Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mercer said:

At the risk of sounding like a total dick here and I of all people have no right to, but I just don't get some people on this forum. I know most things are subjective, but that Kholi footage is probably the nicest GH5 footage I have seen and people complain about it?!

WTF?! 

It's one of the golden rules of the internet:  by posting contrarian ideas it offers those making such claims a sense of authority.  i.e. they know something we don't know therefore they're smarter and better than you.

Hey, if I'm being honest, I'm guilty of this too.  I can't visit nofilmschool without this urge bubbling to the surface.  It's a techniques that gives blowhards like me a shortcut to sounding (self) important.

At it's core, I think, this sort of thing is a matter of insecurity.  Haters gonna hate, imaright?

11 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

It's one of the golden rules of the internet:  by posting contrarian ideas it offers those making such claims a sense of authority.  i.e. they know something we don't know therefore they're smarter and better than you.

Hey, if I'm being honest, I'm guilty of this too.  I can't visit nofilmschool without this urge bubbling to the surface.  It's a techniques that gives blowhards like me a shortcut to sounding (self) important.

At it's core, I think, this sort of thing is a matter of insecurity.  Haters gonna hate, imaright?

Nobody's talking about hating anything, and it doesn't sound to me like anyone is trying to come across as smarter than anybody else. 'Not a fan of this in & out focus technique' sounds like a perfectly reasonable and sane critique to me. And nobody that I know of was attacking anybody personally.

A guy is posting a GH5 video as a test so all of us can see what can be achieved with the camera (plus a very good lens) and the first thing that cross the mind of some ppl is that auto focus is bad (as far as i can tell the lens is manual focus) and the style is not so good (jerky). Ok then...

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

a perfectly reasonable and sane critique to me. And nobody that I know of was attacking anybody personally.

Granted, but when most subjects on this thread tend to be IQ and skintonethis/skintonethat then people are knocking the handheld technique, I think it's a little unnecessary in the context of stuff.  Like I said, I spout off on tons of info I probably shouldn't --but to be clear, I'm not opening discouraging anyone from sayin' anything, just projecting my own insecurities. 

10 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

from Kholi Hicks...

"GH5 w V-Log
UHD out to BMD 4K ASSIST/ProRes HQ (Does not take the DCI 4K signal)
V-Log to Comet Color LUT (early 
early stages, converted from my B-Side LUT for Blackmagic's Ursa Mini 4.6K/Pro)
Sony Cinealta 4K 35 and 25mm (In that order) w/HotRod Cameras PL mount 
NiSi IR ND 1.8

Early thoughts: Reminds me of the A7SII, honestly. Not that far off, nearly same color and aesthetic, less rolling shutter of course. Pana may beat out the A7SII for base color, though.

Tell your favorite LUT builder to jump on building some, not a huge fan of what comes out of the camera stock. Alexa to Rec709 doesn't look bad as a starting point, still needs a fair amount of massaging IMO.

Don't have much time with it, going to mess with CineV and acquire some more V-Log footage to tune the Comet Color port."

Very nice. I've used Kholi's LUTs since 2013, as well as Captain Hooks.

There are different tastes and that's why a lot of this is subjective. Some people like the realistic video look. I tend to like a more "cinematic" look, but I don't think this is subjective... that is the nicest looking GH5 footage I have seen and if you don't like it, you may just be better off with a G85, because 10bit VLog will not add anything for you. 

I agree that this lut looks promising. A lot of test videos to date have looked video-ish.

I also really liked the colour and tonality of the Rec709L vid posted a few pages back.

I'm very interested to see how forthcoming luts for VLog, or a modified Rec709L, can push the image feel of this camera into higher end territory.

I had great results matching my XC10 to Magic Lantern Cinelog-C. Looking forward to knuckling down to the GH5 with a Colorchecker and 3D Lut Creator or Resolve.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

At the risk of sounding like a total dick here and I of all people have no right to, but I just don't get some people on this forum. I know most things are subjective, but that Kholi footage is probably the nicest GH5 footage I have seen and people complain about it?!

WTF?! 

+1

2 hours ago, Bizz said:

A guy is posting a GH5 video as a test so all of us can see what can be achieved with the camera (plus a very good lens) and the first thing that cross the mind of some ppl is that auto focus is bad (as far as i can tell the lens is manual focus) and the style is not so good (jerky). Ok then...

