, though. Barry Green standard, I guess, my bad.

To fulfill the whole cup is variably hard to succeed. But, when we approach some intricate subject, we must try it or we risk to fail. Voilà (if I put the accent in a different language of French, I won't reach to properly write the idiom ; )

E :-)

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Bias is present in everything in life and in the world as we all know, even though, we tend to forget, ignore or deny. We are all biased. We take position, so there we are. You, for example, you defend your perspective on this topic. Bias : )

That said, I don't think he is dishonest, I found him pretty committed to give to his audience the best he can. Paid reviews have another tone. Competent as reviewer? Well, we'll have a distinct matter to discuss then. A malfunctioning unit can't serve as excuse for professionals when AF is presented as used by soccer moms. To barely call it scientific is unscientific. AF use is beyond the usage he recalls in his video. Frankly, I wouldn't hire such shooter, I'm sorry to write it because I appreciate some of his effort indeed. 30 minutes of test would demand much more, though. Barry Green standard, I guess, my bad.

To fulfill the whole cup is variably hard to succeed. But, when we approach some intricate subject, we must try it or we risk to fail. Voilà (if I put the accent in a different language of French, I won't reach to properly write the idiom ; )

E :-)

The one and only time in my life I ever gave someone the benefit of the doubt. Guess I won't make that mistake again.

29 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The one and only time in my life I ever gave someone the benefit of the doubt. Guess I won't commit that error again.

Who? Max Yuryev? Seems legit.

Barry Green is a notable Panasonic man. He's incredibly skilled to find workarounds for (t)his brand flaws. Well, more focused on his dames inside there, the Panasonic professional cameras. Because the infamous DSLRs, mirrorless nowadays or the new terminology DC used by GH5 BTW, are almost some other playground : D less today than yesterday. More biased than his approach is hard to find. His input is invariably outstanding, though.

@Emanuel You keep saying they should use tap-to-focus and AF-S but I fail to see how one would use that one a gimbal? The big advantage of AF in video in my eyes is when you can't actually manually focus (and remote follow focus is really expensive and hard to do as one man crew when it quickly requires a bigger gimbal) and just put in AF-C (maybe even with face detect) and the camera takes care of the focus while you take care of framing and composition.

Yesterday I've watched the "Should the GH5 be compared to a Sony A7sii?" video by Leftcoast Media House and once you notice the autofocus pulsating (the poster in the background goes sharper and softer all the time) you can't unsee it.
If I'd get a GH5 I'd probably prefer using manual focus for the time being.

48 minutes ago, Phil A said:

@Emanuel You keep saying they should use tap-to-focus and AF-S but I fail to see how one would use that one a gimbal? The big advantage of AF in video in my eyes is when you can't actually manually focus (and remote follow focus is really expensive and hard to do as one man crew when it quickly requires a bigger gimbal) and just put in AF-C (maybe even with face detect) and the camera takes care of the focus while you take care of framing and composition

I used tap-to-focus with my Zhiyun Crane, simply from the mobile application. I have a "magic-arm" attached with a clip and the mobile always visible.