Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

The key is that with the 709 profile you have to adjust the knee in order to get the extended dynamic range.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
36 minutes ago, Philip Lipetz said:

The key is that with the 709 profile you have to adjust the knee in order to get the extended dynamic range.

From the quote

OK, so I've done a test of Cine-D, Like709 with knee adjusted to give maximum dynamic range, and V-Log.

14 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Some off the cuff comparisons between um4.6 and gh5.

Would like to see skin off different types of interior lights, wide and cu, and also mixed lights.

Interesting, GH5 seems to have a similar magenta tint that I see in GH4 stuff often. 

it is quite awesome, that the losless tele converter now also works in 4K (in contrast to the GX80, sadly), so that users get a 1.4x crop which is nearly the same as having two focal lengths with just one lens. This together with the Summilux 12 as praised by @jonpais would make it quite awesome... Must resist.

Hello,
I would need you help:

I tried today to get the ext. Telephoto to work in photo and video mode. Page 53 of the handbook. I followed all the steps and have assigned the function button to zoom, but whatever I do, it stays greyed out. 
I have no problem activating it in photo and video mode on the GH4 but the GH5 seems to need other settings. 

Can anybody help?

32 minutes ago, jase said:

it is quite awesome, that the losless tele converter now also works in 4K (in contrast to the GX80, sadly), so that users get a 1.4x crop which is nearly the same as having two focal lengths with just one lens. This together with the Summilux 12 as praised by @jonpais would make it quite awesome... Must resist.

Convince Panasonic to make it variable like Sony does, that way you get a whole range of focal lengths with the one lens or use a fast prime as a zoom (12 1.4  zoom lens anyone?).     Wonder if they could do that via firmware?

Technically it's not like like having 2 or 3 lenses. The characteristics of a 12mm zoomed 2x (in camera) is going to look different than using an actual 24mm. You'll get the same FOV but it's going to look different. Think about the scene in Jaws where they do a dolly out - zoom in. That would look entirely different if you were dollying out while digitally scaling the image.

12 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Technically it's not like like having 2 or 3 lenses. The characteristics of a 12mm zoomed 2x (in camera) is going to look different than using an actual 24mm. You'll get the same FOV but it's going to look different. Think about the scene is Jaws where they do a dolly out - zoom in. That would look entirely different if you were dollying out while digitally scaling the image.

I have used the Sony variable zoom in my A7s with a few different lenses (including a 24mm 1.4 FD as well as an 85 1.2) for stills and video and in better hands than mine it can be very useful in video I think.      It also allows you to use smaller sensor lenses without vignetting sometimes with just a little zoom (1.1x or 1.3x might be enough).     That is more useful to me with a FF camera and APSC lenses but I think it would also be nice with some smaller than M4/3 lenses.    Of course with the A7s I also have an APSC mode and it works great with that too for even more range.

In video, it might be useful for example with macro distance subjects or to "zoom in" on a person or animal (or zombie's) eye or zoom out for a scene or zooming in/out with a product shot.

1 hour ago, jase said:

Saw your film on Peru!!...beautiful!...I would say must not resist!:glasses::glasses:

I'm hoping there are some settings he didn't have right for this test, because the AF performance here is pretty disappointing :(

Also a bit concerned that the camera will not fit correctly on the Zhiyun Crane (he mentioned it a bit earlier in the video). Still usable, but not ideal. 

31 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Yeah, at first, I was lukewarm, then hyped with some of the footage, and now it's a no go with that ghosting.

Yes, it's there. But have you ever spotted ghosting in any of the real world low light tests completed so far?

I've seen ghosting when freeze framing some footage (the low light V-Log stuff from Emmanuel Pampuri) - but it's not noticeable to me during playback from what I've seen so far. And ghosting is something that really bugs me, having wrestled with it extensively on the XC10. Even in this video, which is the classic wave-the-camera-around-to-show-ghosting, you have to kind of concentrate to spot it.