No, that is not what I said. I said 'if this were being used to demonstrate the AF of the camera....". Obviously it was not shot with AF or it would be deemed the worst AF ever seen in a camera. What's amusing to me is that some people complain about AF misses when a camera is used in that mode, but yet when it's done deliberately, it's just super. 

Further, if I wasn't clear in what I was saying, it's quite different saying you don't like the 'technique' used (which is what I was saying) as opposed to not liking the quality of the clips that comprise the video. Often we can see beyond 'technique' if it's not to our taste, when assessing the quality of the camera.

Finally, to infer from my post, "they know something we don't know therefore they're smarter and better than you." is so far beyond a stretch, it almost leaves me breathless.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

There are different tastes and that's why a lot of this is subjective. Some people like the realistic video look. I tend to like a more "cinematic" look, but I don't think this is subjective... that is the nicest looking GH5 footage I have seen and if you don't like it, you may just be better off with a G85, because 10bit VLog will not add anything for you. 

How is this not subjective? You think it's the nicest looking GH5 footage, and of course you're entitled to that opinion, but does that mean everyone in the world must think that too? I just don't get some of the comments here. It's kind of like 'my way or the highway'.

14 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

No, that is not what I said. I said 'if this were being used to demonstrate the AF of the camera....". Obviously it was not shot with AF or it would be deemed the worst AF ever seen in a camera. What's amusing to me is that some people complain about AF misses when a camera is used in that mode, but yet when it's done deliberately, it's just super. 

Further, if I wasn't clear in what I was saying, it's quite different saying you don't like the 'technique' used (which is what I was saying) as opposed to not liking the quality of the clips that comprise the video. Often we can see beyond 'technique' if it's not to our taste, when assessing the quality of the camera.

Finally, to infer from my post, "they know something we don't know therefore they're smarter and better than you." is so far beyond a stretch, it almost leaves me breathless.

How is this not subjective? You think it's the nicest looking GH5 footage, and of course you're entitled to that opinion, but does that mean everyone in the world must think that too? I just don't get some of the comments here. It's kind of like 'my way or the highway'.

Nah, not that at all. There are just some truths in life... The Godfather is one of the best films ever made, Pizza is good, The Beatles are the best band ever, and Kholi's GH5 footage is the best GH5 footage posted thus far. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, you should be able to recognize these simple truths. 

18 minutes ago, mercer said:

Nah, not that at all. There are just some truths in life... The Godfather is one of the best films ever made, Pizza is good, The Beatles are the best band ever, and Kholi's GH5 footage is the best GH5 footage posted thus far. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, you should be able to recognize these simple truths. 

Oh Brother where art thou, Pizza is crap (except for a particular sweet pizza at a micro brewery), The Angels (with the late Doc Neeson).       I have not seen enough GH5 footage to comment.

18 hours ago, aldolega said:

He meant that the GH5 does not record ProRes. It records in an h.264 codec instead. To get ProRes from a GH5 you would need to hook it up to an external recorder that does ProRes.

Ouch... I read somewhere that it should have internal ProRes 10bit... sorry!
Anyway I tried to preview Luke Neumann's 24fps and 30 fps files and it is not possible. I don't understand why....

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Pity, I'm just not as astute as you, even though I do like pizza, The Godfather and The Beatles. 3 out of 4 ain't bad. 

• Super Members

I reckon you've got a GH5 that was meant for the Australian market with that screen mate.

In a world of vlogs with people being "brand ambassadors" and having highly dubious product placement relationships with manufacturers, the segment from 2 minutes to 3 minutes is probably the most effective ethics statement I've ever seen!!

"Anyway, I told him to fuck off. I said fuck off. What a dickhead"

:):) :) 

Liked the Khoi footage a lot!!...Interesting how the stabilization reacts when the camera's moved rapidly...looks like the movement of a really heavy shoulder mount camera....that kind smooth handheld that only seems to come from a lot of weight...rolling shutter or complete lack thereof is fantastic...grade is beautiful....really beautiful stuff!...

41 minutes ago, Matt Holder said:

While you guys debate about skin tones and color here is something very impressive - IBIS is working a treat here

check the shot at 32s. 

I don't see anyplace where it states that it is only in camera Stabilazation. Not saying it isn't, but he did use 3 differenent lenses. Hard for me to believe, they all look like a it's on a Ronin.