Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

24 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I just did a quick compare

a7szoomcompare.jpg

gx85zoomcompare.jpg

What lenses?

I would love to see you use the same zoom lens on each.

I might do that using a Canon APSC kit lens though will be the GX7 and A7s.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, zmarty said:

Do you remember the settings for the first video? What is your opinion of the pans in the first video? I think there are movement problems, I don't know why.

To me, it doesn't look great. The ghosting is causing a strobing effect with anything with contrast. Especially with some of the pans near the end of the first video. I couldn't use that for professional work but I guess it's fine for personal footage? Colors look great though. It is only $2000. I wonder what the larger files will bring in the summer.

7 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Shutter speed is too fast, IBIS is not switched on, and camera movments are too fast.

I just assumed it was 1/50 (180 on this camera) because any respectable shooter would set it on that for 24fps, but looking at his notes he didn't write down the ss.

Can you share some contrasty shots with simple pans and tilts?

58 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I just did a quick compare

a7szoomcompare.jpg

gx85zoomcompare.jpg

Clearzoom VS ETC, same lens used on each camera. (which is an APSC lens used FF on the A7s).

This is off topic though, my original point was simply that I wish Panasonic would make ETC variable as Sony does, so that way, if someone likes the quality of ETC at 2x, why wouldn't they like it variable for less than 2x?

clearzoom VS ETC.jpg

13 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Very odd. I got my GH5 yesterday, and as usually happens whenever I get a new camera, it rained. So all my testing was indoors, as I went through the house with lights off and on, testing AF with a 14-140 lens. When the lights were off, it was fairly dark given the weather we had been having. I experienced nothing like what he did with the AF.

I'm surprised he never tried a central zone for his AF mode as I did in my tests. Most often I was testing objects and not faces since my wife wasn't home, but I still would have used a center zone if I was only doing faces. I learned from my G85 that that's often more reliable than face tracking. 

I found the AF to be much improved over my G85 as well as my RX10iii and in the same ballpark as my now sold A6300.

On another unrelated note, I watched his entire video and was trying to figure out why his split screen tests with the tele extender mode (as it was labeled) was less zoomed than the side without it. Unless I'm misinterpreting what he did, it looked to be mislabeled. 

When I first saw this test (Max Yuryev's AF test), I thought it was pretty disappointing myself. After all, it would seem that for the simplest of scenarios - a subject moving slowly toward the camera, at a steady pace, with no erratic, unpredictable movement and no obstacles, that the camera's default settings in AF-C should be able to handle it without having to dive into the menu and spend hours customizing the settings. And I also believed this method of testing video AF-C was the best - it's the one most commonly used by photographers to test autofocus tracking, people walking directly toward the camera or riding a bicycle...  for the reason that tracking a person or vehicle moving horizontally shouldn't be that demanding. Then I started to ask myself how often I would have a subject move from the back of the room directly toward the camera if I were doing the kind of narrative work I intend to do. And the answer came back, 'never'. For vlogging, I see many YouTubers using AF-C when AF-S would work much better. For example, if I'm at home sitting in front of my computer and talking to the camera, there really isn't any need for me to set the camera to autofocus continuous. Yet many YouTubers do just that. The same goes for vlogging out on the street Casey Neistat syle - If I'm holding the gimbal in my outstretched arm three feet from my face, AF-S works fine. Of course, I realize that for event shooters, wedding photographers and sports photographers, it can be a deal breaker, but if I were vlogging or shooting a budget film, I don't think it would be that critical. Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

When I first saw this test (Max Yuryev's AF test), I thought it was pretty disappointing myself. After all, it would seem that for the simplest of scenarios - a subject moving slowly toward the camera, at a steady pace, with no erratic, unpredictable movement and no obstacles, that the camera's default settings in AF-C should be able to handle it without having to dive into the menu and spend hours customizing the settings. And I also believed this method of testing video AF-C was the best - it's the one most commonly used by photographers to test autofocus tracking, people walking directly toward the camera or riding a bicycle...  for the reason that tracking a person or vehicle moving horizontally shouldn't be that demanding. Then I started to ask myself how often I would have a subject move from the back of the room directly toward the camera if I were doing the kind of narrative work I intend to do. And the answer came back, 'never'. For vlogging, I see many YouTubers using AF-C when AF-S would work much better. For example, if I'm at home sitting in front of my computer and talking to the camera, there really isn't any need for me to set the camera to autofocus continuous. Yet many YouTubers do just that. The same goes for vlogging out on the street Casey Neistat syle - If I'm holding the gimbal in my outstretched arm three feet from my face, AF-S works fine. Of course, I realize that for event shooters, wedding photographers and sports photographers, it can be a deal breaker, but if I were vlogging or shooting a budget film, I don't think it would be that critical. Or am I missing something?

My main concern would be using it on a gimbal with a fairly wide aperture.  But even doing something like vlogging.. if it is a moving shot with a narrow DOF, a reliable AF-C seems pretty important. 
For most other stuff, I'd be ok with going to manual focus. 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I guess I should be the only one to write it here today for the umpteenth time but tap to focus is already present in my 5-years GF5 and works just fine!

Paul Leeming posted this example of extreme VLog ghosting at high ISO on the GH5 facebook page:

17632080_1646852818662474_60916158542389

Another user mentioned that Panasonic has said that if there is a demand to turn off NR completely, they will do it. Perhaps it's time to voice your concerns to Panasonic if ghosting like this is a problem for you.

Personally, I would prefer to control the NR myself, and I'm sure many others would too.

6 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Paul Leeming posted this example of extreme VLog ghosting at high ISO on the GH5 facebook page:

17632080_1646852818662474_60916158542389

Another user mentioned that Panasonic has said that if there is a demand to turn off NR completely, they will do it. Perhaps it's time to voice your concerns to Panasonic if ghosting like this is a problem for you.

Personally, I would prefer to control the NR myself, and I'm sure many others would too.

That's what I was curious about, movement with high contrast objects in indoor lighting.

2 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Anyone knows what's the best way to get in touch with Panasonic regarding this issue?

On 3/18/2017 at 3:32 AM, Stanley said:

live vox. Handheld grip/GH5 with Rode Lavs

On 3/19/2017 at 11:45 AM, jonpais said:

Hope to see the completed video soon!

I've been looking for a tag on your videos...what's happened ? 

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

Jon, it was my understanding that regardless of how you set AF-C/AF-S, when shooting video, it defaults to AF-C. However using the AF/AE hold button (assuming you set it to AF), the AF will set itself on the subject once, and remain there. Of course I too could be confused. ;)