Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

I shot the following video with AF only on the A6300 and a came tv single.

This video (due to the short clip lengths and lack of any real focus transition), could have been shot on a manual focus lens with fixed focus  (without transitioning between shots).

Nice edit, btw and nice shots too.

The GH5 seems to have pretty decent AF.  And for something extraordinary, do it yourself via manual focus.

I am looking forward to a lot more video samples from the GH5. I got a chance to play around with it briefly. It has way too many features. And most of them are really stellar. 

On 2.4.2017 at 1:57 AM, hyalinejim said:

My man! First video I've seen where somebody has actually adjusted the knee in the Like709 profile. Some people are very excited about this @Fritz Pierre as the colours seem to look very nice.

What can you tell us about the knee adjustments - does it give better dynamic range?

Also, that vid shows the incredible rolling shutter performance @ 180fps. On another camera the blades would be warped.

Thanks, i would love to help you out but this was my first time using it. But it is very gradable, even at 8Bit. If i ever get to shoot something that doesnt move i will try to do a test 

8 hours ago, Andy J said:

Can you get a 1/2 second shutter on your GH5 and capture that on the Atomos in 10-bit timelapse or is the minimum shutter speed with that setup 1/24 of a second?

Just for clarification, the Atomos has features to capture timelapses just fine. I think I can set the shutter speed to whatever I want. That is what I was doing until now with my Sony A6300. I was saying that I wish I could leave the Atomos behind and only use the new GH5. Which I can't unfortunately due to the codec.

I'd like to see less footage of scenery and more of people. So far, the skin tones look a bit red in most of the GH5 footage I've seen (but maybe all Scottish people are super ruddy?). I'd love to see some side-by-side comparisons of the GH5 vs. Blackmagic Ursa Mini, a proper 4K shootout to compare the color science (without any artsy color grades, slow motion, or raw vlog).

My first couple of tests with the GH5 show that Natural is the best picture profile, as it was on the GH3 also. When everything turned down -3 or -4 (contrast / saturation), there isn't much difference with it's close contender Cinelike D. Mind you, Cinelike D is flatter but also some color tonalities are lost. Especially in the greens.

Cinelike D might show a small improvement in DR, but never more than a (0.5) stop. With Filmconvert applied with it's standard curve, the difference in dynamic range is lost and Natural wins with better colors. Some grass for instance has a yellow tinge to it in real life and on Natural, which just becomes a single colored green on Cinelike D.

So for me it will be Natural as the way to go. Like709 has the best colors out of the box, but not the best DR without tweaking every shot which I'm not going to do when shooting weddings. I didn't get the V-LOG update though so I can't comment on that.

Forget about Portrait, Standard, Vivid, etc. I see no reason to shoot in those profiles as they don't offer any more 'natural' color over Natural and no improvement in DR or gradeabillity whatsoever. 

Then the stabilizer. I'm using a Sigma 18-35 with a SpeedBooster XL, so not supported by the camera. I have to manually input the focal length and naturally I can not make us of Dual IS. My findings are that it works fine for handheld shots which are pretty steady or make a small movement or pan. However, I tried to walk with it on and it mostly gave pretty poor results. Similar to warp stabilizer, it was warping all over the place on the side of my screen. Don't expect miracles if you don't have native lenses is my take on it. Oh yea, and it DRAINS your battery. With the GH3 I could go for hours on a single battery. Today I almost went through a full charge in like 90 minutes.

What else? The 4K at 50p is astounding. The image is chrystal clear without being oversharpened. It's not lacking DR unless you start pushing it with very contrasty situations.The VFR is very fun to play with. 120-180 fps is astounding. It's as sharp as a GH3 / GH4 at 1080p, but more prone to moire and aliassing. You have to make sure you have the background (bricks, buildings, trees) out of focus and then you're good to go. Instant production-value.

The camera feels sturdy and professional. The full-sized HDMI is the finishing touch. Recording simultaneously to dual SD cards is a blessing, especially when shooting important events like weddings. No more nervously taking the SD-card out of the camera and put in my computer with shaking hands praying to God that the footage is okay and the card is undamaged. 

Cons I've seen so far:
- Incorrect exposure when having VFR selected in combination with shutter-angle. You aren't shown the correct exposure of the shot until you press the record button. This needs to be adressed. 
- Not as impressed with IBIS as I had hoped for. 
- Battery life decreased. Probably due to Stabilizer and or dual card recording
- Image needs heavy grading to be 'filmic'. But this is the same for all Panasonic camera's and I've learned to deal with it

Great step-up from the GH3 which I've used for 4 years with great pleasure. If the GH5 proves to be as reliable as the GH3, I'm a very happy customer.

Here's the one of the first films I've shot with the GH3. I'm still surprised with what that little camera can do. If you don't have the money, you don't need a GH5 or an upgrade. But if you do, it's great fun and you feel like the future is here.

