Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, VIKTORVISUAL said:

Hi , can you tell me is SanDisk 128GB 95MB/s - SDXC is good for GH5 50p 60p recording? Thanks

Yes it should be. I'm using 64 GB cards with a 60 MB/s write speed and it works fine.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, Stab said:

Yes it should be. I'm using 64 GB cards with a 60 MB/s write speed and it works fine.

Yes I know that the card is 95MB/s   and the camera records at  150 Mbit/s so  totaly different ,  but I asked all that tested GH5 nobody replied so far. I think it's more marketing that you need to buy minimum 150MB/s or 300MB/s,  but maybe I am wrong

With the summer update, and if you're going to record 400 Mbp/s ALL-I, then a 60MB/s card will just be barely enough. With the 95MB/s card you're absolutely good to go for every recording mode.

Does anyone know the base / native ISO of the GH5 yet? I read mixed information. Some say it's ISO 200. The manual says that V-LOG shoots at ISO 400 at minimum. And some websites claim it's either 400 or even 800.

Anyone who knows this for sure?

1 hour ago, Stab said:

I've realised that when I turn IBIS on with the option E-stabilization, that there is a fair amount of cropping going on. In the manual says this 'might induce cropping', so that means it doesn't happen to anyone. Does this happen because I use non-compatible lenses with a Speed Booster? I've tried setting a different focal length as the input, but it doesn't make any difference.

Also, the anti-shake stabilzation with the hand symbol, actually does seem to work and without any additional crop. Does it matter which focal length I set for input for the anti-shake stabilization?

It works the same way on the G85, some cropping when E-stabilization is activated. I'd suspect, based on how E-stabilization works by sensor cropping, it would do this with all lenses. 

To be honest, I haven't seen a significant difference between IBIS2 and then adding E-stabilization on top of that. It may work differently on the GH5. 

8 hours ago, zmarty said:

Adorama just shipped my GH5 overnight. It will get here (US, West Coast) by 10AM in the morning!

Congrats! When I've ordered newly released cameras from Best Buy, they too shipped the camera the night before the release date so as to arrive on the release date. B&H did not do that (and I ordered within 2 minutes of when it first went up for preorder at B&H). :(

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Ratgeber/Panasonic-GH5---Like709-Profil-das-bessere--und-kostenlose--V-Log-.html

Another (german) article from Slashcam, this time about V-Log L and how good it fills the 10bit color depth on the GH5. Due to compatibility to V-Log on VariCam, the V-Log L apparently only uses ~545 of the available color values (so slightly more than 9 out of 10bit) in contrast to other profiles.They say Like709 is a very interesting alternative.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

Congrats! When I've ordered newly released cameras from Best Buy, they too shipped the camera the night before the release date so as to arrive on the release date. B&H did not do that (and I ordered within 2 minutes of when it first went up for preorder at B&H). :(

i pre ordered mine in feb from best buy and they did not ship yesterday. updated ship date of 4-3 :/

The colours are different and possibly more pleasing than the other profiles. The "knee" is adjustable (highlight rolloff) so there's the potential for retaining more dynamic range than the standard profiles. Plus you get to use all of the 1024 bits, whereas V-Log is truncated.

But, to date, nobody has shown comparisons extensive enough to draw any solid conclusions on colour and dynamic range. There is a handful of tantalising vids on YouTube that merely hint at its potential.

48 minutes ago, Stab said:

Can someone explain to me what shooting in Like709 bascially does? I don't quite understand it.

At several differnt location I have been told by people who had the prototype cameras that Like709 was the way to go unless I was recording to an external recorder, then V Log L.

Question, Slashcam.de has shown that VLog on the GH5 is truncated so has only half the expeted bits depth . Like709 is not supposed to be truncated. Is the external VLog feed truncated? 

@Philip Lipetz If I understood their article right then yes. The issue is not the compression (as compared with the external recording remark) but the fact that the GH5 puts the DR within the 10bit, but it spreads it over the same area as the VariCam would use for that DR, leaving some space empty that is "reserved" for the additional DR of the VariCam.

Hypothetical example, not accurate:

OOOOOOOOOO
10bit VLog with 100% DR of the VariCam, filling the complete 10bit

OOOOOOOOO_
10bit VLog with 100% DR of the GH5, filling only slightly over 9bit out of 10

But behold, it's still double the values of 8bit. People in the know have to test if - and even more important when - that makes a real life difference.

1 hour ago, Philip Lipetz said:

ike709 is not supposed to be truncated. Is the external VLog feed truncated? 

It's exactly the same as the internal one. 10 Bit (or 9 Bit).

Still 4 times more information than the the 8 Bit V-Log on the GH4...

54 minutes ago, deezid said:

It's exactly the same as the internal one. 10 Bit (or 9 Bit).

Still 4 times more information than the the 8 Bit V-Log on the GH4...

And what about when you shoot 4k 50p at 8-bit in Like 709?

8 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

2017, and we're still not getting real 10bit from the billion dollar tech giants.

Blackmagic for the win.

You do, it's just that that's how VLog L is specified according to the white paper apparently, the other profiles use the full 10bit.