Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

2 minutes ago, Phil A said:

You do, it's just that that's how VLog L is specified according to the white paper apparently, the other profiles use the full 10bit.

I was only interested in 10bit for V-Log L.

The GH5 is still amazing, no doubt, but it was so close to being epic...the compression and odd 10bit implementation just kills it for me.

Not sure the 400Mbps ALL-I can save it. Really don't wanna use an external recorder - that'll basically defeat what attracted me to the GH5 in the first place.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

I was only interested in 10bit for V-Log L.

The GH5 is still amazing, no doubt, but it was so close to being epic...the compression and odd 10bit implementation just kills it for me.

Not sure the 400Mbps ALL-I can save it. Really don't wanna use an external recorder - that'll basically defeat what attracted me to the GH5 in the first place.

I don't see any problem with the codec or 10 bit or 9 bit color information, the quite strong processing even when sharpening and nr is turned down to -5 worries me quite more. No professional camera does this...

14 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

Damn, you guys... I've had it in my cart ready to buy....

Honestly, if you want a camera that is gonna be very user friendly, ergonomic, light-weight, stabilised, with a video image that is about 90% of what video cameras 10 times as much produce, plus can take killer photos, get the GH5.

Despite its codec/10bit short-comings, I am still yet to cancel my two pre-orders. For my style of shooting, "run and gun" and live-event work, it is a phenomenal piece of kit.

30 minutes ago, deezid said:

I don't see any problem with the codec or 10 bit or 9 bit color information, the quite strong processing even when sharpening and nr is turned down to -5 worries me quite more. No professional camera does this...

I guess only on high ISOs, right?

37 minutes ago, arson519 said:

so my canadian preorder is on backorder so i decided on Wednesday to order from B&H and i got one shipped today. There must be tons at B&H was not expecting it this soon :)

You ordered it from B&H just in time, it's now sold out.

41 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

Thanks Ken. I'm one of those agonizers. I can put it in the cart, but can't pull the trigger.

Just wait a bit, there are plenty of people here that will have it soon and test it inside and out, so you'll have your questions answered. Wait for the reports to see if the quality control is good. Maybe you like the GH5 enough to buy instead of rent it? Maybe a GH5 buyer will sell it to you after he decides he needs more then 6400 iso?

I am having major issues with V-Log on the GH5. I see significant ghosting and some sort of banding when I pan left and right. It only happens in V-Log, regardless of frame rate, aperture, or shutter speed. I am familiar with S-Log so maybe I am missing something obvious with V-Log?

22 minutes ago, zmarty said:

I am having major issues with V-Log on the GH5. I see significant ghosting and some sort of banding when I pan left and right. It only happens in V-Log, regardless of frame rate, aperture, or shutter speed. I am familiar with S-Log so maybe I am missing something obvious with V-Log?

Post frame grabs.

Does it happen at all ISOs?

10 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Post frame grabs.

Does it happen at all ISOs?

I can do even better than that, I will post test videos:

Natural: http://files.hdrcolorgrading.com/2017-04-GH5-Tests/natural.MP4

V-Log: http://files.hdrcolorgrading.com/2017-04-GH5-Tests/vlog.MP4

These are UHD 60fps, straight from the camera and untouched. The videos were taken seconds from one another. The only difference between them is the picture profile.

The natural profile has issues as well, but the V-Log problems are quite severe. I hope it's something really simple that I am missing.

I don't know the value of the ISO, I will try more detailed experiments tomorrow.