20 minutes ago, Stab said:

My first couple of tests with the GH5 show that Natural is the best picture profile, as it was on the GH3 also. When everything turned down -3 or -4 (contrast / saturation), there isn't much difference with it's close contender Cinelike D. Mind you, Cinelike D is flatter but also some color tonalities are lost. Especially in the greens.

Cinelike D might show a small improvement in DR, but never more than a (0.5) stop. With Filmconvert applied with it's standard curve, the difference in dynamic range is lost and Natural wins with better colors. Some grass for instance has a yellow tinge to it in real life and on Natural, which just becomes a single colored green on Cinelike D.

So for me it will be Natural as the way to go. Like709 has the best colors out of the box, but not the best DR without tweaking every shot which I'm not going to do when shooting weddings. I didn't get the V-LOG update though so I can't comment on that.

Forget about Portrait, Standard, Vivid, etc. I see no reason to shoot in those profiles as they don't offer any more 'natural' color over Natural and no improvement in DR or gradeabillity whatsoever. 

Then the stabilizer. I'm using a Sigma 18-35 with a SpeedBooster XL, so not supported by the camera. I have to manually input the focal length and naturally I can not make us of Dual IS. My findings are that it works fine for handheld shots which are pretty steady or make a small movement or pan. However, I tried to walk with it on and it mostly gave pretty poor results. Similar to warp stabilizer, it was warping all over the place on the side of my screen. Don't expect miracles if you don't have native lenses is my take on it. Oh yea, and it DRAINS your battery. With the GH3 I could go for hours on a single battery. Today I almost went through a full charge in like 90 minutes.

What else? The 4K at 50p is astounding. The image is chrystal clear without being oversharpened. It's not lacking DR unless you start pushing it with very contrasty situations.The VFR is very fun to play with. 120-180 fps is astounding. It's as sharp as a GH3 / GH4 at 1080p, but more prone to moire and aliassing. You have to make sure you have the background (bricks, buildings, trees) out of focus and then you're good to go. Instant production-value.

The camera feels sturdy and professional. The full-sized HDMI is the finishing touch. Recording simultaneously to dual SD cards is a blessing, especially when shooting important events like weddings. No more nervously taking the SD-card out of the camera and put in my computer with shaking hands praying to God that the footage is okay and the card is undamaged. 

Cons I've seen so far:
- Incorrect exposure when having VFR selected in combination with shutter-angle. You aren't shown the correct exposure of the shot until you press the record button. This needs to be adressed. 
- Not as impressed with IBIS as I had hoped for. 
- Battery life decreased. Probably due to Stabilizer and or dual card recording
- Image needs heavy grading to be 'filmic'. But this is the same for all Panasonic camera's and I've learned to deal with it

Great step-up from the GH3 which I've used for 4 years with great pleasure. If the GH5 proves to be as reliable as the GH3, I'm a very happy customer.

Here's the one of the first films I've shot with the GH3. I'm still surprised with what that little camera can do. If you don't have the money, you don't need a GH5 or an upgrade. But if you do, it's great fun and you feel like the future is here.

According to Paul Leeming, V-Log has two stops more dynamic range than Cinelike D on the GH5.

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

According to Paul Leeming, V-Log has two stops more dynamic range than Cinelike D on the GH5.

That would be great. Very great even.

But for my line of work, I prefer not to work with V-LOG. Could be great though if it's true.

9 hours ago, lmackreath said:

quick try with filmconverts new gh5 profile

Hmmm... which film stock was this? The reds and blues are still very Panasonic looking to me.

I'm not sure how much effort FilmConvert really put in to optimising their profiles for each camera or even each set of camera settings. The same scene shot in different picture styles with the relevant FilmConvert profiles applied should look similar, yet they often don't.

2 hours ago, Stab said:

Like709 has the best colors out of the box, but not the best DR without tweaking every shot

Paul Leeming said on FB:

Dynamic range results, best to worst:

1. V-Log by about two stops.
2. Cine-D (just a bit better than Like709, but not by much)
3. Like709

Basically, with the knee control set to Point: 80 and Slope: 99 (showed maximal gains), it looks very similar in curve to Cine-D, only with a touch less dynamic range in the shadows. I mean, a really little bit of difference.

If you like 709L colours the most, try adjusting the knee to get more DR (and report back!). Did you record your tests? It would be great to see samples.

So here's a test of the GH5's AF. I used the 709 Profile, 14-140 lens and center area AF. Focus was set for CAF to see if any hunting occurred and if so, to what degree. I've shot in this same mall with the Sony A6300 & A7Rii with results that weren't as good. At times these other cameras would lock on to areas and objects behind the subject. 

Given all the things I've read on some sites, the AF has been far better than I expected. I've really had excellent success. Yes, if you look closely you'll see a bit of hunting in a couple of clips, but nothing really disturbing. If I wasn't testing the AF, but still wanted to use AF, I would probably have used 'lock on AF'.