Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

15 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I decide it's a keeper too!! Christmas came early in Norway for once and I got my camera yesterday. Gonna play with it today and do some light testing. The screen and viewfinder is very nice! And look at that Leica lens @jonpais ;) 

IMG_4057.JPG

Jealous! Mine won't arrive till April or even May. :( Variable aperture universal zoom or no ( :) ), I'm really liking the compactness of going out with one native lens mounted on the camera and two fast primes in a small bag. Especially now that I'll be going out on location with lighting gear - I can still carry almost everything by myself (at least to the street corner, where I'll take a taxi). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Jealous! Mine won't arrive till April or even May. :( Variable aperture universal zoom or no ( :) ), I'm really liking the compactness of going out with one native lens mounted on the camera and two fast primes in a small bag. Especially now that I'll be going out on location with lighting gear - I can still carry almost everything by myself (at least to the street corner, where I'll take a taxi). 

I was told last week that mine would arrive mid April, maybe.. So this was a nice surprise! The zoom has very nice build, a little longer but pretty similar to the 12mm in size with nice focus and zoom rings. Maybe not a replacement for high-end primes, but it seems solid. With the 40% off kit price it was a no-brainer really. Excited to see how the colors compare to the other Leica lenses, and obviously how it performs in general.

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I can still carry almost everything by myself (at least to the street corner, where I'll take a taxi). 

hehe :)

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

Hugh Brownstone decides the GH5 is a keeper. Here he does low light tests. Unlike so many of these talking heads whose faces look like magenta marshmallow blobs (99% of what I've seen here), Hugh at least has enough respect for his audience to correctly light, expose, and white balance his face. I can't really take many of these other reviewers seriously when they don't even know the very basics of photography. And yes, I will be getting the GH5.

A very common sense evaluation to low light, IMO.

Interestingly, to my eyes, the GH5 actually looked a bit cleaner at ISO 3200 & 6400 than the Sony. He also had an F2.8 on the GH5 and an F2 on the Sony. Beyond 6400, it was all A6300.

36 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

A very common sense evaluation to low light, IMO.

100% agreed. I start getting nervous when I have to go to 3200 on 5D3 MLRAW, so the fact that that 3200 on the GH5 is more than adequate absolutely delights me. Pop a Speedbooster on there, as has been mentioned many times, and it's outperforming a full frame camera.

What kills me with 5D3 noise is the very low frequency banding which looks entirely unnatural. The GH5 noise, on the other hand, just looks grainy - and that's fine.

14 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I really like this guy's videos.  If somebody is taking a magnifying glass to the dark shadow areas the image, the real failure is the composition of the shot.  Noise only becomes a problem when it steals away focus from the message.  ISO 6400 is clean enough where it should never happen.  At 12800, I think it the composition needs to be strong for things like b-roll.

Bang on the money. This applies to all cameras, all lenses, at all times. How easily we can become unproductive because of a gnat almost out of shot that only a Pharisee would highlight - whilst ignoring the magnificent camel filling 99.9% of the shot.

17 hours ago, jonpais said:

Hugh Brownstone decides the GH5 is a keeper. Here he does low light tests. Unlike so many of these talking heads whose faces look like magenta marshmallow blobs (99% of what I've seen here), Hugh at least has enough respect for his audience to correctly light, expose, and white balance his face. I can't really take many of these other reviewers seriously when they don't even know the very basics of photography. And yes, I will be getting the GH5.

Agreed Jonpais!...he all did a slow mo test you may find interesting as you and I both find him a valuable information source... just pre-ordered mine today...won't get it till end May early June, but very happy that the whole process has started.

11 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I decide it's a keeper too!! Christmas came early in Norway for once and I got my camera yesterday. Gonna play with it today and do some light testing. The screen and viewfinder is very nice! And look at that Leica lens @jonpais ;) 

IMG_4057.JPG

@Fredrik Lyhne...would very much appreciate a few words of your impression of the Leica 12-60 when you've had some time with it...I already have the 12-60 but in the US where my camera will come from, they don't offer the Kit you bought...won't have my GH5 for another couple of months but bought this lens specially for the GH5...thanks in advance and feel free to PM if you prefer...

14 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@Fredrik Lyhne...would very much appreciate a few words of your impression of the Leica 12-60 when you've had some time with it...I already have the 12-60 but in the US where my camera will come from, they don't offer the Kit you bought...won't have my GH5 for another couple of months but bought this lens specially for the GH5...thanks in advance and feel free to PM if you prefer...

Sure, I was actually considering asking you the same thing, but then mine suddenly arrived :) So you have the lens but no m43 camera at the moment? 

I will be comparing it to my 12-35mm and other Pana Leica primes, 12mm, 15mm, 25 and 42,5mm and see if I can put something together. I leave for work on Monday and will be away for two and half weeks, but I will try to find time to do some light testing in the weekend. Is there anything special you had in mind?

Keep in mind though, you're a Varicam user, I'm just an enthusiast :)

I can post in this thread and tag you?

5 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Sure, I was actually considering asking you the same thing, but then mine suddenly arrived :) So you have the lens but no m43 camera at the moment? 

I will be comparing it to my 12-35mm and other Pana Leica primes, 12mm, 15mm, 25 and 42,5mm and see if I can put something together. I leave for work on Monday and will be away for two and half weeks, but I will try to find time to do some light testing in the weekend. Is there anything special you had in mind?

Keep in mind though, you're a Varicam user, I'm just an enthusiast :)

I can post in this thread and tag you?

???

Enjoy your new lens, Fredrik!

I've realised that when I turn IBIS on with the option E-stabilization, that there is a fair amount of cropping going on. In the manual says this 'might induce cropping', so that means it doesn't happen to anyone. Does this happen because I use non-compatible lenses with a Speed Booster? I've tried setting a different focal length as the input, but it doesn't make any difference.

Also, the anti-shake stabilzation with the hand symbol, actually does seem to work and without any additional crop. Does it matter which focal length I set for input for the anti-shake stabilization?